Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 05:19 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia is about 60%. The weekends are quite busy with this nice fall weather we have had with mostly sunny and mild days. They have closed MANY streets for outdoor dinning which has had a really great effect.

Weekdays though the city is dead. Which is unusual because Philadelphia in general was busy every day save late Sunday nights.

Retail in the city is also on the decline. I suspect because daytime foot traffic from office workers is virtually nonexistent. And the commercial rents in the city are higher than in the suburbs. So retailers are closing up shop. And quite prominent ones at that. Cole Haan, Bonobos, etc.

In positive news though, several large scale high rise projects were introduced during COVID. Mostly all residential but still good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 05:48 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
The Baton Rouge area has been back to normal level for months. The moment restaurants were allowed to reopen their inside, they have been filled to the maximum capacity allowed. My party waited 30 minutes for dinner at a 75% capacity restaurant just the other night. Bars are still closed in some parts of the area but there's heavy pressure to reopen them. Malls and shopping centers are packed, people are upset that Walmart still closes at 10 PM.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:54 PM

30 posts, read 39,958 times
San Francisco is still limping along.

Restaurants are outside only and at low capacities. Theatres were allowed to reopen but without food so they decided to remain closed. Some streets have been closed to traffic to allow outdoor seating and service (much like European or Asian night markets) which has been wonderful, but the activity is so isolated it feels dead the second you leave the block.

The bay area is seeing some rough times. Homelessness seem to have skyrocketed, everything is too quiet aside from parks, and BART is basically a ghost train.

Spirit doesn't seem to be broken yet though, many keep talking about how they cant wait to see the city come to life again but are understanding of why it is this way.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:30 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
25%. Nightlife in 2020 Pittsburgh is take out.
Similar here in Buffalo. I'm surprised to read these reports from elsewhere that signal increased normalcy.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:04 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,412,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Austin is pretty dead. You can definitely go out and get a drink on a patio, and there are probably a handful of shady bars that look like life before COVID, but overall nightlife has to be something like 25%.

Office activity is probably down even more. Most white collar workers WFH. Retail and daytime social activity is probably the most active. Maybe 80% normal there?
I went out a couple of weeks ago downtown on dirty, Rainey, and east 6th. It was busy as hell. Although about half of the bars were closed. Guess they haven't gotten their food permits yet. But for the most part the weekends are busy again and restaurants are always packed.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:09 PM

967 posts, read 725,488 times
Hoboken is about 50% right now. If you take away dining & nightlife, you could argue that it's busier "out and about" than it ever has been, since most people commute into Manhattan and now everyone is WFH. Parks, waterfront, running trails all packed. But, indoor dining is at 25%, and bars, already at limited capacity need to close at midnight (rightfully).

I think the biggest change/bummer is the growing list of places that are going out of business...

Old 10-30-2020, 02:33 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,087,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Hoboken is about 50% right now. If you take away dining & nightlife, you could argue that it's busier "out and about" than it ever has been, since most people commute into Manhattan and now everyone is WFH. Parks, waterfront, running trails all packed. But, indoor dining is at 25%, and bars, already at limited capacity need to close at midnight (rightfully).

I think the biggest change/bummer is the growing list of places that are going out of business...
17 new Covid cases yesterday in Hoboken alone. I understand people need to be out of their apartments and not be so cooped up but when I was there the other day there's wayy too many people just hanging outside. The 2nd wave is here in NJ right now. I'm just trying to avoid any crowds for the next couple of weeks til the numbers hopefully subside again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.