Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:46 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times

Advertisements

I thought Upstate NY or Central NY right away. You'd have to narrow it down to the region first and then to the city. Good Luck wherever you land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 02:17 PM

858 posts, read 681,572 times
Spiderless?

Well that rules out Forest Hills, New York.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:08 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I thought Upstate NY or Central NY right away. You'd have to narrow it down to the region first and then to the city. Good Luck wherever you land.
I will second this It isn't 'low humidity' as in the desert but I found it comfortable growing up there. I also don't think that there is such a thing as a spiderless area The Rochester area is right off Lake Ontario if you don't mind snow.

The Grand Rapids, MI area is also a possibility and I also wouldn't rule out the Cleveland region. No mountains though they meet most of your other criteria.

Burlington, VT is another possibility for lakes (Champlain) and mountains; the COL is going to be higher than in the other areas I mentioned though. Still, it is nothing like some other areas in the country.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:02 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorinIndy18 View Post
I currently live in central Indiana (moved here from the Chicago burbs after getting married). Had kids, got divorced, kids are now in college and I want OUT. I have hated living here since I became single. I have been a victim of the "at will" labor law. I lost not one, but two different high-paying jobs due to this (at no fault of my own). It really turned me off because I had to learn quickly that hard work, loyalty, meeting goals, etc didn't matter if one person's ego had an issue with me, or if I didn't fit in "politically". Okay, I digress... back on topic.

After the job loss, and the resulting mindset, I have struggled financially and am losing my home. As strange as this may sound - I am grateful. I needed a swift kick in the behind to motivate me to do what I've wanted to do for a very long time - MOVE.

I am an over thinker and over-analyzer. I have read so many articles, blogs, posts, etc. in trying to figure out where to move to. And I'm really stumped. I am not close to many family members and do not have any friends outside of Indiana.

I used to be pro city and anti country, but it appears I've done a 180 on that. As I approach 50, I no longer am the social butterfly, nor am I interested in dating or the nightlife that cities cater to. What I seek now is quiet, simple, peaceful life.

I no longer have an interest in a career (per previous comments), but know that I obviously have to work to live. But I do not have expensive tastes any longer. As a matter of fact, I'd almost be happy living in a run-down cabin that I could fix up (I love remodeling and DIY stuff). Although, I am high maintenance when it comes to modern conveniences, ie Internet, mobile service, etc. Also, I am very hot blooded and cannot stand being hot, so I have to have A/C (for the safety of anyone near me, it's best to keep me from getting hot). Speaking of being hot, it's even worse if it's humid, so humidity is my worst enemy.

I also refuse to use a hole in the ground as my bathroom. Gross. (I am a bit of a girly-girl in that regard).

Lastly, I hate, hate, HATE spiders. I believe it's full-blown aracnophobia in my case. So, wooded is fine, but I don't want to be too close. I also have my dogs (that are now my family) and don't want them to become prey to some predetor in the woods.

So, with all of that babbling and randomness done, here is what I would like to find. I'm not expecting to find everything, but if I can get something that gets close, I will be a happy camper.

- Low humidity
- Four seasons
- Affordable housing (the older, the better. Fixer uppers are perfect)
- I'm not political, but probably a state that is middle-of-the-road or maybe a little more blue than red
- Small towns/villages near cities (for shopping, etc)
- Low humidity
- Lakes and oceans are a plus (love water views)
- Friendly people
- Spiderless
- Low humidity
- A great place to retire
- Decent jobs with decent pay (not talking about careers - just jobs)
- Low humidity
- Animal friendly

And in case I forgot to mention it - low humidity.

If you're a traveler, or someone who has lived in many different states, I would love your input, suggestions, thoughts, opinions, etc.

So far I've looked at most NE states (NY, ME, NH, VT, CT, PA, MA, etc). I've also looked at WI, MN, ID, ND. I haven't looked a whole lot on the west coast. I did live two years in Salida Colorado as a child and did love it, but when I look at housing there, I don't find much. Seems much more expensive the further west I look.

So, let's have it. What do you recommend? I'm looking forward to getting to read your ideas, as I'm completely overwhelmed and can't even think about it any more.
Make like other Midwesterners and head to Arizona...Prescott or Flagstaff since you'd like four seasons. You could also look into Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.