Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 12:40 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,402,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
THis is tough. In Latin America? Hands down Miami.. Miami is probably the most popular American city to Latin America anyway.

But outside Latin America? Maybe San Francisco followed closely by DC. Especially in Asia do you see SF grow in popularity the way Boston is prominent to Europe.

So my list goes:

1. SF (Most popular in Asia)
2. DC
3. Miami (Most Popular in Latin America)
4. Houston
100% this.

I feel like DC isn't as obvious, visually, of a worldly place but from my experience, it seems like a huge melting pot. Over 40% of the Foreign born population is white and 22% are black as of 2011 with several of DC's 8 wards being near 20% foreign born (also as of 2011. It's not so easy finding demographics that don't break down based on color). Also, because the foreign born seems to be rather dispersed and not a dominate region of foreign born, there's no concentration to create a strong identity like Asian/Latin culture has on Miami and San Francisco. Of course, Latin countries vary but they are unified by common famous people or movies and such and cultural rivalries and similarities.

In the US, it seems people think of cultural as darker skinned Latino/Asian and it seems really hard for people to think outside of whether one is black, white, latino or asian (there is even the "Non-Hispanic White" on demographic cards lol). Latin people have predominately White countries, Black Countries, Mixed countries, indigenous countries. If people were to just go to DC, they might think it's not so cultural or so diverse because unless you interact and realize this person is from Nigeria, or that one is from the Ukraine, etc. people will just think of it as a "white person" or "black person" rather than knowing they too are just as diverse as a typical Asian or non-white Latino.

But I'd def. say SFO / DC / MIA / Houston. I might even tie DC with Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 03:41 PM

1,094 posts, read 812,081 times
Sam Francisco would take my vote with Slicon Valley, the extreme leftist politics, the for-runner of LGBTQ acceptance, and the word hella being used by almost every Anerican teenager takes the cake for me. Miami is pretty worldly tho especially compared to the rest of the southeast.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:52 PM

373 posts, read 253,898 times
Sf

Old 05-06-2020, 08:38 PM

626 posts, read 465,660 times
Miami has the highest foreign born percentage of any large city in the entire world at 58% The next city ranked is Toronto at 47%. Hialeah (right outside of Miami) has an even higher percentage at 74%, which is probably the highest in the world. San Francisco is at 34%, Houston 28% and D.C. at 12%

Miami also gets almost three times as many international tourists (only behind NYC) as San Francisco and almost four times as many as D.C. and Houston.

I know these things aren't all that factor into this discussion but you cant say those numbers for Miami aren't pretty staggering.

Last edited by popka; 05-06-2020 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-07-2020, 01:49 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Miami has the highest foreign born percentage of any large city in the entire world at 58% The next city ranked is Toronto at 47%. Hialeah (right outside of Miami) has an even higher percentage at 74%, which is probably the highest in the world. San Francisco is at 34%, Houston 28% and D.C. at 12%
I believe Toronto is just over 50% foreign-born now. Vancouver is just under 50% foreign-born. Neither is close to Miami at this point though.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:07 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,138 posts, read 7,592,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post

Miami also gets almost three times as many international tourists (only behind NYC) as San Francisco and almost four times as many as D.C. and Houston.

I know these things aren't all that factor into this discussion but you cant say those numbers for Miami aren't pretty staggering.
2017 Foreign born population by percentage MSA

Miami: 41.03%
Los Angeles: 33.27%
San Francisco: 31.33%
New York: 29.17%
Houston: 23.63%
Washington D.C.: 23.09%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.