Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 10:05 AM

402 posts, read 370,126 times

Advertisements

I am hearing about people who are buying home far away from their work, including moving out of state due to COVID initiated working from home. Are these people not worried about having to show up at work in a year or two from now?

I can understand moving from downtown to a suburb an hour out. That is still with in reasonable commute time. But those who moved out of state or further out

Are you not worried about having to go back to work at all? foreseeable future? Especially with vaccines - Will you quit your job when/if they call you back - Are you worried about having to sell your house because you brought something that doesn’t work for you post-COVID - am I just being too optimistic thinking COVID will end by 2022 & life will be back to normal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 10:06 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times
Some companies / managers have given their employees permission to WFH permanently.

For the others, I suspect their skills are in high enough demand that they aren't worried about finding another job if they had to quit.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:11 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
I live in Baltimore and got a WFH job that’s based in Boston in Augusta when I was hired they told me I was not expected to move back to Boston. They did try to gauge if I was tho inking about it. My plan is to move to Vegas for COL/WOL reasons but if I have to move back to Boston I’ll be more than ready to. We’re WFH indefinitely and we have 3 other people in our team of ~25 who live in either New Mexico Cali and DC. Ik the DC person is moving to Boston though and our California person is sort of our Western Division head.

Overall? No, I’m not worried simply because I like where my job is based and would move back to Boston willingly if asked.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:46 AM

3,889 posts, read 4,544,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I live in Baltimore and got a WFH job that’s based in Boston in Augusta when I was hired they told me I was not expected to move back to Boston. They did try to gauge if I was tho inking about it. My plan is to move to Vegas for COL/WOL reasons but if I have to move back to Boston I’ll be more than ready to. We’re WFH indefinitely and we have 3 other people in our team of ~25 who live in either New Mexico Cali and DC. Ik the DC person is moving to Boston though and our California person is sort of our Western Division head.

Overall? No, I’m not worried simply because I like where my job is based and would move back to Boston willingly if asked.
Love Boston! But that COL!

Ironically, my hubs got permission to WFH in January before Covid hit, and by the time we moved, everyone else was out of the office! I really hope post Covid, WFH sticks. Keeps the freeways moving better those who need to drive, and better for keeping the air clean! Covid sucks, but the one upside is it's showing employers WFH can be done in many many cases!

Old 11-29-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Love Boston! But that COL!

Ironically, my hubs got permission to WFH in January before Covid hit, and by the time we moved, everyone else was out of the office! I really hope post Covid, WFH sticks. Keeps the freeways moving better those who need to drive, and better for keeping the air clean! Covid sucks, but the one upside is it's showing employers WFH can be done in many many cases!
Yea its high but its not something that totally boxes out regular people-yet. Especially for a 1 bedroom or studio.

Many Serviceable 2bds for 1800 or less about 6 miles from downtown.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...77362926_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...86178474_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...77076108_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...77285824_zpid/

1 beds? https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...oom%22%3A12%7D
Many many for under 1,500 down to 1200. To live in these areas one has to be okay with being in one of the less exciting less transient areas. Except for Allston.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:35 AM

What I will say is assuming most workers are recalled back into the office, I hope companies have an epiphany and strongly re-consider where their facilities are based if they're so concerned about attracting / retaining talent.

Frankly, I don't even think it's so much that people hate coming into the office, rather they hate the cities they must live in for any number of reasons.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
What I will say is assuming most workers are recalled back into the office, I hope companies have an epiphany and strongly re-consider where their facilities are based if they're so concerned about attracting / retaining talent.

Frankly, I don't even think it's so much that people hate coming into the office, rather they hate the cities they must live in for any number of reasons.
I beg to differ- they love the cities but hate the COL that comes with offices being concentrated in the CBD so heavily. More HQ need to go back to the burbs. It lessens demand in the core of the city

Old 11-29-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I beg to differ- they love the cities but hate the COL that comes with offices being concentrated in the CBD so heavily. More HQ need to go back to the burbs. It lessens demand in the core of the city
That's true for some people.

In other cases, you have companies with HQs or huge facilities in small cities and podunk rural towns. I can't imagine it's easy for them hiring / keeping young professional or people who are liberal-minded and desire more upscale amenities.

That's part of the reason why Caterpillar and ADM uprooted their HQs from rural Illinois and moved to Chicago, although they still have massive operations in their former rural / small hometowns.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
That's true for some people.

In other cases, you have companies with HQs or huge facilities in small cities and podunk rural towns. I can't imagine it's easy for them hiring / keeping young professional or people who are liberal-minded and desire more upscale amenities.

That's part of the reason why Caterpillar and ADM uprooted their HQs from rural Illinois and moved to Chicago, although they still have massive operations in their former rural / small hometowns.
Are those smaller towns really that hard to reach from the city? The exception being NYC. Even just plain jane suburbs would work

Route 128: Boston’s Technology Corridor https://www.digitalrealty.com/blog/b...ology-corridor

DC still has tons of employment in Nova and MD thats one part of why its cheaper than Boston/NYC. Boston shifted so much of its employment to downtown since 2012 and home prices have more than doubled in the city. People want to live there and even more so when the jobs are there.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Are those smaller towns really that hard to reach from the city?
If by "hard to reach" you mean "not within reasonable daily commuting distance," generally yes.

I understand a lot of companies stay in those small / podunk towns either for altruistic reasons (who else is going to come along and create good-paying jobs for local residents or generate tax revenue?) or because the founders have sentimental ties to that location.

But I'm certain most of their employees would move to a desirable location in a heartbeat if given the option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.