Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 10:32 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,607,079 times

Advertisements

If there had been a forum like this, what would your parents have said about where you were raised? Was it good enough for them? For you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 10:40 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,607,079 times
At the peak of the depression. they had jobs, and their company moved to a midwestern farm town, where they married soon after, and died 70 years later. They loved it, my childhood was idyllid.

I've lived in similar towns, and would never want to raise kids anywhere else.

Old 03-12-2023, 01:51 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,015,361 times
My parents both ended up in Chicago for grad school in the '80s, that's how they met. My dad has always talked about how grateful he is that the cultural and intellectual diversity of the city lifted him out of his conservative Indiana suburban bubble.

I don't think my mom has any particular opinion. She grew up in NYC so it wasn't a new experience to her. She enjoys being able to go to random ethnic restaurants. She works with the city government and thinks it's dysfunctional, but who doesn't. I can't imagine her living in a small town or outer-ring suburb.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:18 AM

543 posts, read 395,992 times
I grew up in Valparaiso, IN (about an hour from Chicago). My mom was a math professor at the University there. My parents thought it was the perfect place to live and raise a family. My parents liked it that it was small town with access to Chicago, has one of the best school districts in the state, is a university town which brings in lots of fun cultural and sports events that they loved, and in their case was just 45 minutes away from where my dad's parents lived and four hours from where my mom's parents lived. They both went to college at the University there too. In City Data forums Valparaiso is often mentioned as having a cute, thriving downtown.

In retirement the University activities were just wonderful for them too. And in their younger retirement years they went into Chicago for all kinds of things regularly (all those Grant Park summer concerts). In older retirement years, they and dad (still does. mom is deceased now) concerts at the University, downtown Valpo, and nearby.

I actually prefer a one to three million metro area vs. a small city like Valparaiso that is on the edge of a really large metro area. As an adult DH and I have lived in Indianapolis, IN (loved that), Erie, PA (a little small and not really enough cultural activities for us, but it has it's positives with Presque Isle State park right there), Denver, CO (loved that), and St. Louis, MO (We live in a close in suburb there and really like it there too, although we did miss the mountain the first few years we lived here).

Old 03-12-2023, 08:29 AM

3,581 posts, read 3,084,096 times
My parents spent their entire lives living, working, and socializing within a mile or two of where they were born. The big "step up" was my mother moving from the Black Rock neighborhood to the adjacent North Buffalo neighborhood with her parents during the war, where she married my father (also from Black Rock) and where we grew up, in the downstairs unit below my grandparents. My mother's only complaint was that she wished she had lived "across the street" as the houses there were singles instead of the double we lived in, and had bigger yards. But in the next breath she would say that she had more privacy in the house we were in because of the way it was situated. At one time there was some talk of moving back to Black Rock, but overall my parents were very satisfied with where we lived. I even moved back into the same house after they both passed away.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:49 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,327,907 times
They’d say Rochester was good enough for them even if it were trending in the wrong direction. There was still a large corporate presence with Kodak, Xerox and Bausch & Lomb supplying relatively easy access to stable jobs, as well as plenty of affordable community-oriented neighborhoods to raise a family in. The city would be compared favorably over many Sunbelt cities now considered major. Even over a decade ago when I first joined the forum, Rochester was a more common topic of discussion. Today it is slowly fading into irrelevancy not because of a dramatic collapse (some data suggests the opposite – it’s growing again), but because cities in other regions are outpacing the Northeast and Great Lakes dramatically. So very different.

Old 03-12-2023, 09:04 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
My parents were both raised in small apartments in Chicago. They ended up in a large house in suburban Southern California, on the Los Angeles/Orange county line.

They loved the California weather and their big garden. They never once said a fond word about Midwest weather, such as missing the thunderstorms / snow etc.

They also liked having the space to spread out. They filled our house with nice furniture and lots of artwork, they liked having a big place to raise a large family and entertrain.

They missed having cultural opportunities (museums, galleries, concerts) nearby. We had to drive quite a ways to get to anything like that. My mom especially hated driving and did as little as possible. She wouldn't drive on the freeway at all, so she was pretty confined to our immediate area. She sometimes talked about how easy it was to get around on public transit in Chicago and she definitely missed that.

The work opportunities for my dad were better here, which is why they ended up here in the first place. When they moved out, he was working in the aerospace industry, but he later started a small advertising and marketing firm specializing in high tech accounts. The LA area was a good place for that.

All in all, I think they were happy here. They sometimes complained that people in California were sloppy, too relaxed, and didn't dress up nicely etc. as they had in Chicago, but I think that was a factor of the time (they grew up in the 1930s and 40s, and by the time I was around it was the 1970s and the culture had totally changed) than the place.

Old 03-12-2023, 09:04 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,396,257 times
My parents moved from rural location to a county seat in NE Oklahoma in 1954. They would have said "this is a safe, clean town with good schools and good jobs".

But in the post war boom the same could be said for small to medium sized towns all over the country.

Old 03-12-2023, 11:50 AM

16,097 posts, read 10,766,542 times
I don't think my parents ever second guessed their lives in the city of St. Louis or seriously considered moving to a different city. They moved to the suburbs in 1953 due to the post-war housing shortage but continued to work downtown. We took vacations to other places every year but the topic of moving never came up. Part of that was family connections. They all lived in the city. My dad was a baseball fan and the Cardinals and the (earlier) Browns were his teams. I remember going to Browns games at Sportsman's Park. Family roots in St. Louis went back to before the Civil War. I had one uncle that moved out of the city and eventually to California, but the rest stayed in St. Louis. I moved away permanently in 1976.

Late in my dad's career he was transferred to a city in Virginia, and they sort of considered it as a long vacation and moved back to the St. Louis area when they retired.

Old 03-12-2023, 05:00 PM

12,851 posts, read 9,587,241 times
They worked 14 hours a day. They didn't have time to complain I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.