Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 08:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,007,300 times

Advertisements

Will Indy, Cincy, Lex, LSVille, with Columbus and Dayton become a new Megalopolis?

All the cities I mention are with 2hrs driving time to Cincy. Cincy being the central hub.

Wiki has an article for a Great Lakes Megalopolis. But I dont think cities not along the lake front should be included. I think the aforementioned cities can be considered a separate Megalopolis. Plus the Cities that are on the lake front are very far from each other. They are all well over 3 hrs from each other driving time.

Only Chicago and Milwaukee are close. Chicagoland to Detroit or Toledo is around 5 hrs or more. Both Detroit and Cleveland to Toronto is around 4 hrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 08:54 PM

8,890 posts, read 6,920,122 times
Why would they?

Some industry they're going to dominate?

Climate change could help, but there are a lot of options for people to move to, so why these?

Old 07-10-2022, 08:57 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,007,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Why would they?

Some industry they're going to dominate?

Climate change could help, but there are a lot of options for people to move to, so why these?
Our economy is service based. So it just about where there is lot of people. All those cities are pretty close to each other.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:07 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,403,503 times
I just don't see people moving to this "fly over country" in mass to make them a megalopolis in the future . Certainly they are not that now.
Perhaps is housing is so very cheap that it is the incentive to move there.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:20 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,328,680 times
At the rate they’re growing, maybe in 250 years…

Old 07-10-2022, 09:20 PM

8,890 posts, read 6,920,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Our economy is service based. So it just about where there is lot of people. All those cities are pretty close to each other.

Does that mean services for people already in the area? If so, that's not an economic base. At least not one that'll grow.

The base (and growth) needs to be money coming from the rest of country and world, which then filters through the local economy and supports those local services. That can be HQs, factories, migration, whatever.

Old 07-11-2022, 12:14 AM

583 posts, read 571,446 times
Cincinnati and Dayton are just about there now. I drove south from Dayton to Cincinnati and there is barely any gap between Dayton's southern suburbs and Cincinnati's northern suburbs.

I got a good feeling driving through this area. It feels very new, is fairly well planned, and is a big area. The distance from northern Kentucky through Cincinnati to Dayton is about 60 miles. In comparison, Dallas to Fort Worth is 30 miles. With the right policies to attract business, this is an area you could see becoming the next DFW.

Old 07-11-2022, 12:44 AM

547 posts, read 564,770 times
I wouldn't call it a megalopolis, but I would consider it a grouping (possibly subgrouping if you're as loose as the old megaregions groupings) to take into account. It's kinda like Oklahoma City-Tulsa-NWA; or Birmingham-Huntsville-Nashville.

In terms of things like HSR, these corridors would be important, especially in the ways they could help link megaregions. But they wouldn't necessarily expect to have that whole suburbs touching thing.

Old 07-11-2022, 12:50 AM

6,404 posts, read 5,047,781 times
I don't think these cities have any particular connection to make them become a single megalopolis, but having said that I also don't consider them part of the Great Lakes megalopolis. Cincinnati and Louisville are like 5 hours from the nearest Great Lake and have totally different histories and demographic makeups from Cleveland, Milwaukee, Buffalo, etc. It's like calling Pittsburgh or Charleston, WV part of the Northeast Corridor.

Old 07-11-2022, 04:05 AM

484 posts, read 356,321 times
With US population growth slowing to a trickle it would take a minor miracle (or disaster) for this to happen in the next 100 years. Maybe if Florida and Houston get under sea level due to global warming but otherwise its hard to see a scenario where this occurs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.