Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 12,549 times

Advertisements

Just a note to thank you so much for the step by step process of how this is done. My wife is in the same as you were regarding citizenship as her mother was born in Mexico. Once she gets her citizenship do you know if I as her husband can spouse also gain residency or citizenship. What about our children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 04:42 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,275,674 times
Swissjoe2000,

I am afraid not unless you reside in Mexico for three years, that is to attain Mexican citizenship for yourself. This is what I was told in regards to my wife.

Our kids, however, can get Mexican citizenship because I am now a Mexican citizen.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 24,638 times
I looked all over the internet for help on how to get dual citizenship having Mexican parents, and truly your blog thing was the best I found! Thanks so much for all your help. I'm gonna give it a try now. I am currently living in Mexico, and am planning to fly to the US to get all this done. Did you ever get your Mexican Passport? If so how long does it take? Do you think I can get all this done in a week if I have all the paper work ready?

Also, you said I as an american need to take to the consulate a state certified copy of my US birth certificate which will be filed in Mexico, how do I get that, It's not just a copy of my birth certificate, so do I need to go get another birth certificate, or is it diffirent?

~Thanks.

Lina
www.puregospeltruth.com

Old 01-08-2009, 09:50 PM

Default Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Creation View Post
I looked all over the internet for help on how to get dual citizenship having Mexican parents, and truly your blog thing was the best I found! Thanks so much for all your help. I'm gonna give it a try now. I am currently living in Mexico, and am planning to fly to the US to get all this done. Did you ever get your Mexican Passport? If so how long does it take? Do you think I can get all this done in a week if I have all the paper work ready?

Also, you said I as an american need to take to the consulate a state certified copy of my US birth certificate which will be filed in Mexico, how do I get that, It's not just a copy of my birth certificate, so do I need to go get another birth certificate, or is it diffirent?

~Thanks.

Lina
www.puregospeltruth.com
New Creation,

Yes, you should be able to do it in one week, but if you are currently staying in Mexico, heck, why not get it done there? If you have all the documents, just go to the Civil Office where you live and get it done there. There will probably be less crowds as well. However, if you came to the US, and had all your documents, there is no reason you could not get it done in one week.

After going through the process, I actually think if you had all the documents in order, and if the office has all their printers working, and required authority in the office, you could technically do all of this in one day. The Consulate issues the passport the same day, so you don't have to wait. If you do it in the country of Mexico, you might have to wait for the passport.

And yes, I did get a Mexican Passport also. If I really needed it is a debate, I technically was not required to get one, however, Mexico does want me to use my Mexican passport when I enter the country, else I'd enter as a tourist on my US passport. Of course, the US wants to see my US passport when I enter, so I have to carry both when I travel to Mexico. Or, I could simply not use my Mexican passport. If you just wanted proof that you are(will be) a Mexican citizen, you might also get away with just a state issued ID card from Mexico, much as you would get from let's say, Texas.

I'm sure someone else can chime in on the requirements of entering/leaving if one has dual citizenship.

I hope all goes well, don't hesitate to DM me if you have any questions, or you can resurrect this thread again.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 01-08-2009 at 10:03 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 AM

232 posts, read 736,368 times
I've been looking into this for years but regarding Canada and here's what I found out: unless you have an immediate blood family member currently living in Canada, or unless you're a billionaire, or a neurosurgeon, forget it. Canada wants to remain the size it is and the chances of becoming a legal US-Canada citizen are as likely as getting citizenship in Australia.

Sucks doesn't it. Our grandparents could come here from wherever and be voyageurs and explore westward. Now we are stuck in the US with plenty of laws and restrictions to prevent us from living anywhere else.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:39 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,958,039 times
What about BELIZE? Anyone know what the requirements are there.. they are the only English Speaking ( Offical Language ) country Down that way.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 24,638 times
HookTheBrotherUp,

I went to see if I could get it done here in Guadalajara, and they said one of my parents had to be here with me, they are in the US. I am going to the US in a few weeks and plan on doing it there.

I have a question hope you can help.
My mom can't find her marriage cert., but she has a copy of it, do you think that will work, or do they ask for the original?

I am trying to get a hold of the Registro Civil in Guerrero, to see if they can get one, but they are about a 2 day drive from were I am staying!

~Lina

Old 01-28-2009, 11:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
I haven't read through this entire thread, but I have to wonder what purpose Mexican citizenship would serve when Americans can so easily enter, travel through, and in most cases even settle in Mexico with very little hassle.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Creation View Post
HookTheBrotherUp,

I went to see if I could get it done here in Guadalajara, and they said one of my parents had to be here with me, they are in the US. I am going to the US in a few weeks and plan on doing it there.

I have a question hope you can help.
My mom can't find her marriage cert., but she has a copy of it, do you think that will work, or do they ask for the original?

I am trying to get a hold of the Registro Civil in Guerrero, to see if they can get one, but they are about a 2 day drive from were I am staying!

~Lina
NC, wow, I apologize for not checking, I have not came back here since I last posted, if you've a need in the future, you can PM me so you don't have to wait so long!

So how did it go? I'm really sorry I did not see this earlier.

The answer to your question is yes, if it is a state certified copy from Mexico, it will work. Technically your mother does not have to go with you, but it speeds up the process if she is there as they don't have to go through their archives.

As I've stated in my case, if she's a US naturalized citizen, and it happened prior to 1986, then she needs to bring a certified copy of her naturalization papers too. If she's divorced, or widowed, she needs those documents too.

In my case, my mother is widowed, so in hindsight, it would have been easier just to leave my father off of the document/application. But thanks to my mom, she had made several certified copies of his death certificate for business reasons, but had a few that she did not use.

Keep us updated!

Old 02-17-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I haven't read through this entire thread, but I have to wonder what purpose Mexican citizenship would serve when Americans can so easily enter, travel through, and in most cases even settle in Mexico with very little hassle.
Without sounding sarcastic, one answer is 'because we can'. Ironically, it is not as easy to settle in Mexico without any hassle. I won't get into the "hassles" except to say there are some, and unless you are near the border, it could get expensive having to come back so often to meet requirements.

Also, unlike the US, Mexico actually enforces their immigration laws! How ironic is that?!

I am proud of my Mexican heritage, that is another important reason reason to me, but I will be honest, my initial motiviation was to purchase property on the beach. I went in November to have a look, and will be going back in March again. Given today's economic mess, I think Mexico is going to look a lot more attractive to many. 'Not to get off topic too much, but you have not seen anything yet as far as the economic mess in the US, it is going to get worse after March/April I think.

Mexico is, and will continue to be a bargain for people wanting to live a higher quality of life than they can in the US with the same income. I'm not near retirement, but am planning for it, and owning property on the Pacific is part of my plan. Yes, people can purchase property on the beach via a trust, but then they have to get legal status to live in Mexico, and not having to renew their visas so often. Pluse, they never actually own the property, the bank handling the trust does.

Last I checked, the Universal Health coverage in Mexico cost about $250/year. Probably nothing like the US, but for that price, one could get lots of cheap drugs that cost an arm and a leg in the US. The cost on one prescription I have alone here in the US for one month would cover the yearly cost in Mexico.

A person earning X amount of retirement benefits in the US can survive, but the quality will not be as good as it can in Mexico for the same amount of dollars. I don't have examples to give as I'm not yet retired, but from what I've read, you could live paycheck to paycheck in the US, or live a much higher quality of life in Mexico and have money left over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico