Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:57 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,694 times

Advertisements

Austin, TX has great BBQ, along with KC. Haven't had any Memphis BBQ but would love to try it. The Salt Lick here (well about 20 miles outside of town) has amazing BBQ! Can't beat a plate of beef brisket, ribs, or smoked sausage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 01:22 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Memphis style is also excellent. I've noted it is a bit more watery, tangy and vinegary than KC style. It's my second favorite.
Actually, Memphis is famous for its dry rub bbq--no sauce--particularly at The Rendezvous in downtown Memphis.

As for the sauce they do use when they use sauce, Memphis is known for a sweet, slightly peppery sauce, not a vinegar-based sauce. Places like Germantown Commissary, The BBQ Place, Corky's and Interstate BBQ are great examples of this. Even the Memphis airport has a fantastic BBQ joint in the Northwest Airlines terminal that I swear can be smelled from 10,000 feet in the air.

Memphis is also famous for its bbq pizza, bbq spaghetti and bbq nachos.

In addition, in Memphis it's fashionable to put cole slaw (mayonnaise-based, not vinegar-based) on your bbq sandwich.

http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/bbq/archives/jacks%20bbq.jpg (broken link)

http://i.timeinc.net/recipes/i/recipes/ck/bbq-sauce-ck-1634714-l.jpg (broken link)

Good grief I'm hungry now. And I'm 400 miles from Memphis. grrrrrrrr

Oh, and those pics were taken from Google Images.

Last edited by JMT; 06-26-2008 at 01:31 PM..

Old 06-26-2008, 01:35 PM

845 posts, read 2,743,774 times
Those pictures look delicious! Im moving back to the south asap!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:38 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
i went on vacation through TN last year and enjoyed every minute of the eating - even had some good bbq in nashville

memphis was really good - i like tangy vinegar based sauce so i also like carolina style - my wife is a big KC bbq fan and I like it as well

TX is hit or miss for me - i'm not a big fan of mesquite and feel there are better smoke woods out there - some of the sauces and meat i've had in TX are phenomenal - some are just like chewing on a mesquite branch (although my bbq experience in the state is limited to dallas & austin with business travel - never vacation)

i also love to just make my own - bought a bullet style smoker last summer and couldn't be happier - going to do a brisket this weekend in fact

Old 06-26-2008, 01:52 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
No GA style BBQ? The Wikipedia site says that GA has a mix of different styles. In GA I never had slaw on my sandwich but when I went to NC they put it on there (I didn't ask for it) and it was different. Did y'all know that Brunswick stew was invented in GA?

Old 06-26-2008, 01:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
There used to be a place in Nashville called BarB-Cutie that was really good. Sticky Fingers in Chattanooga is good. Corkies in Memphis is very good and better than the Corkies in Lexington and Biloxi. Billy's in Lexington has first rate pulled pork AND fresh cut fries.

Patio and Billy Boys on the South Side of Chicago. Mamie's in Joliet.

I've had terriffic BBQ at little hole in the wall joints in North Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas and down into Texas. Texas BBQ is weird but good---beef. Had some really good stuff at a joint in Lampasas but got sick at a place in Kerrville.

Went to Kansas City and had some really vile stuff at a place touted on a KC BBQ enthusiast website, forgot the name of the joint.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
No GA style BBQ? The Wikipedia site says that GA has a mix of different styles. In GA I never had slaw on my sandwich but when I went to NC they put it on there (I didn't ask for it) and it was different. Did y'all know that Brunswick stew was invented in GA?
I loooooove Brunswick stew!!!!!! It's really my one complaint about Tennessee bbq, we don't have Brunswick stew except at the chain Sonny's BBQ which was actually started in Gainesville FL (the chain, not the stew).

In Atlanta I used to go to a place in Dunwoody that had amazing Brunswick stew, I think it was called Old Hickory Hut or something like that.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:20 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
Seven or eight years ago I we stopped in Shelbyville,TN and stopped at some BBQ joint (some remolded firehouse, I think) and I had the best pork BBQ sandwich, EVER. The BBQ pork pizza was some good stuff, too. I'm not really the BBQ connoiseur but I know that the non chains have the best stuff.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:37 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
All I see in those pictures is hardened arteries, triple bypass surgery, obesity epidemic.....

Old 06-26-2008, 02:45 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
All I see in those pictures is hardened arteries, triple bypass surgery, obesity epidemic.....
So what are you, a vegetarian tough guy?

Everybody dies, right tough guy? Buck up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.