Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 10:07 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times

Advertisements

In terms of Hispanic influence and based on the demographics, I would tier them below:

Group A++:
Miami (this because the Spanish language is so much more predominately spoken in Miami than any other place in the US)

Group A+:
San Antonio
Los Angeles

Group A- :
Houston
San Diego

Group B+:
Dallas/Fort Worth
Chicago
San Francisco Bay Area
Phoenix

Group B-:
Orlando
Las Vegas
NYC

Group C:
Denver
Sacramento

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 06-18-2019 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 11:28 PM

929 posts, read 1,903,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
In terms of Hispanic influence and based on the demographics, I would tier them below:

Group A++:
Miami (this because the Spanish language is so much more predominately spoken in Miami than any other place in the US)

Group A+:
San Antonio
Los Angeles

Group A- :
Houston
San Diego

Group B+:
Dallas/Fort Worth
Chicago
San Francisco Bay Area
Phoenix

Group B-:
Orlando
Las Vegas
NYC

Group C:
Denver
Sacramento
Good post. Do you think the Chicago area has more Hispanic influence than the NYC area?

Old 06-20-2019, 02:32 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Good post. Do you think the Chicago area has more Hispanic influence than the NYC area?
"Hispanic" in general? No, Chicago isn't as big as NY there. Mexican though? Yes, Chicago's Mexican communities have drastically more prominence in the area than NY.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Uggh. I meant to put NYC a group up.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:40 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
"Hispanic" in general? No, Chicago isn't as big as NY there. Mexican though? Yes, Chicago's Mexican communities have drastically more prominence in the area than NY.
I looked at some numbers, and it's pretty much the same in proportion to population. After Mexicans here in Chicago (which are HUGE) there are about 200K+ Puerto Ricans, that are very visible and ingrained in the city. In all parts of Chicago Northside, Westside and Soutside, you find Hispanics everywhere. Same goes for the suburbs. You see a lot of Hispanics in the northwest suburbs, west suburbs and especially the south suburbs. The only suburbs you don't see many Hispanics is the north shore suburbs, but you really don't see anything but white when it comes to those.

You also have a lot of Colombians, Cubans, Guatemalans and then more from other countries.

I am not saying that Chicago has more Hispanics than NYC in raw number, rather proportionate to the population they are neck in neck.

NYC metro 21% Hispanic
Chicago metro 22% Hispanic

Old 06-20-2019, 09:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
San Antonio.

Just kidding.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
San Antonio.

Just kidding.
I originally was going to put Miami, but I felt this thread went too far already and it was too late to crack that joke.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
The Miami metro is 39% Hispanic, 31% White Non-Hispanic, 21% Black, 3% Asian and 6% Other races.
-
Actually Miami is 44% but close enough I suppose.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I looked at some numbers, and it's pretty much the same in proportion to population. After Mexicans here in Chicago (which are HUGE) there are about 200K+ Puerto Ricans, that are very visible and ingrained in the city. In all parts of Chicago Northside, Westside and Soutside, you find Hispanics everywhere. Same goes for the suburbs. You see a lot of Hispanics in the northwest suburbs, west suburbs and especially the south suburbs. The only suburbs you don't see many Hispanics is the north shore suburbs, but you really don't see anything but white when it comes to those.

You also have a lot of Colombians, Cubans, Guatemalans and then more from other countries.

I am not saying that Chicago has more Hispanics than NYC in raw number, rather proportionate to the population they are neck in neck.

NYC metro 21% Hispanic
Chicago metro 22% Hispanic
NYC's Hispanic community is a lot more diverse than Chicago's. The diversity in Chicago's Hispanic community resembles Dallas the closest (except in Dallas Salvadorans are the next biggest group). Mexicans are 79% of Chicago's Hispanic community. Puerto Ricans (NYC's largest Hispanic group) are 27% of NYC's Hispanic community.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:27 PM

408 posts, read 581,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Group A++:

Group A+:
San Antonio
Los Angeles

Group A- :
Houston
San Diego

Group B+:
Dallas/Fort Worth
Chicago
San Francisco Bay Area
Phoenix

Group B-:
Orlando
Las Vegas
NYC

Group C:
Denver
Sacramento
Agreed but I would put Phoenix in the A- group. San Diego and Phoenix are similar in Hispanic percentages and I think Phoenix is a bit higher at City Level than metro level. Most area suburbs have a 15-25+% latino population outside Peoria/Gilbert/Scottsdale. Just saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.