Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 05:32 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times

Advertisements

This data from Pew Research is bit dated, but how does it hold up for your area?
For Southern California(and likely also Northern California), it seems to be on point with Hispanic/Whites being the most intermarried couples followed by White(husband)/Asian(wife).

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...iage-01-00.png

Source: https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...intermarriage/

Last edited by JMT; 05-31-2023 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 08:29 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Southern New Mexico here. If someone is from here, it would be at least half of couples. Slightly more white men married to Hispanic women but both ways. It's very common here, and is part of day to day life. No one would ever consider it a big deal.

Old 06-01-2023, 09:58 AM

2,543 posts, read 2,863,541 times
LIC, Queens, NYC.

White (husband) and Asian (wife) is the most popular intermarried couple here.

Old 06-01-2023, 10:27 AM

Myself, I am Hispanic and my wife is white.

My neighbors are also an intermarried couple of Hispanic Husband and Asian Wife. Have to admit, this isn't seen very often but he was a Marine who brought back to the states a Japanese bride he met while stationed in Japan. Their kids have citizenship in Japan, Mexico and the US.

Old 06-01-2023, 10:46 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
In guessing Hispanic in this case is non-white Hispanic?

Old 06-01-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
In guessing Hispanic in this case is non-white Hispanic?
The other way around according to the footnotes. Blacks, White and even Asian Non Hispanic are counted as such. So a white Argentine-American will be counted as Hispanic as a black Dominican-American will be as well as examples.

Hispanic can be any race per the methodology. So a Cuban-American who is black marrying an African American would be counted as an intermarried couple (Hispanic/Black) even though they are technically the same race.

Also of note, Asians include Pacific Islanders.

Old 06-01-2023, 11:07 AM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
I think his point is white Hispanic - non-Hispanic white couples aren't really considered intermarried for the purpose of this thread.

Old 06-01-2023, 11:16 AM

^^ According to the methodology of the stats posted, they are considered intermarried as would be a black Hispanic marrying non Hispanic black.

Or are you saying that it would be hard to distinguish who is intermarried based strictly on looks for the purposes of this specific thread? If so, that is totally understandable.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^ According to the methodology of the stats posted, they are considered intermarried as would be a black Hispanic marrying non Hispanic black.

Or are you saying that it would be hard to distinguish who is intermarried based strictly on looks for the purposes of this specific thread? If so, that is totally understandable.
I think the latter is more my point. Plenty of white Hispanics are out there and most of the time (in my experience) they present white and I think that has more bearing than ethnicity than heritage, particularly in the US.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:45 PM

Makes sense, it also gets tricky with Middle Easterners who also come in different shades of color but will present white. Here in my area where Iraqi immigrants and their kids are a large part of the population along with Whites and Mexican Americans, it's usually pretty easy to tell the difference between your typical white American and a fair skin Iraqi based on their look and dress.

For the purposes of census, they are considered White but most people around do not actually consider them this (in the American sense of being White) as some have brown skin and the culture is completely different.

At least Hispanics have their own census designation whereas Middle Easterners do not. So a White marrying a Middle Eastern person which is happening more and more in my area as the children of Iraqi refugees age and assimilate, this is not considered an intermarriage per this study regardless of skin tones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.