Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best (or favorite) large Midwestern city/metro area?
Detroit 5 7.35%
Cleveland 11 16.18%
Chicago 36 52.94%
St. Louis 6 8.82%
Minneapolis/St. Paul 10 14.71%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
While I like the guy, he's one of those southwestern desert rats who doesnt like anything east of the west Texas border, which is strangely typical of that region's inhabitants.
Oh well, his loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
There's really no point in having Chicago on the poll. It's so large it wins the poll every time.
That's true, but I'd like to reiterate the fact that Chicago holds its own in discussions against New York or Los Angeles so even if it were country wide... Maybe we care more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 12:17 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
While I like the guy, he's one of those southwestern desert rats who doesnt like anything east of the west Texas border, which is strangely typical of that region's inhabitants.

Hey, while I like you too Steve-O you are right,I am a desert rat and I dont like anything east of the West Texas border,except the South is alright, but you are right, it is very typical of the area.

If I had to choose I would say Louisville,KY,never been there but for some reason it appeals to me.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 AM

418 posts, read 1,280,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
By large, I mean easily having over 2 million people within 45 minutes away and having at least 3 major sports teams (sorry Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Kansas City).
Your opinions?
Kansas City was just under 2 mil in the metro area in 2006, i'm sure it's up now (more people are moving here with the economy, it's cheaper to live here, decent job market, and universities in the metro area are cheaper)

And 3 major sports teams..... Chiefs, Royals, Wizards... or Major League Soccer not considered a real sport in the US?

EDIT: That said, Chicago WINS.... followed by Minneapolis, KANSAS CITY ... i'd put crappy St. Louis last but even it's not as bad as the hell hole known as Detroit

Old 06-03-2008, 09:28 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Hey, while I like you too Steve-O you are right,I am a desert rat and I dont like anything east of the West Texas border,except the South is alright, but you are right, it is very typical of the area.

If I had to choose I would say Louisville,KY,never been there but for some reason it appeals to me.

You all need to expand your horizons, life's too short to be confined to one little area of the country.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:36 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
And 3 major sports teams..... Chiefs, Royals, Wizards... or Major League Soccer not considered a real sport in the US? (Skrazzles quote).

MLS is cool, but it is not considered a real sport because of longevity, or the lack of. However, soccer still has a strong presence in the US, at least as far as participation.
Let's not get off topic though.

Last edited by beenhereandthere; 06-03-2008 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 06-03-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Oh my god.... does everyone remember the father and son that attacked the umpire at the Sox game like, 10 years ago????

Take Chicago off the poll... I'd say Minneapolis, St. Louis, and Milwaukee are all great cities as well
More like 2001 or 2002.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:53 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
More like 2001 or 2002.
BASEBALL; 2 Fans Attack Royals Coach at Game in Chicago - New York Times

Old 06-03-2008, 08:13 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
Kansas City was just under 2 mil in the metro area in 2006, i'm sure it's up now (more people are moving here with the economy, it's cheaper to live here, decent job market, and universities in the metro area are cheaper)

And 3 major sports teams..... Chiefs, Royals, Wizards... or Major League Soccer not considered a real sport in the US?

EDIT: That said, Chicago WINS.... followed by Minneapolis, KANSAS CITY ... i'd put crappy St. Louis last but even it's not as bad as the hell hole known as Detroit
I don't think they were counting MLS. It doesn't seem to have as big of a pull.

And personally, I love St. Louis. Kansas City is alright, I guess. My cousin lived there, but I've never been there. I try not to insult any city unless I know it well enough to do so. Calling a city "crappy" or a "hellhole" makes one seem pretty immature, unless you have lived in or spent a credible amount of time in St. Louis and Detroit. Both have decay, but both also have wonderful architecture, nice people, and character.

Kansas City is just under 2 mil people and only really has 2 major sports, though they're courting hockey. No offense to MLS, but it's generally not considered one of the big 4: NHL, MLB, NFL, or NBA.

And "crappy" St. Louis is courting an MLS team also, though for the Illinois side of the river. And it has MLB, NHL, and NFL.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
WHY WOULD YOU EXCLUDE INDIANAPOLIS? we have more than 2million people within 45 minutes plus we have 3 major teams THE COLTS,PACERS,INDIANA FIREBIRDS

Old 06-04-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
WHY WOULD YOU EXCLUDE INDIANAPOLIS? we have more than 2million people within 45 minutes plus we have 3 major teams THE COLTS,PACERS,INDIANA FIREBIRDS
Well, just barely above 2 million, I suppose....
The Indianapolis metropolitan area has seen modest and steady growth among U.S. cities.[3], with growth centered in the surrounding counties of Hamilton, Hendricks, and Johnson. Hamilton and Hendricks Counties are currently the fastest growing counties in Indiana and in the Midwest, although the state as a whole is only showing modest growth.[4] Currently, the Combined Statistical Area stands at 1,984,644, making it the 23rd largest CSA in the U.S. (2006 est)

Even if so, the Firebirds (is that Arena Football) aren't in the 4 major pro sports leagues in North America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.