Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 10:11 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times

Advertisements

Just wondering on the thoughts on this. In some ways it reminds me of DFW, but in others its vastly different. But when comparing DFW to any other northern city, MSP feels like it checks the boxes more thoroughly in terms of layout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 11:20 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Just wondering on the thoughts on this. In some ways it reminds me of DFW, but in others its vastly different. But when comparing DFW to any other northern city, MSP feels like it checks the boxes more thoroughly in terms of layout.
To some extent, yes. Both metros have a dominant city (Minneapolis and Dallas). Both metros are quite spread out for miles and miles. Both have extensive freeway systems, which brings up an interesting factoid. Both are two of just a few metros that have split Interstates, ironically both with I-35 E & W routes. Oh, and both are airport hubs with Delta in MSP and American in DFW.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:20 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
To some extent, yes. Both metros have a dominant city (Minneapolis and Dallas). Both metros are quite spread out for miles and miles. Both have extensive freeway systems, which brings up an interesting factoid. Both are two of just a few metros that have split Interstates, ironically both with I-35 E & W routes. Oh, and both are airport hubs with Delta in MSP and American in DFW.
They also both have very diverse/dynamics economies.

That said, there are distinct differences too:

-Minneapolis proper is a lot more urban

-MSP is less diverse

-MSP is *THE* city in its state (Minnesota). It doesn't really have to compete with other cities like DFW does in Texas.

-While Dallas *can* be pretentious, people do at least speak to you and are friendly (Southern Hospitality). Minneapolis is somewhat similar to a place like Seattle where natives are slow to warm up to outsiders and can come across as cold / passive-aggressive.

-Most of Minneapolis' big corporations were organically grown *IN* Minneapolis (so there's a lot more hometown pride for them, and altruism for the area within these companies). Not to bash or diminish Dallas, but it has a well-earned reputation of poaching companies from other parts of the US.

-MSP is home to the State Capitol, while DFW is not.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:20 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,629 times
These places are far more alike than most people realize. They very much remind me of each other.

-Both have roots as agricultural centers where the Great Plains meet the more forested eastern biomes. DFW for the cattle drives, MSP as a huge grain milling center.

-Both are located at kind of opposing positions towards the northern and southern ends of I-35, which splits into an E/W branch for both metros.

-Both have a massive web of sprawling suburbs that extend far beyond the city proper centers.

-Major hub airports due to their relative distance from other large cities.

-Texas and Minnesota both have really high levels of state pride that quickly turns into rank and insufferable arrogance. Minnesota is just much, much more subtle about it.

The biggest differences, IMO:
-Climate. Minneapolis has a brutal winter. Dallas has a mild one. Minneapolis summer is closer to Dallas summer than Dallas winter is to Minneapolis winter. That said, both are prone to frequent, intense thunderstorms.

-DFW is much flashier, MSP much more modest. There's a high end glitz in Dallas that the wealthiest parts of MSP just don't display. The oil money effect.

-Accent. Duh. That said, neither place displays the traditionally associated accents nearly as much as the surrounding rural areas.

-Dominance of their state. 2/3rds of Minnesota's population is in the MSP metro, and it houses the capital. DFW competes with Houston (and San Antonio and Austin to lesser extents), and isn't necessarily that representative of Texas.

-Dense urbanity in the city proper. Minneapolis in particular has much more urban density than either Dallas or Ft. Worth, and it always has. There are neighborhoods full of what basically amount to row houses, that you rarely see that far west. St. Paul even is much lower density than Minneapolis, on balance. It gives Minneapolis proper a decidedly more urban flavor.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:58 AM

72 posts, read 60,402 times
I think they are very similar in many ways. I'm native Texan and a DFW resident for decades and MSP is one of the few areas I would relocate to. I've travelled to many cities for work and all have things I like/dislike but MSP feels like an area I could live in. My previous employer moved my division to MSP and I was very close to moving there. I like the people in both areas. I agree with most of the assessments above.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:25 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
These places are far more alike than most people realize. They very much remind me of each other.

-Both have roots as agricultural centers where the Great Plains meet the more forested eastern biomes. DFW for the cattle drives, MSP as a huge grain milling center.

-Both are located at kind of opposing positions towards the northern and southern ends of I-35, which splits into an E/W branch for both metros.

-Both have a massive web of sprawling suburbs that extend far beyond the city proper centers.

-Major hub airports due to their relative distance from other large cities.

-Texas and Minnesota both have really high levels of state pride that quickly turns into rank and insufferable arrogance. Minnesota is just much, much more subtle about it.

The biggest differences, IMO:
-Climate. Minneapolis has a brutal winter. Dallas has a mild one. Minneapolis summer is closer to Dallas summer than Dallas winter is to Minneapolis winter. That said, both are prone to frequent, intense thunderstorms.

-DFW is much flashier, MSP much more modest. There's a high end glitz in Dallas that the wealthiest parts of MSP just don't display. The oil money effect.

-Accent. Duh. That said, neither place displays the traditionally associated accents nearly as much as the surrounding rural areas.

-Dominance of their state. 2/3rds of Minnesota's population is in the MSP metro, and it houses the capital. DFW competes with Houston (and San Antonio and Austin to lesser extents), and isn't necessarily that representative of Texas.

-Dense urbanity in the city proper. Minneapolis in particular has much more urban density than either Dallas or Ft. Worth, and it always has. There are neighborhoods full of what basically amount to row houses, that you rarely see that far west. St. Paul even is much lower density than Minneapolis, on balance. It gives Minneapolis proper a decidedly more urban flavor.
Agreed with everything here though I would also throw out that DFW is a lot more ethnically diverse than MSP.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:31 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Never thought of these two as being "twins" but I can see it. Much more than the DFW to LA comparisons.

Old 12-03-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Agreed with everything here though I would also throw out that DFW is a lot more ethnically diverse than MSP.
I wouldn't argue that. MSP is probably more ethnically diverse than it gets credit for, though. It's not all Scandinavians.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:02 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I wouldn't argue that. MSP is probably more ethnically diverse than it gets credit for, though. It's not all Scandinavians.
I study demographics thoroughly. MSP is more diverse than people give it credit for yes. DFW is still a lot more diverse. DFW is top 10 nationwide for its diversity, MSP is not. The numbers to show that are below:

Here are the racial demographics of both:

Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington MSA:
White - 44.9% - 3,399,834
Hispanic - 29.3% - 2,219,072
Black - 15.9% - 1,201,835
Asian - 7.3% - 551,059

and

Minneapolis/St. Paul/Bloomington MSA:
White - 74.6% - 2,715,215
Black - 8.6% - 312,561
Asian - 6.9% - 250,271
Hispanic - 6.0% - 218,594

Here are the number of new immigrants that came to each metro area between 2010-2019 that had more than 10k new residents:

Dallas/Fort Worth - 8 Countries
India: 73,631
Mexico: 32,699
China: 27,996
El Salvador: 22,650
Nigeria: 19,137
Nepal: 17,041
Venezuela: 11,921
Philippines: 11,316

Minneapolis/St. Paul - 2 Countries
Somalia: 12,409
India: 12,205

Here are the number of people who speak a language other than English in each Metro area:

Dallas/Fort Worth: 2,270,226
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 509,021

Even if you take out Spanish speakers, it looks like the below:
Dallas/Fort Worth: 641,875
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 339,001

MSP is more diverse than people give it credit for but DFW is a lot more diverse than MSP. There is literally no way around it. That doesnt mean MSP isnt diverse, it just means DFW is noticeably more so.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I study demographics thoroughly. MSP is more diverse than people give it credit for yes. DFW is still a lot more diverse. DFW is top 10 nationwide for its diversity, MSP is not. The numbers to show that are below:

Here are the racial demographics of both:

Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington MSA:
White - 44.9% - 3,399,834
Hispanic - 29.3% - 2,219,072
Black - 15.9% - 1,201,835
Asian - 7.3% - 551,059

and

Minneapolis/St. Paul/Bloomington MSA:
White - 74.6% - 2,715,215
Black - 8.6% - 312,561
Asian - 6.9% - 250,271
Hispanic - 6.0% - 218,594

Here are the number of new immigrants that came to each metro area between 2010-2019 that had more than 10k new residents:

Dallas/Fort Worth - 8 Countries
India: 73,631
Mexico: 32,699
China: 27,996
El Salvador: 22,650
Nigeria: 19,137
Nepal: 17,041
Venezuela: 11,921
Philippines: 11,316

Minneapolis/St. Paul - 2 Countries
Somalia: 12,409
India: 12,205

Here are the number of people who speak a language other than English in each Metro area:

Dallas/Fort Worth: 2,270,226
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 509,021

Even if you take out Spanish speakers, it looks like the below:
Dallas/Fort Worth: 641,875
Minneapolis/St. Paul: 339,001

MSP is more diverse than people give it credit for but DFW is a lot more diverse than MSP. There is literally no way around it. That doesnt mean MSP isnt diverse, it just means DFW is noticeably more so.
I'm surprised the Asian numbers aren't higher percentage-wise for the Twin Cities. They're some of the most visible communities in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.