Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2022, 01:21 PM

30 posts, read 30,018 times

Advertisements

I plan on eventually taking a vacation to Presque Isle, ME or International Falls, MN because I want to see the northern lights but I'm too poor to go to Alaska. Which of these two places would I have a higher chance of seeing the Northern Lights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 09:38 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Northern Minnesota is at a higher latitude than Maine, so definitely International Falls. However, if you want a real northwoods experience, you should go to Ely or Grand Marais on Lake Superior.

International Falls isn't particularly charming or special in any way, other than being close to Voyageurs National Park.

Old 03-13-2022, 10:30 PM

638 posts, read 347,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucey Meatball View Post
I plan on eventually taking a vacation to Presque Isle, ME or International Falls, MN because I want to see the northern lights but I'm too poor to go to Alaska. Which of these two places would I have a higher chance of seeing the Northern Lights?
Much of Minnesota is a much farther north latitude than Maine. Might also want to try Idaho, Montana, or Washington State. The reality though is you won’t know there is going to be an aurora in these places more than 48 hours in advance. If you don’t live in the northern tier it would be hard to time your trip.

It is better to spend the money and take a flight to Fairbanks. You won’t be disappointed.

Last edited by Thealpinist; 03-13-2022 at 10:43 PM..

Old 05-14-2022, 01:49 PM

447 posts, read 372,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucey Meatball View Post
Maine offers great national parks (Bar Harbor), fresh lobster, ocean/sea fishing, quaint and charming towns, friendly people, and more intelligent citizens.

Minnesota offers old/dying towns, flat land/uninteresting parks, mediocre lake fishing if you like mostly bony pike, small-minded people that tend to be weary of outsiders, and rural people that consider the yearly float parade in their town as the annual highlight. You are more likely to see the northern lights in Maine as well.

The world ends north of the twin cities of Minnesota.

Old 05-14-2022, 01:51 PM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times
The best chance might actually be Michigan’s UP since you get a clear Northern horizon. But you’d still have to get lucky with solar activity

Old 05-14-2022, 04:25 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Canada

Old 05-14-2022, 08:00 PM

638 posts, read 347,315 times
Maine is the same latitude as Northern California. You have a better chance in Northern Minnesota. Honestly though don’t count on seeing it. Might as well spend the money and fly to Fairbanks.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:05 AM

447 posts, read 372,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Maine is the same latitude as Northern California. You have a better chance in Northern Minnesota. Honestly though don’t count on seeing it. Might as well spend the money and fly to Fairbanks.
Northern California is south of Maine's latitude. North of Northern California, there is still have Oregon and Washington state. Minnesota has the highest latitude, but as you say, odds are that the northern lights will likely not be seen.

Old 06-05-2022, 05:48 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister2 View Post
Maine offers great national parks (Bar Harbor), fresh lobster, ocean/sea fishing, quaint and charming towns, friendly people, and more intelligent citizens.

Minnesota offers old/dying towns, flat land/uninteresting parks, mediocre lake fishing if you like mostly bony pike, small-minded people that tend to be weary of outsiders, and rural people that consider the yearly float parade in their town as the annual highlight. You are more likely to see the northern lights in Maine as well.

The world ends north of the twin cities of Minnesota.
Troll harder

Old 06-06-2022, 06:41 PM

1,234 posts, read 941,091 times
All of Minnesota from Eveleth's latitude and up is farther north than all of Maine. Copper Harbor and Eagle Harbor in Michigan are both also farther north than all of Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.