Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 12:06 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,722,163 times

Advertisements

Remarkable how the same states and markets continue to dominate biotech. California, Mass, and New York State account for 75% of funding, New Jersey, PA, and Wash State another 6%. Texas and Florida are rounding errors.

https://www.cushmanwakefield.com/en/...unding-in-view
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 12:21 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Amazing indeed

Old 04-05-2023, 12:56 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Biotech and R&D space in Boston is truly getting out of control. Nearly every week, there's an announcement about new lab space and research construction in pockets all over Boston and Cambridge.

The sad reality is, these developments are about as sterile as it gets. It leaves these little areas of the city completely void of a soul. It's even starting to stretch into places like Allston and Brighton and Somerville.

Look at the modern day Kendall Square/"Canal District". 360 views of midrises, new construction, and some first floor markets and coffee shops. A couple of trees. Maybe a brick sidewalk here and there for kicks. I mean, this is less than a mile from downtown.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3654...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3661...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3636...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3652...7i16384!8i8192

Seaport, at least to me, is the only exception that found nice balance between Bio, tech, and full time living and entertainment.

Old 04-05-2023, 02:24 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Important to point out the dramatic drops in funding amounts from 2020/2021 though. Yeesh.

There's no question that the volume of VC is going to be much less frenetic for the foreseeable future.

Old 04-06-2023, 07:26 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Important to point out the dramatic drops in funding amounts from 2020/2021 though. Yeesh.

There's no question that the volume of VC is going to be much less frenetic for the foreseeable future.
Venture capital is very much the herd mentality. They’ll find the next shiny technology to pour money into soon enough.

Old 04-06-2023, 08:51 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Biotech and R&D space in Boston is truly getting out of control. Nearly every week, there's an announcement about new lab space and research construction in pockets all over Boston and Cambridge.

The sad reality is, these developments are about as sterile as it gets. It leaves these little areas of the city completely void of a soul. It's even starting to stretch into places like Allston and Brighton and Somerville.

Look at the modern day Kendall Square/"Canal District". 360 views of midrises, new construction, and some first floor markets and coffee shops. A couple of trees. Maybe a brick sidewalk here and there for kicks. I mean, this is less than a mile from downtown.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3654...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3661...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3636...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3652...7i16384!8i8192

Seaport, at least to me, is the only exception that found nice balance between Bio, tech, and full time living and entertainment.
Yea it’s totally out of control and going in without any influence or input from the city at this point. Housing starts have slowed to nearly nothing. Far more lab space being built than residential space. It’s made places virtually unrecognizable with the sterility of the new architecture. And just continues to shoot the COL there higher and higher. The city and everyone in it know labs are terrible for vitality and foot traffic. They’re wide buildings without ground floor retail and they don’t actually have many people in them at any one point.

Lab space is seeping into Roxbury Dorchester and the suburbs. It’s crazy to think 10 years ago you rarely heard about “labs” now it’s all that built- even the liquor stores, news headquarters, breweries, and auto shops have become lab space.

Old 04-06-2023, 09:18 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,891,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

And a ton in worcester too. But for now, apartment starts are outpacing (after rents have almost doubled in the last 2 years)

Old 04-06-2023, 09:36 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Labs SHOULD be full of people. The typical density is similar to offices, and lab jobs mostly have to be onsite vs. WFH.

I'd say modern midrise/lowrise offices are similar in how they affect neighborhoods. They like big floorplates and limited retail as well.

No midrise commercial district will support great retail. No midrise residential district either. Retail in these neighborhoods has to be concentrated, like on a key street. (Unless the area is a regional shopping district drawing from all over.) Mixing uses does help, because a restaurant for example can open weekdays, nights, and weekends.

Boston, SF, and SD are making some of us jealous. About 25 years ago every city tried to jump onto the biotech bandwagon, and only a few have succeeded in a big way. Others, like Seattle, have done ok in a second tier but would love to be more like you.

Old 04-06-2023, 09:50 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Labs SHOULD be full of people. The typical density is similar to offices, and lab jobs mostly have to be onsite vs. WFH.

I'd say modern midrise/lowrise offices are similar in how they affect neighborhoods. They like big floorplates and limited retail as well.

No midrise commercial district will support great retail. No midrise residential district either. Retail in these neighborhoods has to be concentrated, like on a key street. (Unless the area is a regional shopping district drawing from all over.) Mixing uses does help, because a restaurant for example can open weekdays, nights, and weekends.

Boston, SF, and SD are making some of us jealous. About 25 years ago every city tried to jump onto the biotech bandwagon, and only a few have succeeded in a big way. Others, like Seattle, have done ok in a second tier but would love to be more like you.
Is it really?- most people I know who talk about city vitality and street life complain that there are not actually a lot of people in a lab at any given time vs an office (when it's fully occupied).

From afar at least, It seems there is growing sentiment in Boston that lab space is harmful to the overall well-being of the city's social infrastructure and commercial activity. Many people say it's eating away at much-needed space for housing and recreation.

It's more profitable to build lab space over housing and that's why its breaking this way.

Lab space is permitted & built so readily for the same reason cities love tourists - they spend a bunch of money and barely use municipal services. More specifically:

(1) You don't have to build out surrounding services (e.g. trash, power, waste management, fire, etc.) to accommodate to the same degree you would residential development

(2) Property taxes on commercial developments is significantly higher than residential, effectively subsidizing homeowners in the area

(3) Provides relatively high-paying jobs, which flow back to the city/state via taxes

(4) Employees spend money (food, drinks, etc.) at local businesses around the lab

(5) No risk of "undesirables", "higher crime" or "ruining neighborhood character"

(6) Lab space is much more straightforward to build than residential. You don't need kitchens for every unit, laundry, bathrooms, etc. Much easier to build out a couple of lab spaces to scale than 100+ units in the equivalent space.

(7) Adding onto previous point - lab spaces are rented out on long term (8+ year) leases to businesses. Less work/risk on the part of the property owner.

(8) More likely to raise property values for homeowners

Old 04-06-2023, 10:13 AM

1,204 posts, read 792,883 times
Always find it crazy that 270 corridor near DC ("Suburban MD") never has that much VC money, but remains a large biotech area thanks to the gov't (i.e. NIH).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea it’s totally out of control and going in without any influence or input from the city at this point. Housing starts have slowed to nearly nothing. Far more lab space being built than residential space. It’s made places virtually unrecognizable with the sterility of the new architecture. And just continues to shoot the COL there higher and higher. The city and everyone in it know labs are terrible for vitality and foot traffic. They’re wide buildings without ground floor retail and they don’t actually have many people in them at any one point.

Lab space is seeping into Roxbury Dorchester and the suburbs. It’s crazy to think 10 years ago you rarely heard about “labs” now it’s all that built- even the liquor stores, news headquarters, breweries, and auto shops have become lab space.
Meanwhile in MD most of the new "lab space" are always in the suburbs (MoCo extending up to FredCo now), cheaper land, occupy enough suburban offices that had been struggling (with the trend of offices being move back to central city at least pre-pandemic), and not taking up spaces that could be use for higher density development. I believe it's similar to Raleigh/Durham.

SD is similar to Boston from what I read, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.