Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Great Plains part of the Midwest?
Yes, the Plains are Midwestern 20 32.79%
No, they are a distinct region 30 49.18%
No, they are part of the West 6 9.84%
Other 5 8.20%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:32 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is a duplicate thread. If it is, I'm sorry.

Anyway, I've heard a lot of people on this forum (but not in real life) say that the Great Plains are not part of the Midwest. Usually, these people say it is its own region, or even part of the West (!). As a Midwesterner, I disagree. I'd say the Great Plains fit very nicely in the Midwest. The U.S. Census Bureau agrees with me:

Midwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What do you think? Are the northern Great Plains (excluding TX and OK) part of the Midwest? Are they Western? Part of their own region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 07:49 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
I'm trying to think outside of what I know, and I figured those on the coasts would put the Plains together with the rest of the traditional "Midwest", even though it's culturally more "Western" and was the "Old West" before the "Real West" was founded.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:30 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,425,724 times
No, they are a distinct region.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:12 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,461 times
I live in the Great Plains and consider myself Midwestern. I think there's somewhat of a divide in my state. The western part is more western and the eastern part is more midwestern.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:03 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
I live on the Great Plains (many people don't realize Denver is on the Great Plains), and I would not consider this area to be part of the Midwest.

But there are people who do.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:09 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
^ because most people cut it off on the N.D/S.D/Nebraska/Kansas line as far as Great Plain-Midwestern States.

Colorado and Wyoming are called Mountain States because they're the breakoff. They have some Great Plains in them as a geographical feature - but not if you're going state by state breakdown.

The Great Plain states are Midwestern if you ask me, but obviously a totally different section of the Midwest from say Iowa to Ohio.

It's like saying you're from the Eastern USA. That includes Vermont and Georgia. You obviously have the northeast and the southeast.

The Midwest has the Great Lakes states and the Great Plains. The two toss-ups are Iowa and Missouri. Iowa tends to gravitate much more towards a Great Lakes state, and Missouri tends to gravitate more to the south.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:00 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,058 times
part of the midwest is in the great plains and part isn't. the answer is simple as that

Old 10-06-2010, 09:34 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,376 times
They are probably both technically "in the midwest", according to the official definition of Midwest.

But this is my take, and I think it's unique: When I've crossed into the Great Plains while traveling west, it no longer feels like the eastern United States at all. The big sky and wide-open terrain tells me that I've just crossed into a region that is very different from anything I've seen in the Great Lakes region, Northeast, Southeast, Mid-Atlantic, Upper Midwest, or whatever. There are parts of Michigan that look similar to Florida, parts of Minnesota that look similar to Ohio, parts of North Carolina that look similar to Vermont, etc. But when you enter the high plains, it just looks completely foreign to me! It happens about halfway through Kansas, or Nebraska, or Texas, or any of those states. Anyone who has made a few long road trips cross-country knows what I'm talking about.

In a weird way, the high plains of western Kansas or Nebraska remind me more of the Nevada desert than they do of anything in the Great Lakes region. There's just something about that huge sky...

You can call the Great Plains part of the Midwest if you want, and it might technically be true, but to me it is the very beginning of "Out West."

Last edited by michigan83; 10-06-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 10-06-2010, 10:00 AM

508 posts, read 1,512,168 times
Just a guess but I would say it depends on where you are from

I think to people living inland, the midwest and plains are distinct regions

I think to people living on the coasts, the midwest is pretty much everything outside of the south, mountain west, southwest and pac nw

Old 10-06-2010, 11:34 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,213 times
I have a friend from kansas city and she kept talking about how it was so much different that michigan.
With that said i think they're basically 2 different regions in one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.