Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 09:39 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,494,151 times

Advertisements

In this day and time, here the places you hear all over the internet that are booming due to growing jobs and where most of my age group can afford and can have a job (not in order):

1. Vermont (probably) (although it is a very rural state)
2. Boise, ID
3. Seattle, WA (probably)
4. Portland, OR
5. Charlotte, NC (where most young New Jerseyans relocate to)
6. Reno, NV (in the near future)
7. Albuquerque, NM (in the near future)
8. Texas (every metro area in TX)
9. SoCal (probably)
10. Phoenix, AZ

Dying places with lack of job opportunities and will only remain to be liveable to you if you don't need a job anymore (not in order):

1. New Jersey and the NY metro area
2. Santa Fe, NM
3. OKC, OK

Neutral places (never changed)

1. DC area - There are tons of government jobs all the time!
2. My typical East Coaster perspective of the Midwest

I am an IT major who can't even get an internship in NJ. I only had one unpaid internship that only lasted for a semester. Job opportunities in NJ suck trust me. Many young people today flee NJ, because there are barely any job opportunities out here and jobs don't cover the high cost of living here. I even struggled to find a retail job in NJ two summers ago until I called the grocery store to get a cashier job!! Must leave this state after college! The NY metro area is not a booming job hotspot in this generation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 10:05 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
A lot of young people are moving to Midland-Odessa,Texas because it is booming.Lots of good paying jobs.Las Cruces,New Mexico is supposed to be good for retirement.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:10 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
None of this makes any sense. SoCal and Seattle for affordability, Reno and Vermont for job market?

Old 06-08-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
A lot of young people are moving to Midland-Odessa,Texas because it is booming.Lots of good paying jobs.Las Cruces,New Mexico is supposed to be good for retirement.
That's surprising, because Midland and Odessa are so small. Too small for me. The only good part about that area is the dry weather with no humidity. If I need a sex mate and friends, I can't go to some desolate city.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
None of this makes any sense. SoCal and Seattle for affordability, Reno and Vermont for job market?
SoCal and the PNW are not NJ where the jobs don't pay enough to cover COL. I've heard from people who moved from NJ to SoCal for a good job, and they were able to afford it.

Vermont definitely has some sort of job boom especially with the "young trends" that are growing there such as the amount LGBT people living in such a rural state.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:06 AM

6,382 posts, read 5,006,598 times
That stereotype of Reno could not be further from the truth. We're dealing with an abnormally low wage-to-home-price ratio, which I'm told is one of the worst in the country - I don't know if that's actually true, but with all the homeless people around, and someone I know who has a daughter having to share an apartment with one of her friends to make rent, it sure feels like it is.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:54 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Not to mention the premise of NYC/New Jersey drying up for job opportunity, DC/Northern VA overlooked for IT jobs and Raleigh-Durham omitted versus Charlotte.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:18 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,214,232 times
These are some very odd perspectives of different regions' opportunities relative to their cost of living. The reality is that in general, the western US (where the majority of areas on the "positive" list are located) tends to have a less favorable income vs. cost of living balance than most other regions, and the most opportunity-rich metro locations are particularly expensive.

Oklahoma City doesn't belong on a "dying places" list as the job market and cost of living are both strong points for the area. It is less attractive to some young people due to the extreme climate and conservative state politics.

I would suggest looking into Columbus, Ohio which would have a significant IT job market as there are numerous corporate offices in the area for financial, insurance and retail businesses among others. Columbus has plenty of young people from many backgrounds, and is much more affordable than New Jersey. The Midwest is often greatly underrated for what it has to offer, but some places such as Columbus are starting to get more attention as the coasts keep getting more costly and congested.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:53 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
SoCal and the PNW are not NJ where the jobs don't pay enough to cover COL. I've heard from people who moved from NJ to SoCal for a good job, and they were able to afford it.

Vermont definitely has some sort of job boom especially with the "young trends" that are growing there such as the amount LGBT people living in such a rural state.
https://www.wcax.com/content/news/Re...500961581.html

Old 06-09-2019, 07:57 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.