Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 03:58 PM

21 posts, read 22,690 times

Advertisements

Obviously in historical context it makes sense regarding the seperation of the "north vs. the south". However, in MODERN times, as a resident of Piedmont North Carolina (and not a metro area) I've traveled around the country and it feels like our state (NC) is the true cusp of the North, Mid-Atlantic, and the South.

When you go anywhere south of Dunn, NC (in the middle) - Hendersonville, NC (in the west) - and New Burn, NC (in the east) there is absolutely no influence of the Northern States left, and there is little influence of the Mid-Atlantic states left as well.

I would also say that it is hard to pin-point exactly where but the NC-VA-MD-DE area as a whole is where the lines get very fuzzy.

From my view I would agree that SC is where Southern influence still exists as the dominant culture. North and South GA are still dominated by it while the ATL metro area is a cultural mixing pot and expanding rapidly. AL is the Deep South. FL is the Deep South (Except the Orlando line where anywhere South of that starts mixing into Cuban and Northern influences from transplants). MS, LA, AR, and TN are still all 100% Southern. TX is just Texas (although Eastern Texas is fully Southern influenced), and OK is mostly just the mid-west.

Last edited by Flux96; 06-13-2023 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 04:12 PM

543 posts, read 559,041 times
Michigan and Alaska are southern?

When did that happen?

Old 06-13-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post

When did that happen?

My fault. I guess I didn't abbreviate it in my original post correctly. I'd like to draw this map for everyone here.

Old 06-13-2023, 04:15 PM

28 posts, read 16,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post

When did that happen?
I’m assuming they mean Mississippi and Arkansas

Old 06-13-2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol idk View Post
I’m assuming they mean Mississippi and Arkansas

Yeah that was an accident, I'm running on like 10% battery right now. Sorry.

Old 06-13-2023, 04:20 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Honestly I think it's Nova but some would even argue that NC isn't really southern anymore..

Old 06-13-2023, 04:27 PM

1,204 posts, read 796,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux96 View Post
Obviously in historical context it makes sense regarding the seperation of the "north vs. the south". However, in MODERN times, as a resident of Piedmont North Carolina (and not a metro area) I've traveled around the country and it feels like our state (NC) is the true cusp of the North, Mid-Atlantic, and the South.

When you go anywhere south of Dunn, NC (in the middle) - Hendersonville, NC (in the west) - and New Burn, NC (in the east) there is absolutely no influence of the Northern States left, and there is little influence of the Mid-Atlantic states left as well.

I would also say that it is hard to pin-point exactly where but the NC-VA-MD-DE area as a whole is where the lines get very fuzzy.

From my view I would agree that SC is where Southern influence still exists as the dominant culture. North and South GA are still dominated by it while the ATL metro area is a cultural mixing pot and expanding rapidly. AL is the Deep South. FL is the Deep South (Except the Orlando line where anywhere South of that starts mixing into Cuban and Northern influences from transplants). MS, LA, AR, and TN are still all 100% Southern. TX is just Texas (although Eastern Texas is fully Southern influenced), and OK is mostly just the mid-west.
Disagree somewhat - VA Southside which is between Richmond and Raleigh/Durham is already VERY southern. Raleigh/Durham itself may not be deep south but definitely still southern.

The line in VA is usually Rappahannock River AFAIK...you can go as far south as James River (Richmond) or even further south to Appomattox River (around Petersburg VA) - but anywhere south of that you just don't have any northern or even Mid-Atlantic influence left.

Old 06-13-2023, 04:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Honestly I think it's Nova but some would even argue that NC isn't really southern anymore..
It is more nuanced than just geography. IMO, essentially the fast growing metros in the Southeast are feeling more and more disconnected from traditional Southern culture as time passes. This is especially true for those metros that have seen many decades of huge influx from metros outside of the South. The Piedmont of NC, and specifically the greater Raleigh, Durham and Charlotte areas fit that bill.

Old 06-13-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

Nova was the original cutoff, but within the last decade it's been pushed more south. My point is that there isn't a real hard line between the North and the South. It's a gradient that slowly transitions into areas that are 100% Southern culture, or Southern culture is still the dominant influence.

NC right now is the true "cusp" state where all 3 of these cultures (North, Mid-Atlantic, and South) ALL meet (the split) and then whether you go north, west, or south is when these cultures have single dominance.

Old 06-13-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Disagree somewhat - VA Southside which is between Richmond and Raleigh/Durham is already VERY southern. Raleigh/Durham itself may not be deep south but definitely still southern.

The line in VA is usually Rappahannock River AFAIK...you can go as far south as James River (Richmond) or even further south to Appomattox River (around Petersburg VA) - but anywhere south of that you just don't have any northern or even Mid-Atlantic influence left.

Eh, I disagree with this too. I don't think it's a hard cutoff like that at all. The NC area basically acts like the new Mason-Dixon line in a way. It's like all of these cultures intersect and then as you travel further north, south, or west is where the influences from each of them start to become less noticeable as one culture takes the dominant force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.