Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 752 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Newport News as he had started a new job. We plan to drive from San Diego to Newport News right after the holidays and we plan to take the southern route (8/10/20/40). We have never done a coast-to-coast road trip and are worried about where/what city to stop for overnight stays along the way that is/are safe. Someone told me it's better to stay just outside of a big city so that we don't catch the morning commute out of that city the following day. Since we don't have much time to do this drive, unfortunately, we would only stop for the night to sleep. We would like to do about 7 to 8 hours of driving each day. I would like some suggestions on where to stop that are safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 01:54 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,665,830 times
You've gotten good advice as far as where to stay in relation to the cities at each stop. Since you'll be driving eastbound, stay on the east side of whichever cities you stop at for the night. That way, next morning, while people from those eastern suburbs are driving west toward the city to go to work, you'll be driving east, against the main flow. Another thing I've found helpful when doing long drives is to get an early start. Get up early, eat a quick breakfast at the hotel (things go faster if you stay at a place with free breakfast), and then get going. That way, you stop for the night around dinner time, and you can enjoy a more leisurely meal without having to worry about getting back on the road any more that night.

As for safe areas, you have to trust your gut. If you get off the interstate and the area looks seedy or dangerous, get back on and drive to the next exit. As a very general rule, exits that feature midrange hotels (Hampton Inn and the like) tend to be safe. If you have a preferred hotel chain, look them up and see if they have properties on the eastern side of the cities listed below.

Day 1: San Diego to Tucson, AZ -- this is only 6 hours of driving (all of these times are actual driving time and do not include time for rest breaks), but pickings are slim in the desert. If you don't stop there, there's no other good choices that won't result in a very long driving day.

Day 2: Tucson to Midland, TX -- this is 9 hours of driving, but trust me when I say that there is very, very little along the way to choose from, especially once you pass El Paso. El Paso itself is a nice place and a good place to stop for a meal. But between there and Midland, there are almost no hotels at all, and those few that exist, I wouldn't feel comfortable in staying in them. (Gas stations are also few and far between, so I would recommend topping off in El Paso.) Midland itself isn't much to write home about, but you'll be fine for a night. FYI, it's 4.5 hours and about 300 miles from El Paso to Midland. And those are very, very desolate miles.

Day 3: Midland to Texarkana, TX -- 7.5 hours of driving, and yep, you're still in Texas. Barely, though, as you're right on the state line. There are hotels on either side of the state line, but I found the selection to be better on the Texas side. The part of the city that's along I-30 seems like it's actually the nicest part of the city, so you'll be fine there. The hotels are in the city itself, not to the east of it, but it's a small enough place that traffic congestion the next morning shouldn't be a problem.

Day 4: Texarkana to Cookeville, TN -- this is 8.5 hours of driving, so a bit of a long day, but if you want to make the cross-country drive as quickly as possible, you'll need to stretch yourself a bit.

Day 5: Cookeville to Newport News, VA -- 9 hours of driving, but yay, you're there! Be aware that a good portion of this day's drive will be in mountainous terrain, so pay close attention to the weather forecasts and be prepared to accept a delay if there's snow. If you won't want to push yourself and get to Newport News at night, you could stay a little east of Richmond, which is an hour shy of Newport News. (Or Charlottesville, which is about 2.5 hours from Newport News.) Either way, you'd have a short drive on Day 6 and you'd arrive in Newport News in the daytime.

Last edited by bus man; 11-28-2021 at 02:16 PM..

Old 11-28-2021, 03:32 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,903,946 times
Good choices above. The most southern route is advised for obvious reasons in January.

Old 11-28-2021, 04:14 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,117,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrunch01 View Post
My husband and I are moving to Newport News as he had started a new job. We plan to drive from San Diego to Newport News right after the holidays and we plan to take the southern route (8/10/20/40). We have never done a coast-to-coast road trip and are worried about where/what city to stop for overnight stays along the way that is/are safe. Someone told me it's better to stay just outside of a big city so that we don't catch the morning commute out of that city the following day. Since we don't have much time to do this drive, unfortunately, we would only stop for the night to sleep. We would like to do about 7 to 8 hours of driving each day. I would like some suggestions on where to stop that are safe.
You are over thinking it. Just drive until you get tired and then find the nearest hotel or motel. If the area is not safe, you will probably know it just by looking at it.

Be prepared for winter driving, and make sure your tires are good for it. It looks like you will have a bit of mountain driving. Pay attention to the weather forecasts and make any necessary detours to avoid storms. The last thing you want to do is get stuck somewhere with the roads all shut down or impassable. Flexibility is the key.

Also for your time schedule, it looks like you will have about 40 hours of driving. So at 7 - 8 hours a day, it will take you five to six days. So budget at least six days, and everything will be fine.

Old 11-28-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You are over thinking it. Just drive until you get tired and then find the nearest hotel or motel. If the area is not safe, you will probably know it just by looking at it.
If you have ever driven I-10 through the Southwest, you would know that the OP is not over thinking it. You can literally go for more than 100 miles between suitable lodging choices.

Old 11-28-2021, 05:59 PM

9,883 posts, read 14,150,141 times
Why only 7-8 hours a day with 2 drivers? I can safely go 10 houra solo (any longer and I get punchy), so definately 12 with 2 drivers is very doable and will cut your trip time immensely.

Old 11-28-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Why only 7-8 hours a day with 2 drivers? I can safely go 10 houra solo (any longer and I get punchy), so definately 12 with 2 drivers is very doable and will cut your trip time immensely.
To be honest, I was kind of wondering about that too. I suppose it's possible they don't want to overextend themselves. Or maybe they want to limit themselves to daytime driving so they can actually see the country as they drive across it. If they decided to try and do 10 hours per day (which, with rest stops added on to it, works out to be closer to 12 hours of total travel each day), they could make the trip in four days, thus saving a day. Only the OP can decide if it's worth it or not. Personally, I'd stick with the 7-8 hours per day, because they'll be making the trip in January when the days are shorter, and since this is the first time they'll have ever driven across the country, it's nice to actually see it. But if they do decide to speed it up, here's what I'd recommend:

Day 1 -- San Diego to El Paso, TX -- 10.5 hours of driving, but there are plenty of lodging choices in El Paso (especially around Exit 25), and it's a nice place. It's also the only place for miles around worth stopping in.

Day 2 -- El Paso to Sulphur Springs, TX -- another 10.5 hours of driving, and by far the most boring part of the trip. Not much in Sulphur Springs to hold one's interest, but there are a few decent lodging choices, and a good amount of fast food, available at Exit 124.

Day 3 -- Sulphur Springs to Cookeville, TN --10 hours on this day as well.

Day 4 -- Cookeville to Newport News, VA -- 9 hours of driving, and hurray, you're arrived!

Old 11-28-2021, 06:41 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,117,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If you have ever driven I-10 through the Southwest, you would know that the OP is not over thinking it. You can literally go for more than 100 miles between suitable lodging choices.
You are right, I have never driven I-10. But I have driven all the major highways in Nevada, where it can be more then 150 miles between services. Somehow I always managed to get to the next motel without any planning. I believe the longest stretch of Interstate without services is I-70 in Utah, and I have driven that many times too, and never had a problem. As long as they have enough gas in their car, they should be okay.

Old 11-28-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You are right, I have never driven I-10. But I have driven all the major highways in Nevada, where it can be more then 150 miles between services. Somehow I always managed to get to the next motel without any planning. I believe the longest stretch of Interstate without services is I-70 in Utah, and I have driven that many times too, and never had a problem. As long as they have enough gas in their car, they should be okay.
To me it sounds like the OP has not done a lot of long-distance driving, and I think it would help her peace of mind if she mapped out her route and planned where to stop beforehand. But, if she prefers the flexibility of just taking it as it comes, that's fine too. I just think it's worth pointing out that services are few and far between on the route she'll be using, during the first half of the trip. On the plus side, I would think that most places along her route would have vacancies in January, which is one of the least-busy travel periods of the year.

And yes, I've driven that stretch of I-70 in Utah. When the sign says "Next Services 110 Miles," it is NOT kidding!

Old 11-28-2021, 08:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,903,946 times
Driving across the us is not that thrilling. I know, I have done it several times. Most of the trip is quite boring. Yes there are mountain and river areas that stand out, but few and far between. One thing to seek out on these trips are the unusual and remarkable sites and eateries that are off the beaten path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.