Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:06 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times

Advertisements

We looked at DE. To us, it didn’t offer as much of what we want as RI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 12:13 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
OP, based on your initial post and all of your subsequent replies, it is clear that your preference is Rhode Island. So, why create and perpetuate another message thread about Rhode Island?

Unfortunately, the economy of Rhode Island is what economists have dubbed a "FILO" (First In, Last Out) from a recessionary perspective. Following the departure of heavy industry from Rhode Island over 40 years ago, the state sorely failed to diversify its economic base like neighboring Massachusetts. As a result, Rhode Island has experienced chronically high unemployment and underemployment rates for decades. Accordingly, the consumer confidence index (CCI) in Rhode Island is perpetually low. In conclusion, an underperforming economy with correspondingly high unemployment and underemployment rates and a low CCI results in stagnant population growth and nonappreciable real estate valuations in ordinary neighborhoods.

Another contentious, ongoing issue, which you may read about in more detail on the Rhode Island forum, is land-grabbing. In addition to all of the state's economic woes, real estate investors from much wealthier states such as Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York have been land-grabbing much of the prime real estate in coastal Rhode Island over the past 5-10 years. Sadly, many of these part-year residents from different states are further driving up real estate costs for the hum-drum locals, many of whom have been grappling with despair for decades already.

Also, OP, I am going to assume that you probably have not spent very much time in Rhode Island. Yes, the coastal scenery is very lovely (during the summertime), crime is generally low and people are generally good, but the climate, infrastructure and housing stock are very poor by national standards. Regarding the state's climate, I vividly recall freezing cold days in May and September during my youth in Rhode Island. Unfortunately, the cold season in New England is very long, even in Rhode Island. On a different note, the roads and bridges of Rhode Island are in utter disrepair and are a telltale indicator of political corruption -- something for which the Ocean State is well-known -- and, in particular, the misappropriation of tax revenue. Finally, the residential homes in Rhode Island are, for the most part, old, small and non-functional in the modern era, often lacking finished basements, garages, multiple bathrooms and walk-in closets.

Source: I grew up in Rhode Island and most of my family still lives there.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:26 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
OP, based on your initial post and all of your subsequent replies, it is clear that your preference is Rhode Island. So, why create and perpetuate another message thread about Rhode Island?
Thank you for your info. Yes, we have a leaning toward RI for a number of reasons - closer to family and friends, no venomous snakes and spiders to deal with, lower crime, close to Boston and the Cape and Islands. However, Virginia is also a state we have visited frequently, like a lot, love it's proximity to DC and the MD coast, and have family there, so is also a strong contender.

We in no way have our minds made up, so the reason for "perpetuating another message thread" is to learn, and that's specifically what this forum is for - to be able to compare and contrast the states of interest and ultimately gather more info to help determine which might be the better state.

Last edited by macalan; 06-18-2019 at 04:38 AM..

Old 06-18-2019, 07:53 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
RI>SE Mass.

I’d choose Rhode Island or Delaware without a doubt. Delaware is very peaceful (minus Wilmington)

Old 06-18-2019, 07:58 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

Unfortunately, the economy of Rhode Island is what economists have dubbed a "FILO" (First In, Last Out) from a recessionary perspective. Following the departure of heavy industry from Rhode Island over 40 years ago, the state sorely failed to diversify its economic base like neighboring Massachusetts. As a result, Rhode Island has experienced chronically high unemployment and underemployment rates for decades. Accordingly, the consumer confidence index (CCI) in Rhode Island is perpetually low. In conclusion, an underperforming economy with correspondingly high unemployment and underemployment rates and a low CCI results in stagnant population growth and nonappreciable real estate valuations in ordinary neighborhoods.

Another contentious, ongoing issue, which you may read about in more detail on the Rhode Island forum, is land-grabbing. In addition to all of the state's economic woes, real estate investors from much wealthier states such as Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York have been land-grabbing much of the prime real estate in coastal Rhode Island over the past 5-10 years. Sadly, many of these part-year residents from different states are further driving up real estate costs for the hum-drum locals, many of whom have been grappling with despair for decades already.

Also, OP, I am going to assume that you probably have not spent very much time in Rhode Island. Yes, the coastal scenery is very lovely (during the summertime), crime is generally low and people are generally good, but the climate, infrastructure and housing stock are very poor by national standards. Regarding the state's climate, I vividly recall freezing cold days in May and September during my youth in Rhode Island. Unfortunately, the cold season in New England is very long, even in Rhode Island. On a different note, the roads and bridges of Rhode Island are in utter disrepair and are a telltale indicator of political corruption -- something for which the Ocean State is well-known -- and, in particular, the misappropriation of tax revenue. Finally, the residential homes in Rhode Island are, for the most part, old, small and non-functional in the modern era, often lacking finished basements, garages, multiple bathrooms and walk-in closets.

Source: I grew up in Rhode Island and most of my family still lives there.

Housing, infrastructure and weather is just as bad in SE MASs without the beauty of the coast. Also traffic in MA is much worse and COL is higher. I don’t think being from MA, any of that would deter her from rRI. It’s really just the weak economy that’s a problem. Which is not a problem if you have a job.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:20 AM

14 posts, read 32,582 times
Macalan, it's great that you know what you are looking for and have found someplace that fits your requirements with beauty, charm, and many opportunities for adventure. Rhode Island is a beautiful state with lots of shore line. I did enjoy my time in and around RI. I grew up in Attleboro which is just over the state border. The last time I was there was for a wedding in Bristol five years ago. Bristol and the surrounding communities, Barrington, Portsmouth, Middletown, all bring back positive memories. I would suggest looking at these areas. Bristol has Colt State Park, a cute downtown and a small University, and a fourth of July parade. The proximity to Providence and the beaches makes Bristol a good area. I have already mentioned Newport to you. The city along with Providence has the most entertainment and restaurants. I would suggest Cliff Walk and touring some of the mansions. If you are into sports, Newport Jai Alai is fun. I have also enjoyed watching the Pawtucket Red Sox baseball games. I could keep writing, but I'm sure my thoughts would be all over the place. I hope this but of information helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.