Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2019, 10:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Don't you think that San Antonio has the intention of seeming more Mexican when compared to Houston? There is tourist money in seeming a bit exotic and places like San Antonio and Santa Fe try to retain the perception of being different.
I don't know - it's over 60 percent Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 10:27 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Boston is 43-% white and providenxe is 33% white. They're no whiter than a normal city really and the metro boston excluding NH is 67% white. Amongst millennials the Boston metro is more like 62% white. Having live in the more diverse areas I've never felt it was that white. But I think people born and raised in Boston inThe 90s and later like me just have a very different view of the city. I really haven't lived through any racial fights or strife or whatever.

But in my original comment I was say g the high proto. Of immigrant black and Latinos combined with the Portuguese Brazilian and Italian population 's of Providence make nearly any demographic of Providence more 'exotic' than most places. I also am talking about th e actual feel of the city not just the vistor places I know of, maybe tbats what the thread is bkur though..in which case the answer is New Orleans.

Boston downtown feels kind of European but 95% of it doesn't feel European at all. It's a mixture of Irish Haitian Dominican Vietnamese Italian Chinese Portuguese Cape Verdeans college students and a few residual WASPS and AAs

Old 05-29-2019, 11:10 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
The cities of Brownsville, Laredo, Eagle Pass and Del Rio along the Texas-Mexican border feels more like they are in another American state rather than another country. The streets and highways are in good condition for the most part, the lanes are clearly marked and the traffic usually moves along in a safe and non-chaotic orderly manner. Most of the signs and billboards are in English. Most of the major chain stores and restaraunts are in the area, so it still looks and feels very familiar and American, even though less than about 6% of the population is either non-Hispanic white, black, or Asian. You won't hear a whole lot of English being spoken, although many, if not most, of the natives can speak fluent English, but Spanish is their first language. Once you cross into Mexico, you automatically know you're not in the United States anymore. You can feel and can see the difference all around you.

The entire Texas region that extends West of Corpus Christi and South of San Antonio and Interstate 10 to the Mexican border feels more unique than any other region of the United States, excluding Alaska and Hawaii. I won't go so far to say it feels like another country, but it certainly feels different from what most people from other parts of the United States are use to. I would venture to say that region feels as culturally different to most Americans as the Mississippi Delta region, from South of Memphis to Vicksburg.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:35 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
The cities of Brownsville, Laredo, Eagle Pass and Del Rio along the Texas-Mexican border feels more like they are in another American state rather than another country. The streets and highways are in good condition for the most part, the lanes are clearly marked and the traffic usually moves along in a safe and non-chaotic orderly manner. Most of the signs and billboards are in English. Most of the major chain stores and restaraunts are in the area, so it still looks and feels very familiar and American, even though less than about 6% of the population is either non-Hispanic white, black, or Asian. You won't hear a whole lot of English being spoken, although many, if not most, of the natives can speak fluent English, but Spanish is their first language. Once you cross into Mexico, you automatically know you're not in the United States anymore. You can feel and can see the difference all around you.

The entire Texas region that extends West of Corpus Christi and South of San Antonio and Interstate 10 to the Mexican border feels more unique than any other region of the United States, excluding Alaska and Hawaii. I won't go so far to say it feels like another country, but it certainly feels different from what most people from other parts of the United States are use to. I would venture to say that region feels as culturally different to most Americans as the Mississippi Delta region, from South of Memphis to Vicksburg.
From what I've seen on social media, US born Mexicans anywhere in the US (including Southern Texas) speak to each other in English overwhelmingly.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:38 PM

481 posts, read 422,982 times
Portland, ME.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:47 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Chicago has a healthy dose of black Southern culture, so that's a strange thing to say.

Black Midwestern culture*. It's different. I interact with dozens of black Chicagoans at work and trust me, the only thing "southern" about them is where their ancestors lived. Its not 1925 anymore.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Definitely Miami--it is heavily latino/south american and caribbean influenced, and feels that way overwhelmingly in the large majority of the city.

The Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens can feel like another country in certain neighborhoods due to the many different cultures and ethnicities living there.

It goes beyond demographics, though. The architecture, scenery and climate also play a role. Miami can mimic a Latin American country thanks to not just demographics, but the weather, foliage and coast also play a role. I wouldn't exactly confuse Brooklyn for Vietnam or Haiti no matter the demographic. No matter how many Somalians you are surrounded by, no part of Minneapolis will feel like Somalia.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I find that this board greatly exaggerates how "foreign" Miami feels. Just because it's a predominately Hispanic city.

Well I lived there for 18 and a half years and its not "foreign feeling" just because its predominately Hispanic, but because its predominately Hispanic with a population that refuses to learn English or assimilate. People have been living there longer than some of us have been alive but still no espeaky Ingles. You don't see this in other major US cities, even in the Southwest.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:11 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know - it's over 60 percent Hispanic.
And 84% of them were born and raised in the US. There’s nothing foreign about that. Add in the fact that it’s a military town, with conventionally built sunbelt form, and I can’t see why San Antonio isn’t one of the most American cities in the country.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:32 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

Exactly. There’s a huge difference between right along the border and what’s on the other side. The same can be said for Miami with Latin America and the Caribbean. It’s a night and day difference. You nailed it with roads, signs, drivers, chain stores and restaurants. And yeah, while many in these areas may be speaking Spanish, the majority still speak English. This is not the case once you leave the immediate US/Mexico border.

I can see how this may seem foreign to some, but every major city has different ethnic enclaves where many of the residents are one ethnicity and have storefronts in a different language.

I don’t get the Boston comparisons to Europe either. Sure it’s got some cobblestone streets and old buildings (new by European standards), but it’s never felt European when I’ve been there. Maybe for a split second you could mistake a street in the original 13 colonies for something similar in England, I’ve seen it in both, but it ends there. Colonial yes, European no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.