Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 12:56 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Seems like a good kid, but yes, he does do that even though he loves Texas
.Ya,I do have a habit of doing that and your right that I love Texas but just want to experience life outside of the state at some point.

Last edited by C24L; 10-01-2019 at 01:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Whatever money you gain from income tax in TN will be lost by housing and land being like 1.5x more in eastern TN as compared to NWA. Eastern TN has more dramatic scenery than AR, but all those mountains and ridges confine people into small valleys, meaning it's going to be way more crowded. Look at it on Google Earth. It's probably going to get a lot more retirees as well, because there's just so many more people on the east coast than the central US.

I think AR offers a better deal, especially since it'd be closer to where you're from. AR has beautiful enough scenery in my book, but it still feels undiscovered, which is cool.
I think that the tax situation would still be better off in TN than Arkansas considering the high income potential if we get the company off the ground.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:56 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Hard sell on either one of these. I agree that whatever you save in taxes in Arkansas will be made up for by other cost of living measures in Tennessee,,,

Tennessee is the more interesting place. Don't know that I'd want to live there, though I almost moved to Nashville 8 years ago....

If I had to pick one..........................it would be somewhere in Tennessee, but my interests are different from yours, and I'm not the biggest fan of either state...

Old 10-02-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Personally, I find the current demographics of Texas startling. At this time, only 40-45% of Texas' population is non-Hispanic white. Conversely, both Arkansas and Tennessee have populations that fall within the 70-75% range. In my perspective, the implications of Texas' low non-Hispanic population are very grave and will have daunting consequences on the state's culture, politics and public education system. One must only look to California and Nevada to observe the monstrous political and sociocultural changes that have occurred over the course of 1-2 generations within those states.

Relative to Texas, Arkansas and Tennessee are lower-population states that, with the glaring exception of Nashville, mostly fly under the national radar. In addition to more preferable demographics, Arkansas and Tennessee host stunning natural beauty that is unparalleled in Texas. Due to the abundance of lakes, mountains and woods in both Arkansas and Tennessee, I would imagine that an outdoor enthusiast would vastly prefer either state to Texas. Due to its situation in the Appalachian Mountains, east Tennessee in particular feels like a very old land that teems with divine inspiration, probably more so than most other places in the United States.
Well im outdoorsy and I prefer the outdoors in Texas to Arkansas and TN but thats just me.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Hard sell on either one of these. I agree that whatever you save in taxes in Arkansas will be made up for by other cost of living measures in Tennessee,,,

Tennessee is the more interesting place. Don't know that I'd want to live there, though I almost moved to Nashville 8 years ago....

If I had to pick one..........................it would be somewhere in Tennessee, but my interests are different from yours, and I'm not the biggest fan of either state...
how much do you think you would have to make for TN to work better than Arkansas?

Old 10-02-2019, 08:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
how much do you think you would have to make for TN to work better than Arkansas?
The higher your income the worse that Arkansas income tax becomes.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The higher your income the worse that Arkansas income tax becomes.
Then in that case I think TN might make more financial sense than Arkansas.Thanks Kathryn.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Then in that case I think TN might make more financial sense than Arkansas.Thanks Kathryn.
You are very welcome! My husband and I seriously considered both states and actually went to Hot Springs and Chattanooga and looked seriously at real estate and the surrounding areas and crunched a lot of numbers. We could literally live anywhere and those two states made our short list. We quickly moved past Arkansas though for a number of reasons, but kept Chattanooga and Knoxville on the list and made several trips out there. We finally decided against Chattanooga but not because of the cost of living, which seems to be similar to the Tyler area, but simply because it was such a lateral move and we wondered if it was worth the hassle. I mean, if we want to go there for activities, we can just go there - we don't have to LIVE there. But that whole area is very nice.

One thing that was sort of a turnoff to me though was the emphasis on nuclear power plants - they are EVERYWHERE. We moved to Germany four years after the Chernobyl disaster and were aware that even though levels were now OK, just about ALL of Europe was adversely affected, including southern Germany. I just don't like that. Haven't grown any horns yet though so maybe we dodged that bullet!

https://inis.iaea.org/collection/NCL...80.pdf?r=1&r=1

Old 10-03-2019, 07:39 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Whatever money you gain from income tax in TN will be lost by housing and land being like 1.5x more in eastern TN as compared to NWA. Eastern TN has more dramatic scenery than AR, but all those mountains and ridges confine people into small valleys, meaning it's going to be way more crowded. Look at it on Google Earth. It's probably going to get a lot more retirees as well, because there's just so many more people on the east coast than the central US.

I think AR offers a better deal, especially since it'd be closer to where you're from. AR has beautiful enough scenery in my book, but it still feels undiscovered, which is cool.
This really needs to be qualified.

I know nothing but northwest AR, but I'm a mostly lifelong east TN native. Land prices here vary considerably.

In upper northeast TN, the highest land prices are going to be in Washington County, which has the premiere city in the area and is the most developed. Rural counties, especially those without interstate access or poor infrastructure, like Hawkins, Grainger, and Claiborne, land and housing prices go down dramatically.

I used to live in Indiana and Iowa. On roughly the same income as Indiana, I save about $200/month in income taxes. Property tax rates are somewhat cheaper here. Sales tax is a couple points higher in TN, but I live about a mile from Virginia, and do most of my shopping in Virginia.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:18 AM

451 posts, read 364,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm very familiar with both states and my husband and I even seriously considered moving to both Hot Springs and Chattanooga.

We came a lot closer to moving to Chattanooga because of the tax situation. If I had to choose either state over Texas, I'd personally definitely go with Chattanooga or that area.

Arkansas seems to cater to a poor lifestyle - sorry but that's just the truth. I would recommend a weekend trip to Chattanooga - I think you may be very pleasantly surprised. It is VERY different from Memphis.
Caters to a poorer lifestyle? Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.