Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 04:41 AM

4 posts, read 3,467 times

Advertisements

Hi I am from Anchorage, Alaska and have lived here all my life for 28 years. I am looking to move out of Anchorage and try living somewhere new hopefully in the next few months. I am not leaving necessarily for job prospects but I am looking to develop a career in the hospitality industry. The main reason I am leaving is because I am tired of living in Anchorage and Alaska.

I am not interested in moving to a massive city or states with very hot climates. I want to move to a state that will be a smooth transition and easy to adjust for me. I am not a huge outdoor person but I do appreciate nature. I am not really into the bar scene or anything like that. I have been to Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Florida, Georgia, and Michigan but none of these states specifically peak my interest in relocating too. I am planning on going to Washington for an unrelated reason in a month so I will definitely that check out that although I not sure about the hippy scene.

I would like a state with low costs but also somewhere that would make sense to move too. It seems a lot of the lower costs states tend to be in the south or midwest area. I basically just feel lost in trying to find somewhere I would to live in because for me Alaska is the only state I really know in terms of being a resident there. Maybe I am just overthinking this because there will be some cons about anywhere I pick however I feel I can do better than Anchorage no matter what.

I feel like Alaska has really nothing to do besides outdoor stuff and there isn't much to do in Anchorage. Most of its fun stuff its very limited. So having assess to a more fun things would be a nice change. I welcome any feedback thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 05:48 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Seems to me that the Pacific Northwest would afford you the easiest transition: Washington, Oregon or Idaho. Seattle and Portland have gotten expensive, but the second-tier cities like Spokane, Tacoma, Olympia, Eugene or Boise are still reasonably affordable.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:18 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,453,933 times
The most obvious choice for an easy transition from Alaska is indeed the Pacific Northwest. If you are looking for a place with more to do other than outdoor recreation, bigger cities will be your best bet. Portland and Seattle both have their share of "hippies," however Seattle is a bit more diverse in population and types of people, albeit it is also more expensive.

If the bar scene is not for you, what types of things would excite you to have in a city? My only other thought for a city with cool-weather, low cost of living, and with a lot going on is Chicago. There is nature there to appreciate (Lake Michigan is beautiful, and there are nature getaways up in Wisconsin), but outdoorsmanship is not the main attraction. Chicago is all about entertainment, cuisine, museums, (nightlife), etc. I would also suggest Philly as a low cost place with a lot to do, but I think the East Coast grittiness would be a tough transition.

If you have anymore detail on what you're looking for in a city, let us know. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2019, 07:29 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,526,037 times
The PNW would be a better geographical transition, but even the 2nd tier cities are now expensive. I finished my most recent cost of living/buying power scores and was shocked by how even Boise and Spokane has lost so much of their buying power in the last 3 years.

Chicago, as one poster said, might be a good transition spot. It has a lot, is still relatively affordable, and I've always found the people there to be great.

If you're ready to make the move more permanent, I'd suggest Albuquerque, Knoxville, and Chattanooga. They're all beautiful areas, have wonderful people, have a tourist sector, and are affordable.

Don't over think your situation. Though you do need to plan carefully, just be careful not to get too freaked out about the details. You'll get too overwhelmed. If you're a nice, a level-headed person, you can find your niche' wherever you go. Whether it's a social group, church, activities group you like, volunteering, you will be able to fit in somewhere.

Hope you find that special place for you. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:02 AM

1,249 posts, read 826,870 times
Perhaps consider the Twin Cities, Fargo, or Sioux Falls. The summers are hot and humid but much shorter than in the South. I grew up in Anchorage and have been in the Midwest for 7 years - feel free to PM me with any questions.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:50 AM

58 posts, read 87,484 times
Might want to look at Duluth MN, traveled through there and thought it was a great town. Winters would be too brutal for me but coming from Alaska you would be fine.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:04 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
The PNW, like everyone else said, is the easiest transition from Alaska. I'd avoid a place like Seattle or Portland if you're looking for low cost of living. Idk the prices of the Oregon cities, but maybe someone else can comment on the affordability of cities like Salem and Eugene.

I'd also check out more inland cities like Spokane, Boise, Salt Lake City, and Reno. I don't think any of those would be all too different from what you're used to, but they'd be different enough that you'd feel like you really moved.

Also, if you're looking for hospitality, I'm assuming you'd like to be in a city with reasonable entertainment/nightlife/tourism. So you'd have to be in a somewhat sizable metro that attracts some tourism and has locals with spending money. Eventually, going too small will affect your ability to make a good living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.