Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one more resembles Northern Canada/Alaska?
New Hampshire 12 44.44%
Upper Michigan 15 55.56%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 04:10 PM

39 posts, read 40,031 times

Advertisements

My friend wants to move to Alaska really bad but he can't because it's too expensive. He then started looking at New Hampshire and Upper Michigan. Which one feels more like Alaska?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 04:22 PM

379 posts, read 468,601 times
New Hampshire has much more rugged and prominent mountains which would be similar to Alaska. I would guess that UP would be more conservative overall than NH which would align more with Alaska.

So guess it depends.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:11 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
New Hampshire has much more rugged and prominent mountains which would be similar to Alaska.
The Appalachians aren’t exactly the Alaska Range. I can’t think of many ways in which NH would be a good sub for Alaska.

Why not somewhere in the PNW or Mountain West?

Old 06-14-2021, 05:35 PM

39 posts, read 40,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
The Appalachians aren’t exactly the Alaska Range. I can’t think of many ways in which NH would be a good sub for Alaska.

Why not somewhere in the PNW or Mountain West?
He says it's too liberal and also expensive.

Also he says NH and Upper MI remind him of the interior (e.g. Fairbanks area).

Last edited by DixieSam28; 06-14-2021 at 05:49 PM..

Old 06-14-2021, 06:09 PM

638 posts, read 349,440 times
I duno some parts of upper Michigan look more like Alaska and Canada. Although really the lack of real mountainous terrain in both places really is a bummer if he wants to live somewhere with that Alaskan feel.

Michigan has no real mountains and honestly the New Hampshire mountains do not feel like Alaska to me. Conifers dominate Alaskan forests.

Personally if you really love the feel of Alaska you would be disappointed in both those states. Three things come to mind in Alaska, and that is the numerous waterways, high rugged mountains that are glaciated, and large conifer dominated forests.

Nothing about New Hampshire feels like Alaska to me.

If he doesn’t like the liberal mindset of the Pacific Northwest he should really look at northern Idaho or western Montana. Both places have Alaska “like traits”…Also many Alaskan transplants live in both states with a strong Native American history with close ties to Alaskan native communities.

There are some spots that are not too terribly expensive, but it’s getting expensive fast.

Honestly if I were him I’d have a serious look at Wyoming as well as parts of it do remind oneself of the Alaskan interior.

Last edited by Thealpinist; 06-14-2021 at 06:21 PM..

Old 06-16-2021, 08:17 AM

44 posts, read 43,699 times
I would go with the U.P. Of Michigan (or God’s country as the locals like to call it).

As other posters mentioned, there is no real mountains there,… both otherwise the remoteness, abundant water and lakes, local self reliance culture, and love of the outdoors is very similar to aspects of Alaska. If you can get over the lack of mountains, I can see why someone who likes the Alaskan lifestyle could feel at home in the U.P.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:02 AM

12,856 posts, read 22,021,203 times
OP, your friend is mostly likely not going to be happy in either place if the focal point is simply "most like Alaska." Nobody is going to mistake either place for Alaska. He'd be better suited by listing out, specifically, what it is he likes most about Alaska. If it's a conservative rural area with big mountains and rugged terrain, there are places in Wyoming or Montana that will do a better AK impression than NH or MI.

If he's set on those two, I'd just say this about NH - look north of the key "touristy" areas. I'd draw an east/west line across the Summit of Mt. Washington and look north of that. It's far more conservative than the remainder of the state (which is very much purple), and it's much more sparsely populated. The White Mountains are rugged by east of the Mississippi standards, but nobody is going to confuse them for anything out west. A better alternative may be Northwestern Maine - from the Rangely area to Baxter State Park (and up into the Allagash Wilderness and North Woods). There's nowhere east of the Mississippi that's as wild as that region of Maine. It's pretty rugged territory, and it's not at all "liberal."

Old 06-16-2021, 11:52 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,957 times
Neither tbh but if I had to choose it would be NH for the mountains although they are nothing like the ones in Alaska. The most similar would be Washington state.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:06 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Maine is more Alaska-y than NH. But honestly, Alaska is unique. No place in the world like it.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:02 PM

638 posts, read 349,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Neither tbh but if I had to choose it would be NH for the mountains although they are nothing like the ones in Alaska. The most similar would be Washington state.
Yes that would be my suggestion, but it is to liberal for the OP.

I’d probably stick to Wyoming/Idaho/Montana. You can find cheap conservative places to live in those locations.

Sounds like OP wants to stay east. I’d still pick Michigan over NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.