Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 10:08 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Prior to Michelle Wu Boston had never had a black director of tourism and entertainment nor had it had a Black Chief Planner. Under Michelle Wu she has selected John Borders IV, a Boston Native and Morehouse Grad as Director Tourism, Entertainment, and Sports. Boston will be hosting the 2023 NAACP Convention and is bidding to host the 2026 NBA All Star Weekend.

Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey and Boston Mayor Michelle Wu are “in favor of trying to do everything they can to prepare the city to not only … place the bid, but also win the bid.”

She selected James Arthur Jemison- a black Amherst, MA native and former Boston resident- to be Chief Planner and head of the Boston Planning and Development agency, having poached him from the City of Detroit and Washington DC.

Prior to Michelle Wu Boston had never had a mayoral cabinet where more than 1/3rd of the member were people of color. Today 38% of Cabinets members are black, another third are Latino or Asian.

Article on Boston Mayoral Cabinet in 2014: Diversity lacking in Mayor Marty Walsh cabinet picks

Despite campaign trail promises to build an administration that is reflective of the diversity of the city at every level, the highest level of his administration remains overwhelmingly white. So far, only Chief of Staff Daniel Arrigg Koh and Health and Human Services Director Felix G. Arroyo add color to the 17-seat cabinet.

We’re disappointed at this point,” said Juan Leyton, interim director of the Latino Political group ¿Oiste? “We had the expectation that there would be more people of color in higher positions. We’re a majority people of color city. City Hall should reflect that at every level.”

Walsh’s top level appointments have left some who supported him in the last year’s race for mayor concerned.

“This doesn’t look like the new Boston,” said Alex Oliver-Davila, executive director of Sociedad Latina and a member of the Latino Network, a group of nonprofit leaders. “I’m disappointed and obviously concerned that there are only two people of color in his cabinet.”

Article on Boston Mayoral Cabinet in 2023: Majority of Wu’s cabinet chiefs are people of color

Mayor Michelle Wu began her State of the City speech by name-checking members of her administration, two-thirds of whom, she noted, are people of color.

While Boston was declared a so-called majority-minority city following the 2000 U.S. Census, Wu’s administration marks the first time people of color make up more than a third of cabinet positions in a mayoral administration.

Mayor Wu also announced her committee for the Reparations Task Force. The city will pay 10 black people to come up with recommendations for Boston's reparations, to be implemented in 2024. City ordinance "requires that at least five commission members be descendants of American freedmen, or Africans enslaved in the United States."

In 2014 Boston had just 8 black-owned full liquor licenses, maybe 2 for beer and wine?

By the summer of 2023, that number will be 23/24. We are already over 20.

Comfort Kitchen*
Grace **
Jazz Urbane **
Estella*
Bred Gourmet*
MIDA
Darryl’s
Slades
Cesarias
Cafe Sauvage*
HUE*
Bon Apetit
Blue Nile
Suya Joint*
Dave the Chefs*
Savvor*
Park 54*
District 7*
Soleil*
Wally’s
Zaz
Top Mix*
Apex Noire*

* opened after 2014
** opening this year

That’s 23, I think I’m missing one

Strand theatre is owned by the city. It it’s a balck clientele- they just got one.

We already have empirical data that black incomes in Boston are rising quickly- above national averages- and the city has more residents who identify as black than ever before. From my own observations, the black population in Boston in 2023 compared to Boston in 2010 is younger, wealthier, more childless, and more ethnically diverse.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-13-2023 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 12:23 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Prior to Michelle Wu Boston had never had a black director of tourism and entertainment nor had it had a Black Chief Planner. Under Michelle Wu she has selected John Borders IV, a Boston Native and Morehouse Grad as Director Tourism, Entertainment, and Sports. Boston will be hosting the 2023 NAACP Convention and is bidding to host the 2026 NBA All Star Weekend.

Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey and Boston Mayor Michelle Wu are “in favor of trying to do everything they can to prepare the city to not only … place the bid, but also win the bid.”

She selected James Arthur Jemison- a black Amherst, MA native and former Boston resident- to be Chief Planner and head of the Boston Planning and Development agency, having poached him from the City of Detroit and Washington DC.

Prior to Michelle Wu Boston had never had a mayoral cabinet where more than 1/3rd of the member were people of color. Today 38% of Cabinets members are black, another third are Latino or Asian.

Article on Boston Mayoral Cabinet in 2014: Diversity lacking in Mayor Marty Walsh cabinet picks

Despite campaign trail promises to build an administration that is reflective of the diversity of the city at every level, the highest level of his administration remains overwhelmingly white. So far, only Chief of Staff Daniel Arrigg Koh and Health and Human Services Director Felix G. Arroyo add color to the 17-seat cabinet.

We’re disappointed at this point,” said Juan Leyton, interim director of the Latino Political group ¿Oiste? “We had the expectation that there would be more people of color in higher positions. We’re a majority people of color city. City Hall should reflect that at every level.”

Walsh’s top level appointments have left some who supported him in the last year’s race for mayor concerned.

“This doesn’t look like the new Boston,” said Alex Oliver-Davila, executive director of Sociedad Latina and a member of the Latino Network, a group of nonprofit leaders. “I’m disappointed and obviously concerned that there are only two people of color in his cabinet.”

Article on Boston Mayoral Cabinet in 2023: Majority of Wu’s cabinet chiefs are people of color

Mayor Michelle Wu began her State of the City speech by name-checking members of her administration, two-thirds of whom, she noted, are people of color.

While Boston was declared a so-called majority-minority city following the 2000 U.S. Census, Wu’s administration marks the first time people of color make up more than a third of cabinet positions in a mayoral administration.

Mayor Wu also announced her committee for the Reparations Task Force. The city will pay 10 black people to come up with recommendations for Boston's reparations, to be implemented in 2024. City ordinance "requires that at least five commission members be descendants of American freedmen, or Africans enslaved in the United States."

In 2014 Boston had just 8 black-owned full liquor licenses, maybe 2 for beer and wine?

By the summer of 2023, that number will be 23/24. We are already over 20.

Comfort Kitchen*
Grace **
Jazz Urbane **
Estella*
Bred Gourmet*
MIDA
Darryl’s
Slades
Cesarias
Cafe Sauvage*
HUE*
Bon Apetit
Blue Nile
Suya Joint*
Dave the Chefs*
Savvor*
Park 54*
District 7*
Soleil*
Wally’s
Zaz
Top Mix*
Apex Noire*

* opened after 2014
** opening this year

That’s 23, I think I’m missing one

Strand theatre is owned by the city. It it’s a balck clientele- they just got one.

We already have empirical data that black incomes in Boston are rising quickly- above national averages- and the city has more residents who identify as black than ever before. From my own observations, the black population in Boston in 2023 compared to Boston in 2010 is younger, wealthier, more childless, and more ethnically diverse.
Are there certain neighborhoods that you notice a difference in terms of where there appears to be more of a black middle class presence?

Old 02-13-2023, 12:33 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are there certain neighborhoods that you notice a difference in terms of where there appears to be more of a black middle class presence?
Yea- the sub-neighborhoods.

Roxbury:
Roxbury Hills
Fort Hill
Franklin Park
Mission Hill (Mostly college students, no considered its own neighborhood)
Dudley-Brunswick-King
Frederick Douglass Historic District/Lower Roxbury ((areas south of Massachusetts Avenue)

Dorchester:
Ashmont Hill
Lower Mills
Codman Hill

Hyde Park:
All of Hyde Park

Roslindale:
Eastern Roslindlae

Mattapan:
Southern Mattapan
Wellington Hill
Alabama-Colorado Streets

Jamaica Plain:
Hyde Square

IMO 95% all of Boston's black neighborhoods look middle class. Thres virtually no more abandoned building or distressed properties. Just vacant lots and worn proeperties.

But like....

Most of Boston black neighborhoods look like this

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3138...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2977...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2749...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2880...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2701...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2616...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3307...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2814...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3361...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3025...7i16384!8i8192

More distressed areas look like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3146...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3160...7i16384!8i8192

Virtually all of Black Boston would be considered middle class areas in Philadelphia, and probably in NYC too. The issues Boston has are 1) affordability 2) Convincing black people from other areas to give it a genuine shot 3) Public School Options 4) Cultural gathering places

Id say we're getting down to just the first 3 issues. But basic livability and safety is not an issue. The massive walkups of NYC and the congestedness is not a real issue. The grime and crime of Philly certainly is not. Even on issue #3 most black middle-class parents just use the Charter Schools, METCO or Catholic/Private Schools. But in the South there are viable black public schools and larger newer cheaper homes.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-13-2023 at 12:48 PM..

Old 02-19-2023, 01:46 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
There isnt any data on this or this another guess it all thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.