Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 10:14 PM

14 posts, read 12,290 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are having trouble deciding between northern IN or MI. Looking for family friendly, land, freedoms, cool weather, lakes to swim..
I don't know much about the area, we have lived on both coasts. So any advice or things I may not be considering in my decision? Which area do you prefer and why? Is either one more plagued by lymes, wind, crime, lockdowns? Any new bills going to be passed that may change opinions? Will either gov be voted out this year? I'm looking for seriously ANY additional info.

Thank you so much!

Old 01-17-2022, 07:05 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Both states are affected by the US Constitution so freedoms are on an equal stage, are both largely family-friendly, have similar climates and there are plenty of lakes to choose from. Kalamazoo is a nice smaller city/college town in SW Michigan worth checking out. For a smaller town with more land and a small town/rural feel check out the towns of Allegan or Fennville. In Indiana check out Elkhartfor a smaller city option or for the rural vibes, towns like Goshen or Warsaw.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:30 AM

51 posts, read 41,694 times
Michigan's gonna be your best bet. Both states are ranked high in freedom and are very family-oriented but Michigan has a TON more lakes than Indiana and the only place in Indiana with cool weather would be the far-northern strip near the Michigan border. Both states do have some crime but it's only in certain areas (Indianapolis, South Bend, and NWI for Indiana, Detroit and some other Lower Peninsula towns for Michigan). I recommend you check out the Upper Peninsula and the northern half of the Lower Peninsula. Would head up to Michigan myself but Wisconsin seems to be more gun-friendly.

Old 01-17-2022, 02:23 PM

Thank you both! I will check out the areas you mentioned for sure.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:58 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bootheel Bros. View Post
Would head up to Michigan myself but Wisconsin seems to be more gun-friendly.
In what way? Wisconsin was the 2nd to last state (Illinois last) to legalize concealed carry, and that was only a few years ago. Wisconsin also lagged Michigan in muzzleloader hunting (Wisconsin just legalized scope use several years ago).

Old 01-17-2022, 05:49 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bootheel Bros. View Post
Michigan's gonna be your best bet. Both states are ranked high in freedom and are very family-oriented but Michigan has a TON more lakes than Indiana and the only place in Indiana with cool weather would be the far-northern strip near the Michigan border. Both states do have some crime but it's only in certain areas (Indianapolis, South Bend, and NWI for Indiana, Detroit and some other Lower Peninsula towns for Michigan). I recommend you check out the Upper Peninsula and the northern half of the Lower Peninsula. Would head up to Michigan myself but Wisconsin seems to be more gun-friendly.
Northwest Indiana doesn't have much crime issues, outside of Gary to be honest. Excluding the Miller part of Gary near the Lake Michigan lakefront, which isn't as bad as the rest of Gary. And I'd say for South Bend, that some parts of that city aren't bad. Sure there are a few areas of South Bend that aren't as nice(i.e. parts of the west side of SB), bit I don't think it's as bad as some think. I think SB is trending in a better direction in recent years, myself.

It depends what you're looking for, where you move to. If you are averse to winters that are way too cold, you might want to consider Indiana. But if that doesn't bother you, then consider Michigan. Let's not forget there are a few communities in Michigan that aren't as nice, particularly Benton Harbor and Flint. Some places seem a little stagnant there too, i.e. Jackson.

Good luck, wherever you decide to move to! I'm not sure if the OP is more looking for a bigger city, or a small town. And to be honest, Indiana might be better if you want to live somewhere that isn't as politically left leaning. I personally don't like how excessive all the restrictions Gov. Whitmer imposed on businesses, at the start of the COVID pandemic.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:37 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
[quote=SonySegaTendo617;62720823 I personally don't like how excessive all the restrictions Gov. Whitmer imposed on businesses, at the start of the COVID pandemic.[/QUOTE]

Whitmer was Indiana's Business Person Of The Year, for sending Michigan residents to Indiana for basic services.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:46 AM

125 posts, read 121,662 times
I’ve visited La Porte, IN a couple times and it seems like a really nice place.

Old 01-25-2022, 04:36 PM

Has Whitmer kept up with the restrictions? Will she be voted out in november?

Old 01-26-2022, 02:58 AM

255 posts, read 159,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove243 View Post
Has Whitmer kept up with the restrictions? Will she be voted out in november?
Couldn't tell you if she'll be voted out, but covid restrictions ended a long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.