Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 07:39 AM

327 posts, read 222,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Also back to the thread topic I am convinced that literally anywhere is going to be more laidback than the Northeast corridor. Maybe not by a whole lot for some areas but to some degree, yes. I have family who live along the I-95 in between Baltimore and Philadelphia with farmland and they are still hustle and bustle. And they live on farmland with exurban development around them. There really is no escape in that part of the country I'm convinced because if it would be anywhere, it would be in the ruralish areas and it most certainly isn't.

I know Maryland is not Connecticut but I feel like just being within NYC's sphere of influence is enough.
By Northeast U.S. standards, I found Kent and Sussex counties in Delaware to be very relaxed and slow-paced, especially in the off-season. However, as you approach the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (while traveling westward in the Delmarva Peninsula), life begins to move at a faster pace.

Also, for the record, New York State is rather laid-back and slow-paced once you exit New York City's sphere of influence, which does not extend as far north as one may think due to the fact that the Hudson River Valley is a very mountainous region. North of the Bear Mountain Bridge, drivers in New York State are remarkably slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 07:10 AM

2,372 posts, read 1,857,841 times
There are only like 3 states that are less laid back than Connecticut and they are all nearby

Old 03-04-2023, 05:05 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Hawaii has a laid back vibe.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:48 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkim View Post
So I'm going to be considering a move in the near future - possibly far from where I live now (Connecticut), and well my main question is, are there any parts of the country that are more down to earth, less hustle and bustle?

Like here in Connecticut it's pretty much a Northeastern vibe - people rushing to work like nutjobs, people rushing to go to park on the weekends like nutjobs, people tailgaiting you on any major road for no reason other to be jerks and what have you....

I'm just curious are there any parts of the country (states, specifically) that are more low key, down to earth, with more respectful and laid back people that don't do these things?

Or at least less than the Northeast?

Any advice would be great - thanks.
Just about anywhere in the Midwest outside of major cities.

Old 03-04-2023, 09:22 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
So I'm going to be considering a move in the near future - possibly far from where I live now (Connecticut), and well my main question is, are there any parts of the country that are more down to earth, less hustle and bustle?

Like here in Connecticut it's pretty much a Northeastern vibe - people rushing to work like nutjobs, people rushing to go to park on the weekends like nutjobs, people tailgaiting you on any major road for no reason other to be jerks and what have you....

I'm just curious are there any parts of the country (states, specifically) that are more low key, down to earth, with more respectful and laid back people that don't do these things?

I lived near Nashville 17 years. Loved it, only moved back as family is far older than I, so here for the send off period.

Great people, solid economic growth, low COL, some awesome suburbs offer superb QOL. I highly recommend it.

Old 03-05-2023, 05:30 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Vermont.

Old 03-05-2023, 07:02 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times
I'm in sales and I deal with a lot of people all over the country and ask any salesguy in our office, as soon as we see a CT number we all sigh, here comes a pushy demanding over bearing customer that is not understanding at all. So to see this headline kinda shocks having never been to CT but any time you deal with anyone with a CT area code it's buckle up this is going to be a wild ride.

Old 03-06-2023, 05:16 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Just move to Killingly. You don’t even have to leave the state to find punisher stickers, truck nuts, huge confederate flags, and meth/heroin zombie chic.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:08 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
I’m not even going to list specific states. Anything which isn’t on the BosWash I95 corridor will be laidback by comparison, with the exception of some major cities. And in a lot of ways, most large cities feel less frenetic than the times I’ve been to/through CT.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:16 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:

You'll probably fit in if you try Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.