Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 05:28 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxurbanite View Post
Seattle - Capitol Hill, Ballard
Yes... it's delightful to walk along Broadway in the evening,
especially if a recent rain has made everything look shiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 05:59 PM

365 posts, read 230,538 times
San Francisco - Haight Street, Nob Hill, Russian Hill

Seattle - Ballard, Capitol Hill, Pioneer Square

Old 11-08-2022, 08:24 PM

577 posts, read 564,201 times
In Mississippi, the downtowns of Bay St. Louis, Ocean Springs, and Oxford classify as adorable and were chosen as the nation's best coastal towns and best college town. Also the Belhaven and Fondren neighborhoods in Jackson are in the adorable and authentic category.

In Memphis, the South Main/ South Front Street isn't magical but I will say it's quickly evolving into a legitimate urban neighborhood, with new hotels, parks, apartments, restaurants, and galleries. Combined with Mud Island on the Mississippi River it's a great area.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:44 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,154 times
Lots of people on here seem more familiar with the east coast/southeast, and I'd agree places like Savannah, Charleston, Marigny in New Orleans, North End in Boston etc are magical.

But I think you can find magical neighborhoods in any region if you look hard enough:

Midwest

German Village, Columbus
Old Market, Omaha
Old Third Ward, Milwaukee

Southwest

Barrio Viejo, Tucson
Nob Hill, Albuquerque
Downtown Santa Fe

Old 11-10-2022, 02:24 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Boston’s North End is especially magical during the summer festivals like the Fisherman’s and Saint Anthony’s feast. Nothing quite like the packed narrow streets with the lights, vendors, music, etc.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:46 AM

10,069 posts, read 14,449,392 times
This could be an entirely different thread and topic, but I've been to many university campuses that are absolutely incredibly magical, dense "villages" that transport you away to another world.

Here are some of the best campuses I've been to that succeed in doing this--

Yale University, New Haven, CT
Univ of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Duke University, Durham, NC
University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
Michigan State Univ, Lansing, MI
Columbia University, NYC, NY

Old 11-10-2022, 07:09 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Interesting thread. I prefer the neighborhoods in the Northeast, so agree with whoever highlighted Georgetown, Dupont, NYC, etc. Organic matters. I like Austin, but I wouldn't describe Rainey as magical at all. Drunk hipsters drinking PBR doesn't do it. Pretty contrived

Old 11-10-2022, 08:00 AM

1,051 posts, read 573,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This could be an entirely different thread and topic, but I've been to many university campuses that are absolutely incredibly magical, dense "villages" that transport you away to another world.

Here are some of the best campuses I've been to that succeed in doing this--

Yale University, New Haven, CT
Univ of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Duke University, Durham, NC
University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
Michigan State Univ, Lansing, MI
Columbia University, NYC, NY
Agreed on Yale and Columbia. NYU before the Olsen Twins & Starbucks invaded its otherwise quaint and free-spirited former (much smaller) campus, was very lovely with spirit and energy. (I randomly came across an out-of-print John Lennon book with his autograph and doodling. Right in front of some NYU building with a hippie street vendor.)

The Berkeley in the ‘90s. My sister went to UC Berkeley and lived on a Victorian house on Prince St. I stayed with her every summer and just fell in love with Berkeley. The Berkeley Bowl drilled my love for big, warehouse-like, colorful and warm grocery shopping. Telegraph Avenue, while some might frown upon the “homeless” population (back in the ‘90s was mostly wannabe hippies and young kids who wanted to be Jimi Hendrix.), was bustling with excitement and novelty. (for the then-teenager me anyway.) I still miss the pizza from Blondie.

My husband and I both aren’t big fans of NJ, but we like Princeton NJ. We often went down there from NYC for a quick trip at Princeton Record Exchange,(where I tasted my first Wawa coffee ant Princeton Junction train station! I love that cute little train stop. Quaint and unassuming.) then ate at this very nice Indian restaurant on Weatherspoon (?) (or is it Washington Rd?) and bookstores hunting. My good friend lived in Cranbury NJ (who also didn’t care for the rest of Jersey.) so we often met in Princeton (I just remember one year going to the Middlesex county fair with her that she pointed out a bunch of big hair, stonewashed denim-clad older ladies and told me they are the Bon Jovi groupies because it wasn’t far from where Bon Jovi was from.-I thought they were so adorable! They looked so happy!)

We went to Ann Arbor one year to visit a friend. Ann Arbor was supposed to be this “enlightening” cool college town but maybe it’s the company we kept (she and her husband only eat at the Vegan restaurants.) that I found Ann Arbor kind of depressing.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:24 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
"Sidsetreet" magic is a thing in Philadelphia. The village-y nabes of Society Hill/Queen Village deserve mention:

https://goo.gl/maps/zyr8zrL92veTnumf6

https://goo.gl/maps/MYRqhL4ZB2Af1b5m6

https://goo.gl/maps/UmscH72XucsLZc4F9

Old 11-10-2022, 08:46 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
There is a saying "experience the magic of Christmas in New York City". I echo the statements of Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue, Bryant Park, etc., during the Christmas season.

For traditional urban neighborhoods, I've always found the unique colonial streets of Philadelphia and Boston to be some of the most enjoyable and "magical". Plenty of spots in NYC too.

Philadelphia: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9467...7i16384!8i8192

Boston: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3576...!7i7680!8i3840
Agree, agree, agree. It's like you're transformed back in time. Hard to beat Christmas in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.