Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 08:28 PM

1,094 posts, read 809,221 times

Advertisements

I just recently did an accent tag video because my and a girl from New Hampshire, was talking about how are accents sound. Some words in the video sound very New York-ish while others sounded more General American since i moved to NC as a kid, and now currently live in Jacksonville, FL so i picked up some Southern slang but can't speak with a Southern accent. Here's my attempt https://youtu.be/VieCq4L5Jf0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 09:33 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Maybe slightly, but I wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't said so. You do when you say "aw" words like "water" and "called".

Old 10-12-2019, 10:14 PM

472 posts, read 347,570 times
You sound general american for the most part... you def say some words with a Northern accent though. Water stuck out to me the most as well. I didn't really catch anything too southern sounding but maybe you do on other words hah. Take the NY times accent quiz- it did a pretty good job. It is really more of a dialect quiz but was able to pin me down to the city I grew up in in AZ as a kid, and the city my father's family is from in Texas hah. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-quiz-map.html
Found it!

Old 10-13-2019, 05:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Wow that quiz/map is really accurate for me too. It pinpointed the exact city where I went to jr high, high school and college!

Old 10-13-2019, 08:31 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,556,774 times
The more I drink the stronger my ex NY accent shines through.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:33 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Your accent is very definitely East Coast and not what might be called "General American," which is based on the Midwestern accent.

Your accent is non-rhotic (that means you pronounce "er" at the ends of words more like "uh").

I also noticed you use /d/ for the voiced "th" (as in "this") and either /t/ or /f/ for the voiceless "th" (as in "south"); it sounds like you use /t/ at the beginning of a word (like "theater") and /f/ at the end of a word.

Both of these features are common in the New York accent, but they are also common in the general African-American accent, so it would be hard to pinpoint you to New York just based on those. But your vowels sound more Northern than Southern to me; I would immediately know you were from the Northeast just from the way you say "water" and "caught."

Old 10-13-2019, 10:26 AM

Thanks for your responses. I always thought my accent sounded more northern/general American versus Southern despite spending most of my years in the South. My accent may not be as strong as someone who lived in New York City their whole lives but it is definitely noticeable.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Your accent is very definitely East Coast and not what might be called "General American," which is based on the Midwestern accent.

Your accent is non-rhotic (that means you pronounce "er" at the ends of words more like "uh").

I also noticed you use /d/ for the voiced "th" (as in "this") and either /t/ or /f/ for the voiceless "th" (as in "south"); it sounds like you use /t/ at the beginning of a word (like "theater") and /f/ at the end of a word.

Both of these features are common in the New York accent, but they are also common in the general African-American accent, so it would be hard to pinpoint you to New York just based on those. But your vowels sound more Northern than Southern to me; I would immediately know you were from the Northeast just from the way you say "water" and "caught."
Yeah people told me I pronounced caught and water like people from New York.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
You sound general American for the most part... you def say some words with a Northern accent though. Water stuck out to me the most as well. I didn't really catch anything too southern sounding but maybe you do in other words hah. Take the NY times accent quiz- it did a pretty good job. It is really more of a dialect quiz but was able to pin me down to the city I grew up in AZ as a kid, and the city my father's family is from in Texas hah. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-quiz-map.html
Found it!
I trained myself to sound more General American so I don't come off as too "street' in a professional setting. As someone who lived in the projects as a kid, I heard an ungodly amount of NY slang while i still use NY slang and Ebonics, in general, I try to only use it when I I'm around other New Yorkers or when I'm really excited about something.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
I like the way you talk.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4a1798d...8-b394205d86df
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.