Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 03:57 PM

23 posts, read 58,844 times

Advertisements

hey, folks!

im just curious.. what do you guys mean is USA's most interesting city, in the way of national monuments, things to see/experience etc?

now, im not from this country, im from norway. however, i have been to america once before, about one year ago.. Among the places i visited, was San Francisco. I lived there for one week. I mean, this seriously has to be the most interesting city in the USA!! it has, alcatraz, the golden gate, that pyramid building and the viewtower on that hill + the crookiest street in the world, and of course, all those ups and donwhills that characterize the city of San Francisco!!

I cant think of any city that has this much to offer in the USA, except for, of course, New York.. with The Statue of Liberty, Empire State, Ground Zero, and just the fact that its said to be the capital of the world!! all those tall buildings..

Are there any other cities in the US that have this much to offer?

and please, do forgive my bad english.. as said, im not from around here thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 04:09 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever View Post
hey, folks!

im just curious.. what do you guys mean is USA's most interesting city, in the way of national monuments, things to see/experience etc?

now, im not from this country, im from norway. however, i have been to america once before, about one year ago.. Among the places i visited, was San Francisco. I lived there for one week. I mean, this seriously has to be the most interesting city in the USA!! it has, alcatraz, the golden gate, that pyramid building and the viewtower on that hill + the crookiest street in the world, and of course, all those ups and donwhills that characterize the city of San Francisco!!

I cant think of any city that has this much to offer in the USA, except for, of course, New York.. with The Statue of Liberty, Empire State, Ground Zero, and just the fact that its said to be the capital of the world!! all those tall buildings..

and please, do forgive my bad english.. as said, im not from around here thanks in advance!
Your English is very good!

Washington is also a wonderful city with a lot of things to do. And unlike most cities, most of the monuments and museums in Washington don't cost money.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:11 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Aside from the 2 you mentioned,
I highly recommend Chicago as a place you'd enjoy spending time in. The culture and amenities are similar to the others, but Chicago, like NY and SF, puts its own spin on food, art, culture etc.

That said,
there are plenty of places you could visit and find very different experiences, Southern California, for example, is a magnet to the world and for good reason. Los Angeles is a megalopolis with 18 Million people spread out over a vast coastal plain and several large inland valleys. The food is awesome, the nightlife is uniquely LA, the amenities are countless.

Also,
Washington DC, Miami, New Orleans, Honolulu, Las Vegas, Orlando and Philadelphia I think would be great places to experience different slices of what America is all about.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:13 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever View Post
hey, folks!

but to answer you original question, I'll have to agree with you on SF.

But then Im totally biased and partial towards SF since I live here.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:35 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
I think New Orleans is truly a one of a kind city and very interesting to visit. The architecture is amazing and reminds me of the beautiful buildings of SF except with more variety of styles that were influenced by the french, spanish, and Americans. It's a very compact and walkable city and everything seems to be on a human scale. The culture is just so interesting and unique and is unlike anywhere else in the US. The only place I can think of with a more distinct history and culture is Hawaii. The whole cajun and creole culture is one of a kind and can't be replicated. The music and food are amazing and unique to the region, some of the best meals I have ever had occurred while visiting NOLA. And the people have to be some of the nicest and most hospitable people I have ever met in my life; so down to earth too. They have such a great spirit and attitude considering all of the negative crap they have to put up, including the constant negative attention the media gives and the consequent BS they have to hear from people who have never been there.

And don't even get me started on how fun and amazing their Mardi Gras celebration is. If you want to have the best time of your life going to New Orleans during Mardi Gras, especially the weekend leading up to Fat Tuesday.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Love New Orleans -- but you would also have to go to another country - Texas. It is unique in the world. Most natives never even get to see it all but there are four major cities: Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:54 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,345 times
Cities with the most uniquely recognizable identities would have to be, as I see it:

New York City -- world capital, enough said
San Francisco -- world's most spectacular setting
Washington D.C. -- world's political center
Las Vegas -- world's playground
New Orleans -- mardi gras, jazz, good food
Chicago -- supertall skyscrapers
Los Angeles -- world's entertainment capital
Boston -- a historical center
Miami -- south beach
Philadelphia -- liberty bell, philly cheesesteaks
Orlando -- world's theme park capital
San Diego -- world's best weather, surf culture
Salt Lake City -- Mormon central
Denver -- spectacular mountain setting
Seattle -- space needle, mr. raineer as backdrop, green, rainy!!
Nashville -- country capital of the world... or is it memphis?
Minnesnowpolis -- cold, unsafe bridges, mall of america

Hope this helps!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:29 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think New Orleans is truly a one of a kind city and very interesting to visit. The architecture is amazing and reminds me of the beautiful buildings of SF except with more variety of styles that were influenced by the french, spanish, and Americans. It's a very compact and walkable city and everything seems to be on a human scale. The culture is just so interesting and unique and is unlike anywhere else in the US. The only place I can think of with a more distinct history and culture is Hawaii. The whole cajun and creole culture is one of a kind and can't be replicated. The music and food are amazing and unique to the region, some of the best meals I have ever had occurred while visiting NOLA. And the people have to be some of the nicest and most hospitable people I have ever met in my life; so down to earth too. They have such a great spirit and attitude considering all of the negative crap they have to put up, including the constant negative attention the media gives and the consequent BS they have to hear from people who have never been there.

And don't even get me started on how fun and amazing their Mardi Gras celebration is. If you want to have the best time of your life going to New Orleans during Mardi Gras, especially the weekend leading up to Fat Tuesday.
don't forget jazzfest. arguably the greatest music festival in the world. something every music lover should attend for at least a day. and don't sleep on the food

Last edited by john_starks; 05-05-2008 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-05-2008, 06:02 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Just come on to America. We've got lots of interesting cities to come and see. It's so incredible. You will love it.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:09 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,178 times
I'd say Chicago or Washinton D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.