Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 10:24 AM

195 posts, read 333,904 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Boise, Idaho. I once lived in Tallahassee. It was a city carved into a forest. Very hilly in some parts. I really enjoyed the climate there, and the pungent smell of greenery. I have 4 cats. So moving is not going to be easy. The closer from Idaho, the better. Tallahassee would be a very, very long hike. Is there another city that is closer that might substitute? I am thinking maybe Eastern Texas? Louisiana? Open to any ideas. I want to move soon. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 10:38 AM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
Baton Rouge, LA would be the most comparable to Tallahassee in terms of size and climate, but it's not going to be as green. The far north suburbs of Houston will be rather forested and lush (though not really hilly), but I'm guessing you wouldn't be interested in living near a major metropolitan area.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:44 AM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
There's also the north shore of the New Orleans metro in St. Tammany Parish. Lots of forested areas and less paved over. No hills though.

Unfortunately the only deeply forested places west of the Mississippi are going to be small towns that haven't seen much development.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Baton Rouge, LA would be the most comparable to Tallahassee in terms of size and climate, but it's not going to be as green. The far north suburbs of Houston will be rather forested and lush (though not really hilly), but I'm guessing you wouldn't be interested in living near a major metropolitan area.

I am comfortable living in cities the size of Boise, Idaho, or Tallahassee. But I can also live outside of a major metro area quite comfortably. I grew up in a small town 60 miles outside of Chicago. This to me was ideal. It doesn't necessarily have to be hilly. I suppose Baton Rouge would be quite similar. I have always been leery of Louisiana. It seems like a messed up state. But perhaps my impression of it is wrong which is why it is up for consideration.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:51 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Maybe Little Rock or Northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville/Rogers/Springdale area)?

Old 05-21-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
There's also the north shore of the New Orleans metro in St. Tammany Parish. Lots of forested areas and less paved over. No hills though.

Unfortunately the only deeply forested places west of the Mississippi are going to be small towns that haven't seen much development.

Thank you, yes that is a scary thought. (small town in Mississippi that hasn't seen much development), especially for a Midwesterner such as myself.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:52 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Baton Rouge, LA would be the most comparable to Tallahassee in terms of size and climate, but it's not going to be as green.
BR probably really close sans the hills. Somewhat larger than Tally but I'd bet it is about as close as you will find. Both capital cities, both have a major state U and an HBCU. Both have beautiful live Oaks mixed with pines. Guess Tally doesn't have an iconic river and BR doesn't have hills.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Maybe Little Rock or Northwest Arkansas (Fayetteville/Rogers/Springdale area)?

I have lived in Fayetteville, AR. It is actually nothing like Tallahassee. I can't quite put it into words. But yes I have considered it, as well. It's still a wooded area. It's more of a place where one might expect to hear a banjo in the distance.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:02 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
I have lived in Fayetteville, AR. It is actually nothing like Tallahassee. I can't quite put it into words. But yes I have considered it, as well. It's still a wooded area. It's more of a place where one might expect to hear a banjo in the distance.
Yeah I know there are major differences being that Tallahassee is almost coastal and Little Rock/NW Arkansas are closer to the Ozarks, but you mentioned wooded and hilly as characteristics you were looking for so I thought I'd mention them.

Maybe Lafayette, LA could work. I've never been but have heard great things about the place.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:09 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
Little Rock would be a little more like Tallahassee since it is still deep south. NW Arkansas isn't deep south at all. Ozark highland and strangely has a lot of cultural similarities to Tulsa and NE Oklahoma as well as Springfield, MO as they sort of evolved together through the decades due to the fact that NW Arkansas was darn near cut off from the rest of Arkansas due to the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.