Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 10:32 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I'm surprised the Asian numbers aren't higher percentage-wise for the Twin Cities. They're some of the most visible communities in that area.
To me it depends on where. In St. Paul I would agree they are very visible especially in the area in and around University Ave. In Minneapolis, Id say far less so. But the African population (especially Somali and Ethiopian) is far more visible in Minneapolis than St. Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 11:51 AM

1,351 posts, read 893,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
To me it depends on where. In St. Paul I would agree they are very visible especially in the area in and around University Ave. In Minneapolis, Id say far less so. But the African population (especially Somali and Ethiopian) is far more visible in Minneapolis than St. Paul.
That's true.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:43 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
As someone who lived in DFW, I agree. DFW is to the South like the Twin Cities are to the Midwest. The differences are obviously stark but they're also more representative of their regions. Minneapolis is more dense in urbanity but so is the Midwest in general versus the South etc.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
That's true.
I would say the white population is more ethnically diverse in MSP than DFW as well. Northern whites in general tend to hold on to their European heritage more than Southern whites who are more likely to just identify as "American." I noticed St. Paul, particularly the area I lived in, has lots of Irish and Italian Americans and they are VERY proud of their roots.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:20 PM

1,347 posts, read 876,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
I would say the white population is more ethnically diverse in MSP than DFW as well. Northern whites in general tend to hold on to their European heritage more than Southern whites who are more likely to just identify as "American." I noticed St. Paul, particularly the area I lived in, has lots of Irish and Italian Americans and they are VERY proud of their roots.
I wouldn't be surprised if the black population in Minneapolis is also more diverse. The core neighborhoods in Mpls are very diverse. You see people of all races and cultures walking around which is something I haven't seen in any Southern city. This is one of the few cities where native Americans are visible. I'm not sure if it's because of the city's walkability but Mpls imo was always more visibly diverse than the numbers suggest.

Last edited by Kaszilla; 03-06-2022 at 01:29 PM..

Old 03-06-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the black population in Minneapolis is also more diverse. The core neighborhoods in Mpls are very diverse. You see people of all races and cultures walking around which is something I haven't seen in any Southern city. This is one of the few cities where native Americans are visible. I'm not sure if it's because of the city's walkability but Mpls imo was always more visibly diverse than the numbers suggest.
Very true about the Native population. I lived in Miami metro, DFW as well as smaller areas of Texas, and this is the only area where Native Americans are somewhat prominent in the population. My first ever roommates in MN were mixed white and Ojibwe.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:48 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Can somebody explain exactly how MSP is more "urban" than DFW? The Dallas downtown is larger than MSP by quite a bit from what I've seen and Forth Worth is bigger than St. Paul by a lot.

So in it's core there must be something about MSP that I don't know about from my limited time (Compared to DFW) there.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:10 AM

1,351 posts, read 893,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Can somebody explain exactly how MSP is more "urban" than DFW? The Dallas downtown is larger than MSP by quite a bit from what I've seen and Forth Worth is bigger than St. Paul by a lot.

So in it's core there must be something about MSP that I don't know about from my limited time (Compared to DFW) there.
I haven't seen as high-density of residential neighborhoods in DFW as you have in some parts of Minneapolis. There are residential neighborhoods just south of downtown Minneapolis that are really high density.

It's pretty limited in the Twin Cities though. St Paul has a similar residential density to what I've observed in DFW.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:43 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
To some extent, yes. Both metros have a dominant city (Minneapolis and Dallas). Both metros are quite spread out for miles and miles. Both have extensive freeway systems, which brings up an interesting factoid. Both are two of just a few metros that have split Interstates, ironically both with I-35 E & W routes. Oh, and both are airport hubs with Delta in MSP and American in DFW.
Yep, this is a very good point. Always wondered why it's split this way.

For MSP, I think it's to integrate I-35 into both Minneapolis and St Paul. Kind of like a parent not being able to choose their favorite child so picks both

And as someone else pointed out, major difference is MSP is the core of that state of Minnesota. I'm guessing 70-80% of the people live within the CSA. That can not be said for DFW and Texas as it competes with many other major cities in Texas.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:48 AM

828 posts, read 647,325 times
Quote:
I'm surprised the Asian numbers aren't higher percentage-wise for the Twin Cities. They're some of the most visible communities in that area.
Mostly confined to Saint Paul and to a somewhat lesser extent, Minneapolis itself. Less so in the suburbs, esp. outer ring. With MSP, really big difference between inner ring and outer ring (this is true a bit in Atlanta as well, but somewhat less so than MSP, which might be among the most in the U.S. this way). Twin Cities themselves are a bit diverse (still not especially so by urban standards in the U.S.), but once you get outside of a few close in suburbs, diversity goes down rapidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.