Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 11:47 AM

426 posts, read 1,736,181 times

Advertisements

I think life is what happens to us. It is a buzz. A flow of sound, light, feeling.

And yet people around here seem to enjoy their city more because they can abstractly compare it to other cities on measures like density, land area, percentages of minority groups.A very posh, detached sort way of living, when living breathing people like these minority groups are just treated as a fact to support one's need to feel they live in a great place. It is so tiring. There is a vague undercurrent of insecurity and hostility to it, over-concern with self rather than a self-forgetting directedness outwards into the actual sticky, warm human goo that a real life pulses with. So many posts with dozens of pages where all people do is reference statistics and sub-statistics and analysis of statistical backgrounds and it all comes across as really insecure.

Am I the only one who feels like this? Is this my own personal problem? I think its worth talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 12:24 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
Am I the only one who feels like this? Is this my own personal problem? I think its worth talking about.
Oh no, I'm a Rainman all the way.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:54 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
It's possible to love qualities/life and also love statistics.

Also, I enjoy fact-based debates.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:59 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
^ That. We all have our reasons why are favorite cities are our favorite cities.

Old 02-09-2020, 01:07 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
I grew up looking at maps and reading the World Book encyclopedia. At 64, I have now been in all 50 states (lived in 7) and around 45 foreign countries on 5 continents with plans to expand that list. I suspect there are others like me who post here. While I sometimes feel I’m a bit old for this, I don’t feel insecure about who I am and where I live. It’s harmless fun to come onto this forum to make . . . yes, sometimes silly arguments . . . but I frequently learn a few new facts at the same time from people I suspect are fellow geography and urban nerds.

If it’s “so tiring” to the OP, then don’t participate.

Old 02-09-2020, 02:15 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
I mean, you're not wrong that the incessant attempts to rank cities above one another get tiring, but I don't think statistics themselves are inherently useless when applied to human societies. They tell stories concisely. If you've never been to a city, knowing its population, population density, population growth rate and how it's changed over time, unemployment rate, median income, etc. can give you a basic idea of what it would feel like.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:06 PM

35 posts, read 23,108 times
Well, in some cases the insecurities jump out, but for the most part I think we just like to spread the facts around and challenge misconceptions.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:16 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I mean, you're not wrong that the incessant attempts to rank cities above one another get tiring, but I don't think statistics themselves are inherently useless when applied to human societies. They tell stories concisely. If you've never been to a city, knowing its population, population density, population growth rate and how it's changed over time, unemployment rate, median income, etc. can give you a basic idea of what it would feel like.
but but but but.. New York City is #1!!! Because I said so!

Old 02-09-2020, 04:26 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Im a data nerd. Its the only reason Im here

Old 02-09-2020, 05:51 PM

118 posts, read 121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
sticky, warm human goo
quoting out of context is fun

anyway, I like to think of myself as a bit of a data nerd, although I'm not nearly as much of one as some people I know.
I feel like this is a website for data nerds though, so that's kinda what you're gonna see. I come here just to read about stats and discussion/stories about places I might be interested in living in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.