Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 02:33 PM

18 posts, read 33,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Sorry, I somehow missed your aversion to more winter. I used to live in the U.P. as well and I would take Duluth over the U.P. any day. I was just trying to think of areas that are somewhat similar but would have more job opportunities. Cornsnicker3 would know more about the job market in Duluth though.
As much as I dislike all the snow, Duluth does pique my interest. I do enjoy Lake Superior and the north woods. I appreciate your suggestion! I was planning on actually hiking and camping up the North Shore last summer but wasn't able to due to scheduling. Where did you live in the UP?

Colorado Springs sounds like it is worth checking in to for sure. The mountains would be right there, the job market seems robust (especially in the IT field), and the cost of living appears slightly lower than Denver which is always welcome lol. Regardless the cost of living does seem a bit higher than here (I can buy a house for like $50k here no problem) but I am prepared for that. I would assume the jobs pay more to match the higher COL.

You guys I really appreciate the input, you're giving me a lot to think about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 06:27 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnedtoast View Post
As much as I dislike all the snow, Duluth does pique my interest. I do enjoy Lake Superior and the north woods. I appreciate your suggestion! I was planning on actually hiking and camping up the North Shore last summer but wasn't able to due to scheduling. Where did you live in the UP?

Colorado Springs sounds like it is worth checking in to for sure. The mountains would be right there, the job market seems robust (especially in the IT field), and the cost of living appears slightly lower than Denver which is always welcome lol. Regardless the cost of living does seem a bit higher than here (I can buy a house for like $50k here no problem) but I am prepared for that. I would assume the jobs pay more to match the higher COL.

The cost of living will be higher virtually everywhere else in America.

I spent three loooooong years in Rapid River, MI. I hated every second of it. Marquette is a decent town but still very small.

I also used to live in Montana and I think you'd enjoy it but I don't think the job prospects are great. Bozeman would be the only option for you and it's expensive for what you get.

I really feel like Spokane would work really well for you. It's not trendy like Denver so it's cheaper and you still have access to world class wilderness and recreation in northern Idaho. You can be in Coeur d'Alene in 1/2 hr. I also feel as you're coming from the U.P. that Spokane would be less of a shock to your system than Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs is still a good option though.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
The cost of living will be higher virtually everywhere else in America.

I spent three loooooong years in Rapid River, MI. I hated every second of it. Marquette is a decent town but still very small.

I also used to live in Montana and I think you'd enjoy it but I don't think the job prospects are great. Bozeman would be the only option for you and it's expensive for what you get.

I really feel like Spokane would work really well for you. It's not trendy like Denver so it's cheaper and you still have access to world class wilderness and recreation in northern Idaho. You can be in Coeur d'Alene in 1/2 hr. I also feel as you're coming from the U.P. that Spokane would be less of a shock to your system than Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs is still a good option though.
Yeah that is for sure. For the past few years I have lived here I have definitely taken the cheap COL for granted. The only downfall is the average pay is so low, it balances out the COL. $600/mo for rent doesn't sound bad until you are only making $12/hr (with no benefits, while trying to pay off student loans, and save to get out), which is average for the area. I like Marquette a lot but it is definitely a small town, and surprisingly expensive for what it is. The lack of jobs and winter is the big issue there, although it is pretty. The UP and northern MI are fantastic for vacations and camping but living there is not for everyone, and I am finding that out about myself now. Crazy to say, considering camping and hiking are my favorite hobbies lol.

Spokane seems like a great option. After reading your comment I did a bit of research on Spokane and it seems like a great place especially with the mountains and the greenery. I am still going to look into Colorado Springs just out of curiosity (plus it is a bit closer), but I am keeping all of my options open. I have never been out west so I am curious about just how much of a culture shock it would be for me since you brought that up. I am used to being surrounded by trees, hills, and the Great Lakes, whereas out west there are real mountains, plains, and wide open skies. Not that there is anything wrong with either, but it would be a big change for me.

I'll be doing my research and plugging away at saving as much as I can in the mean time. I am going to do my best to make the move this year, it is my big New Year's resolution. I appreciate everyone's advice. You guys are really nice and helpful here!

Old 01-17-2020, 05:25 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
Reno has a mild 4 seasons and many IT companies.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:37 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
Quote:

Don't make the mistake many young people do that higher salaries will make up for the higher cost of living. In the overwhelming majority of cases, that's not true. The local inflation rates outpace salary growth in virtually every high (33% or higher that the national average) COL area. You want to look at Buying Power (Cost of living vs. average annual income) to get the best indication of how far your dollars will go.

A few of the places mentioned in some of the posts that I'd personally recommend are Kansas City, Colorado Springs, and Spokane. Their Buying Power Scores (The national average being 100. The lower the score, the better) are Kansas City (76.23 - an excellent score), Spokane (114.63), and Colorado Springs (127.65. But their score is getting uncomfortably too close to the 33% threshold). I absolutely would not suggest Denver (179.97), Portland (186.45), or Seattle (240.16).

If you're willing to go more east, some good suggestions would be Charlotte (87.59 - their IT sector is growing fast), Atlanta (94.68), Dallas/Ft. Worth (96.17), Raleigh/Durham (101.36), and Nashville (112.24).

Best of luck to you and hope you find a place that right for you.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:32 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Don't make the mistake many young people do that higher salaries will make up for the higher cost of living. In the overwhelming majority of cases, that's not true. The local inflation rates outpace salary growth in virtually every high (33% or higher that the national average) COL area. You want to look at Buying Power (Cost of living vs. average annual income) to get the best indication of how far your dollars will go.

A few of the places mentioned in some of the posts that I'd personally recommend are Kansas City, Colorado Springs, and Spokane. Their Buying Power Scores (The national average being 100. The lower the score, the better) are Kansas City (76.23 - an excellent score), Spokane (114.63), and Colorado Springs (127.65. But their score is getting uncomfortably too close to the 33% threshold). I absolutely would not suggest Denver (179.97), Portland (186.45), or Seattle (240.16).

If you're willing to go more east, some good suggestions would be Charlotte (87.59 - their IT sector is growing fast), Atlanta (94.68), Dallas/Ft. Worth (96.17), Raleigh/Durham (101.36), and Nashville (112.24).

Where do I find a list of these buying power rankings please? I tried Google but I'm only seeing lists of "quality of life" scores, (San Francisco often seems to make these lists somehow as unaffordable as it is for most people)

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2020, 12:08 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times
You could consider Las Vegas, NV. We have a growing tech scene, no state income taxes, and Mt. Charleston which is nearly 12,000 feet is about 30 minutes from town and has lots of forest trails and even waterfalls to experience. We are less than 4 hours from Southern California beaches, the Grand Canyon, and Zion National Park. Plus, Henderson, NV, (suburb of Las Vegas) was recently listed in the top 10 cities that millennials are moving to. And one of the best things about this place...we are one of the most affordable metros in the Western U.S.(for now). One bedroom apartments $800-900 are still able to be found. Not many western cities can match these perks.

Old 01-18-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post

Very interesting post, thank you for that. I am getting a good reality check as far as the COL and wages go for the different cities I have been looking at. I definitely do not want to back myself into a financial corner. I am ruling Denver, Colorado Springs, and all the other western cities out after really thinking things over. It is damn pretty out there, but financially I do not feel established enough to make it work just yet. Maybe some day.

I originally was not looking to move south (or east), but in all honesty it might be a better fit for me. Warmer climates, excellent places to hike and camp, good jobs, good COL and buying power as you suggested. I have been to GA, TN, NC, and I remember loving it down there. I love the warm sunny weather. As a car guy it would be nice to be able to not worry about rust as well lol. It would be nice to be near the Atlantic Ocean especially coming from the Great Lakes. I will be focusing my search on Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and possibly Florida. Also Kansas City possibly, although I have heard negative things about crime rates out there (please correct me if I am wrong here). I have a few extended family members and family friends in FL, SC, and GA which would make the adjustment a bit easier for me I think.

Anyways, enough of my rambling lol. Thanks for the insight everybody, I will keep you all posted as I make my decision

Old 01-19-2020, 07:52 AM

27,213 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
I originally was not looking to move south (or east), but in all honesty it might be a better fit for me. Warmer climates, excellent places to hike and camp, good jobs, good COL and buying power as you suggested. I have been to GA, TN, NC, and I remember loving it down there. I love the warm sunny weather. As a car guy it would be nice to be able to not worry about rust as well lol. It would be nice to be near the Atlantic Ocean especially coming from the Great Lakes. I will be focusing my search on Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and possibly Florida. Also Kansas City possibly, although I have heard negative things about crime rates out there (please correct me if I am wrong here). I have a few extended family members and family friends in FL, SC, and GA which would make the adjustment a bit easier for me I think.
I would definitely add Jacksonville to your list. Unlike much of FL it still enjoys a better wage to cost of living ratio (particularly if renting) and is surprisingly one of the fastest growing cities in the country for Millennials. https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20...oints-brooklyn. Major employers like Baptist Health, Bank of America/Merrill Lynch, Florida Blue (BCBS), Citi, JP Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo, AT&T, Deutsche Bank, TIAA Bank, Johnson & Johnson, Aetna, CSX Railway, Northrop Grumman, BAE Systems, Ally Bank, Georgia Pacific and Prudential have HQs or regional offices employing at least 1000 on up to around 10,000.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:36 PM

Sorry for the late response guys! I have been crazy busy. After careful consideration I have decided to focus mainly on the Des Moines area. The job market seems strong, COL is low, it isn't far away from good camping/hiking, and I have always thought that Iowa was a pretty state. It would be nice to be within a few hours of other major cities like Minneapolis, Kansas City, and Omaha. Des Moines seems safe, and it is not too busy. It is also not too far from family in Michigan, maybe a 9 hour drive. The winters there might be windier and colder, but they don't appear to last as long as they do here and that's all I could ask for. At this point, a healthy job market and low cost of living take precedence over desired weather lol.

I have been applying to jobs in and around Des Moines, and researching apartments and neighborhoods. I figure even if I cannot find a job in my field (I.T.) right away, I used to work as an assistant mechanic/oil change technician at a dealership and have all my own tools. I am certain I could get a job at a dealership or an automotive repair facility in relatively short order, and I would be ok with that. I work on cars for fun and as a side hustle now anyways lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.