Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 10:03 AM

356 posts, read 703,321 times

Advertisements

Sacramento ticks off just about everything on your list:

- I want somewhere with defined seasons (I don't care if I have snow, rain, whatever)
- He wants somewhere without snow and where it doesn't get below freezing too often, if at all (important to him)
Sacramento has no snow and rarely dips below freezing. It rains in the winter, but it's not constant like the PNW. If you feel like playing in the white stuff from time to time, just head to the Sierras.

- I want somewhere that has green trees, green grass, tree lined streets, (Think East Coast towns with trees, greenery, etc) *important to me*
Sacramento -- aka "The City of Trees" -- features shady neighborhoods with majestic trees and flowering bushes. While not as lush as the East Coast, it's much greener than SoCal.

- He wants somewhere affordable
Sacramento, while pricier than the South or Midwest, is far more affordable than Southern California or the Bay Area.

- He doesn't want to go to the East Coast
- I don't want to go to the midwest.
- I am very anti desert looking houses and yards and cities (just not my thing, I grew up by the beach)
Check. Check. Check.

- I want to teach eventually so I want to make sure it is somewhere with a good schooling system and opportunities (I know California is my best bet)
- He wants to get into Finance or Graphic Design
I have friends who work in these three fields, and I think you would have no problem finding a job here.

- I want to be near a lake, river, or beach
Sacramento is located on the confluence of the American and Sacramento Rivers, with Folsom Lake, Lake Natoma, and numerous reservoirs nearby. Lake Tahoe and the ocean are a two hour drive away in opposite directions.

- I'm not dead set on Oregon or Washington (but it is a possibility)

- We would both like to stay near California (I am even open to going to Northern California)
Check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 10:10 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
One suggestion may be the Ozarks region in Arkansas, specfically around the Fayetteville and Bentonville area.
This area would actually match both of your requests very well. It does have seasons (beautiful falls and springs) but winters are mild. There's a giant beautiful lake nearby to Fayetteville where you can own a NICE lake house for 350K. It's in the middle of a forest so there's trees and green everywhere.

More generally you could look at the swath of the US between Dallas TX and St. Louis. That will get you green with milder winters but still seasonal variation, and good affordability.

Going to Colorado will be the wrong direction if you want to be in a place with a lot of greenery. Some years it's not green at all and the years it is, that's only a couple summer months. It's not much cheaper than CA and the school system really sucks for teachers; they are moving away in droves.

Is this the scenery you were looking for? That's Arkansas for you.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 08-11-2019 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: deleted broken picture link - please do not hot link to photos you don't own.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:06 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
If I had to live in Arkansas, it would be Little Rock. NWA is overrated and needs to grow up a bit. It’s popular, sure, but I may never understand why.
Kansas City, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, Columbus etc. All those would be good, or perhaps smaller metros like Madison or Des Moines.
I can’t bring myself to outright recommend anything in the south, but take note of the trendier places on C-D. Anything just mentioned would be cheaper than California, and some would be just nicer places to live all around.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:53 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Agree...Priortize. You will have to endure some compromises. You probably can find a place with about 75-80% but not everything. A school teacher with a $700k house will take a while so start saving. It looks like you want a mild, four-season, green and wet (non-desert), affluent yet affordable community with water access relatively close to California. I hope you like crowds because that is what most people seem to be looking for.
They literally want everything.....and nothing.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:43 PM

1,688 posts, read 1,269,687 times
Arizona has plenty of communities that have that small town feel, with tree-lined streets, etc. We don't have the 4 seasons, but if you can endure the summers, the weather here is pretty great. Here's two examples of beautiful communities where you can get your very large home for a decent price and still check off many boxes.

https://www.verrado.com/

Agritopia, where people come together.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:21 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiabella1 View Post
Hello all,

So come next year I will have finished school and be ready to move. I currently live in Southern California and although I love it, it is way too expensive to me. I would love to move somewhere a little bit more affordable, say somewhere I can get a 4 or 5 bedroom house under $700,000 (I mean not right away, but eventually for a family). The problem is, my boyfriend and I can't seem to come to a conclusion on where to go so I need some suggestions or help.

I am set on going to Colorado and he is set on going to Arizona (however, we will be open to other places, but the following is what we are each looking for):

- I want somewhere with defined seasons (I don't care if I have snow, rain, whatever)
- He wants somewhere without snow and where it doesn't get below freezing too often, if at all (important to him)
- I want somewhere that has green trees, green grass, tree lined streets, (Think East Coast towns with trees, greenery, etc) *important to me*
- He wants somewhere affordable
- He doesn't want to go to the East Coast
- I am very anti desert looking houses and yards and cities (just not my thing, I grew up by the beach)
- I want to teach eventually so I want to make sure it is somewhere with a good schooling system and opportunities (I know California is my best bet)
- I don't want to go to the midwest.
- He wants to get into Finance or Graphic Design
- I want to be near a lake, river, or beach
- I'm not dead set on Oregon or Washington (but it is a possibility)
- We would both like to stay near California (I am even open to going to Northern California)

Sorry for all the requests, but as you can tell we want very different things. We are willing to compromise, I think the two things we won't compromise or change our minds on are the no snow and the desert living. Everything else we are flexible on.

Honestly I think the east coast is your best bet really.

Finance jobs are predominately found in Charlotte & NYC, but also I think he could get design jobs in Boston, NYC & Philly.

Teachers are paid pretty well - especially in places like Westchester, Long Island and NJ. (Teachers in AZ conversely are some of the lowest paid in the country).

East coast is mostly all tree-lined, that's important to me as well. Bigger cities, not as much, but the suburban areas are very green … that's why for me, I don't personally like SoCal or desert … not enough green for me (but to each their own)

East Coast has 4 seasons.

East Coast is varying degrees of "affordable." Places like NC/SC/GA are very affordable. Places like Boston, NYC, Philly you are going to pay a bit more.

East Coast has beaches, lakes & rivers.

In fact the East Coast checks pretty much all your boxes except "staying near California" …

I might be a little biased b/c I live on the East Coast … but with your criteria, I don't see why you wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.