Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 11:38 AM

369 posts, read 635,097 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My family is considering relocating after 7 years in Minneapolis, but we're on the fence about whether 1) we should and 2) where we would go. We have some ideas but also hoping to do a little brainstorming in case we're not thinking of something!

-- we are 37 and 35, with a 3 year old and one on the way. My husband has the option to work remotely, and I'm a mental health therapist (so licensing requirements is a consideration but not a full-on barrier, except for California. I cannot move to California because their licensing requirements are completely different).
-- I'm originally from Oregon which is where my family is. He is from Minnesota which is where his family is. We met and lived in New York City (and LOVED it).

Our main priorities are:
-- urban-ish: easy access to museums, theater, lots of independent restaurants and shops. We'd be fine living in a suburb, but would love to find one with a "historic downtown."
-- I'm going to emphasis the quaint historic downtown one more time.
-- somewhere warmer than Minnesota in the winter! We're fine with some snow. And we're fine with some heat and/or humidity. But preferably not something that happens for half the year.
-- friendly? I know making friends anywhere is hard, but MN feels a little extra in this category.
-- attractive natural landscape: access to either mountains and/or ocean (preferably both, but we know that's limiting).
-- politically leaning left and/or balanced. We are not interested in living where people think covid is a hoax or not a big deal.
-- our budget! Around $400,000 or about a $2,000 mortgage.
-- somewhat near family -- a 3ish hour flight or 6ish hour drive from Portland or Minneapolis.

Our short list so far:
-- obviously, staying. Minneapolis hits almost all the categories except for the weather.
-- Portland: pros: family, landscape, urban, politics, weather (kind of). cons: mostly budget. and weather.
-- Phoenix: pros: weather (kind of), urban, budget, landscape. cons: politics (maybe?), weather (kind of). It's not near family, but family is likely to want to come visit so it could work.

We really love the quaint historic downtowns of the Northeast, but we're just not sure the Northeast is the best fit for us, mainly factoring distance from family, weather, and budget.

Would love to know if there's some place we're not thinking, or what you think of the 3 options we've got going so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 11:50 AM

12,205 posts, read 8,111,195 times
What about philadelphia or chicago?

Old 03-11-2021, 12:29 PM

1,323 posts, read 878,486 times
My first thought was Pittsburgh. It is very urban and checks the quaint historic areas and attractive natural landscape boxes.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:07 PM

93,929 posts, read 124,698,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabitoff View Post
Hi there! My family is considering relocating after 7 years in Minneapolis, but we're on the fence about whether 1) we should and 2) where we would go. We have some ideas but also hoping to do a little brainstorming in case we're not thinking of something!

-- we are 37 and 35, with a 3 year old and one on the way. My husband has the option to work remotely, and I'm a mental health therapist (so licensing requirements is a consideration but not a full-on barrier, except for California. I cannot move to California because their licensing requirements are completely different).
-- I'm originally from Oregon which is where my family is. He is from Minnesota which is where his family is. We met and lived in New York City (and LOVED it).

Our main priorities are:
-- urban-ish: easy access to museums, theater, lots of independent restaurants and shops. We'd be fine living in a suburb, but would love to find one with a "historic downtown."
-- I'm going to emphasis the quaint historic downtown one more time.
-- somewhere warmer than Minnesota in the winter! We're fine with some snow. And we're fine with some heat and/or humidity. But preferably not something that happens for half the year.
-- friendly? I know making friends anywhere is hard, but MN feels a little extra in this category.
-- attractive natural landscape: access to either mountains and/or ocean (preferably both, but we know that's limiting).
-- politically leaning left and/or balanced. We are not interested in living where people think covid is a hoax or not a big deal.
-- our budget! Around $400,000 or about a $2,000 mortgage.
-- somewhat near family -- a 3ish hour flight or 6ish hour drive from Portland or Minneapolis.

Our short list so far:
-- obviously, staying. Minneapolis hits almost all the categories except for the weather.
-- Portland: pros: family, landscape, urban, politics, weather (kind of). cons: mostly budget. and weather.
-- Phoenix: pros: weather (kind of), urban, budget, landscape. cons: politics (maybe?), weather (kind of). It's not near family, but family is likely to want to come visit so it could work.

We really love the quaint historic downtowns of the Northeast, but we're just not sure the Northeast is the best fit for us, mainly factoring distance from family, weather, and budget.

Would love to know if there's some place we're not thinking, or what you think of the 3 options we've got going so far.
Weather would the biggest factor, as you could find what you are looking for. Though distance would be up there too.

Perhaps a smaller, mid-sized area like Harrisburg PA, with places outside of the city like Hershey, Carlisle, Mechanicsburg, New Cumberland or Hummelstown.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:33 PM

4,716 posts, read 3,052,398 times
Sacramento?

Obviously its history isn't as long as those of the northeastern cities,
but it has an Old West heritage, as do the Gold Country towns up in the foothills.
Weather of course would be a huge improvement over the upper Midwest,
though the summers can get hot.

The mountains aren't too far away, there's a river running through the city,
and you could be at the ocean in maybe two hours.

But housing prices are said to be climbing steeply, as people migrate from the SF Bay area.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:24 PM

6,620 posts, read 16,620,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
My first thought was Pittsburgh. It is very urban and checks the quaint historic areas and attractive natural landscape boxes.
I had the same thought, but then she said the Northeast doesn't meet their distance criteria.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:34 PM

3,187 posts, read 2,235,887 times
Greater Denver seems to be a better fit than the Phoenix area for many of your criteria. My thoughts below:
  • Less than 3 hours flight time to both Portland and Minneapolis
  • Obviously, there is exceptional mountain access for the outdoors
  • The climate is varied but much milder on average than the Twin Cities with low humidity.
  • Longmont and Golden are among some of the suburban communities with interesting town centers in the area.
  • The political climate is left of center these days, and there are plenty of cultural amenities

Old 03-11-2021, 09:06 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,282,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Greater Denver seems to be a better fit than the Phoenix area for many of your criteria. My thoughts below:
  • Less than 3 hours flight time to both Portland and Minneapolis
  • Obviously, there is exceptional mountain access for the outdoors
  • The climate is varied but much milder on average than the Twin Cities with low humidity.
  • Longmont and Golden are among some of the suburban communities with interesting town centers in the area.
  • The political climate is left of center these days, and there are plenty of cultural amenities
Their price point is a problem for Denver and the closer in suburbs. Average home price in Denver is I think about 625K now. 400K for a nice house in a good family community, good schools, etc. is not that realistic.

Longmont might be possible and offers a lot, although it starts to get a little far to routinely take advantage of Denver amenities.

But yes, worth OP looking into the state, it does match up pretty well with your wish list.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:38 PM

2,255 posts, read 1,425,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Their price point is a problem for Denver and the closer in suburbs. Average home price in Denver is I think about 625K now. 400K for a nice house in a good family community, good schools, etc. is not that realistic.

Longmont might be possible and offers a lot, although it starts to get a little far to routinely take advantage of Denver amenities.

But yes, worth OP looking into the state, it does match up pretty well with your wish list.
Maybe Fort Collins fits the price point better

Old 03-12-2021, 01:01 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,330,296 times
I mention this because you say you like those quaint Northeast towns/cities.

I would say in no particular order:

1) Chicago suburbs (I know Chicago has a few of those quaint downtown suburbs, but I do not now the names of them. Pro you are closer to family in MN and Chicago is quite nice although the cold factor is not really being resolved I guess)

2) Philadelphia suburbs (you get the most for your money here in the northeast. Philadelphia is basically a mini NYC. West Chester, Pennsylvania jumps out to me immediately as a place you would love. West Chester is a quaint and historic/vibrant suburban town about 30 minutes west of Philadelphia and you could definitely find something for 400k here. It would not be the biggest home, but it would afford you something to start in.

3) Pittsburgh. You actually get a lot of house for your money here, and Pittsburgh has a strong tech scene with a fun and funky arts scene. Downside its probably the most isolated of the places I mentioned. Honestly it is very similar to Minneapolis with less extreme cold/winters overall. And Pittsburgh has some really quaint and nice historic neighborhoods in both the city and suburbs. 400k will get you a nice updated and spacious single family home here.

4) Portland, itself? I do not know its suburbs well, and I know it has gotten expensive as housing has not kept up with demand. Its winters are surprisingly more mild than you would expect.

5) Lancaster, Pennsylvania (probably the best kept secret in the Mid Atlantic). Such a beautiful and historic city with so many big city amenities and high frequency rail service directly to Philadelphia (in 60 minutes) and NYC (120 minutes). Its downtown is so beautiful and its suburbs are also quaint. It has anything from a Whole Foods to Apple Store to Nordstrom and West Elm so you have all the big city amenities, but housing is actually quite affordable. You could probably get into a nicely updated home for 400k here. Inside the city, politics are liberal in terms of a social scene. Franklin & Marshall an elite liberal arts college is inside the city and gives it a liberal flair.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 03-12-2021 at 01:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.