Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 06:38 AM

60 posts, read 68,921 times

Advertisements

Situation married couple in their thirties earning less than 70,000 per year

Factors:
Taxes( income, property, sales),
Apartment cost
Food cost
Gasoline price
Health insurance
I was thinking Tennessee since i am a resident already there.( no state income tax but they have a food tax almost 10 percent, so maybe i pay less in income tax in another state with low income tax).
Has anyone written an article on this or done the research to know what the best states are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 02:56 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
I heard MS is the state with the lowest COL.Oklahoma,Arkansas,TN, Indiana,West Virginia, have low costs of living too.there are other cheap states too.

Last edited by C24L; 05-21-2019 at 03:04 PM..

Old 05-21-2019, 03:15 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,408,559 times
Alaska if you're really factoring in *all* states. They basically are paying people to move there as it's so isolated and of course cold.

In the mainland, Wyoming, Florida, New Hampshire, Texas, Tennessee, and South Dakota appear to have the lowest overall tax burden and most likely everything else.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:29 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,408,559 times
This is an interesting link showing a map of each state's income/sales tax rates, as well as spending power:

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/the-...es-in-the-u-s/

The states I listed above, as well as Nevada, (surprisingly) Washington state, Pennsylvania, and Indiana look like that's where you'd get the most bang for your buck.

Alaska and New Hampshire = No sales, and no state income tax.

Gas tends to be cheaper further away from large cities/population areas, and that goes for pretty much every single state. Housing costs also depend on what part of the country you're moving to, and what type/size of city you're looking for.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:05 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsandcats View Post

Factors:
Apartment cost
Food cost
Gasoline price
Health insurance
I was thinking Tennessee since i am a resident already there.( no state income tax but they have a food tax almost 10 percent, so maybe i pay less in income tax in another state with low income tax).
Has anyone written an article on this or done the research to know what the best states are?
MIT conducted a study for 2019 with the following results:

1. Mississippi
2. Arkansas
3. West Virginia
4. Tennessee
5. South Dakota
6. Alabama
7. Kentucky
8. Ohio
9. South Carolina
10. Indiana

https://www.homesnacks.net/cheapest-...ve-in-1211594/

Old 05-24-2019, 09:17 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowsandcats View Post

Factors:
Apartment cost
Food cost
Gasoline price
Health insurance
Earlier posts had some interesting links (a small quibble - the HomeSnacks link used data collected by MIT, it wasn't summarizing a study actually conducted by MIT, so some statistical/analytical rigor may have been lost).

Taxes are, of course, relevant. But remember some states have graduated, rather than uniform, rates.

Also, there are some things that you can't escape at the state level - sales tax, income tax - but other costs can vary significantly within a state: housing, auto/health insurance, for instance. So while it's tempting to look at those maps and their favorable or unfavorable color-coding, just think "there's [state] and then there's [state]." I'm in PA (Philly). If I lived a few ZIP codes away, in the 'burbs, I'd be paying much less for auto insurance but I'd have higher property taxes and would have to spend more on gas. You get the idea: it's complicated. The maps help, but you have to dig down to a much finer-level of geographic detail.

The other thing I'd consider is jobs and career. Moving to a less expensive state could have immediate benefits (more $ in your pocket), but think longer term as well. The new location will have to have employment opportunities for you (duh!) and potential for career growth. Move to an area that has openings now and has potential for growth.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:21 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Alaska if you're really factoring in *all* states. They basically are paying people to move there as it's so isolated and of course cold.

In the mainland, Wyoming, Florida, New Hampshire, Texas, Tennessee, and South Dakota appear to have the lowest overall tax burden and most likely everything else.
What? Alaska is like one of the most expensive states. Something like 130% of the national average in terms of COL.

Old 05-26-2019, 04:23 PM

1,246 posts, read 825,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
What? Alaska is like one of the most expensive states. Something like 130% of the national average in terms of COL.
Exactly.. low taxes do not a low cost of living make

To answer the original question: I would say South Dakota and Missouri. But idk whether your income will stay the same if you move.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:03 PM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
For us AL and now OK have been higher than DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.