Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Cross country moving: affordable, looking for a job, mountain bike trails, real estate, downtown.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:45 PM

7 posts, read 33,063 times

Advertisements

Okay so this is my first time posting on this forum, but I've used it before to check out everybody's opinions. In December I'll be graduating from Kansas State and I'm definately moving right away. My mind's on the west coast and I'm gonna be looking for a job out there. Pretty much my mind is open to all things. To pursue the lifestyle I want, I want to be somewhere affordable (which leads me away from a lot of Cali, which I love), progressive, young, and I want a place with plenty of outdoor recreation (mountains, water, trails, FRISBEE!). Also, though I'm not closed minded about small towns (obviously as I'm from central Kansas), I'm looking for a step up to a CITY city with plenty of big companies to check out. As you guys throw out suggestions I'd really appreciate you name dropping some businesses in the areas too. Just a few places that I've got my eye on right now are Phoenix, Portland, and Seattle though I still don't know much about them. I'd appreciate any help you can give! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 01:48 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,215 times
Have you thought about Denver? Obviously, it's not on the west coast but it meets most of your other criteria.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:34 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy333 View Post
Just a few places that I've got my eye on right now are Phoenix, Portland, and Seattle
All good choices. Obviously, you will need to consider what climate might be most suitable to you since Portland/Seattle is quite different weather-wise from Phoenix. Also, while California is expensive, I'm not sure that you would find Seattle to be a whole lot cheaper. Things have gotten pretty pricy up there in the Emerald City.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:37 PM

139 posts, read 451,027 times
Take a look at Austin - no mountains, but hills...hence the nickname "Silicon Hills." Tons of water activities on the numerous lakes and rivers around town, great mountain biking trails, year-round outdoor recreation because of the mild winters, etc...

Some of the major corporate employers include Dell, IBM, AMD, Applied Materials, University of Texas, State of Texas, and Whole Foods.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:23 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
Denver, Seattle, and Portland would all be fine bets.

Austin could work too, but it's not in the west, really.

Phoenix could be okay, but you'd have to be sure to pick a vibrant area. Tempe would be good. Some other areas are duds.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 PM

147 posts, read 376,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy333 View Post
Okay so this is my first time posting on this forum, but I've used it before to check out everybody's opinions. In December I'll be graduating from Kansas State and I'm definately moving right away. My mind's on the west coast and I'm gonna be looking for a job out there. Pretty much my mind is open to all things. To pursue the lifestyle I want, I want to be somewhere affordable (which leads me away from a lot of Cali, which I love), progressive, young, and I want a place with plenty of outdoor recreation (mountains, water, trails, FRISBEE!). Also, though I'm not closed minded about small towns (obviously as I'm from central Kansas), I'm looking for a step up to a CITY city with plenty of big companies to check out. As you guys throw out suggestions I'd really appreciate you name dropping some businesses in the areas too. Just a few places that I've got my eye on right now are Phoenix, Portland, and Seattle though I still don't know much about them. I'd appreciate any help you can give! Thanks!
Well congratulations on making it through school! I hope that you find that those years of hardwork and study pay off in the long run. Since you mentioned Phoenix, I thought I would go ahead and put in a good word for Scottsdale, which is right next door. We are a very young city with lots of young families, and an educated and attractive workforce, that make up our city that has been named #1 in the nation mutiple times. Not only for the younger crowd, but for the mid level professional, all the way up to the retired. As you may already know, we have excellent, first rate dining options, nightlife and entertaiment venues galore, exlcusive shopping, very low crime, and a great quality of life ranking that sets us part from many cities of the same size and attract a hip and modern younger crowd into our area every evening. Old Town Scottsdale is really turning into a great place to not only hang out for a day, but is offering more housing opportunities as well. There are lots of outdoor activites to be found within the city, and all around it to be sure. Since it is a big place I could elaborate more if you are interested and could send you more info. I would be more than happy to answer any specific questions that you may have. Both the Scottsdale website, and it's CVB website are amazing tools that can give you lots of insight into Scottsdale as well.

In regards to finding an affordable location, Scottsdale may not by the best place to start looking, but that doesn't mean that you have to live in it to take advantage of all that it offers. Phoenix is a very popular choice, and like I mentioned before, borders much of Scottsdale, as well as many other cities.

Almost anything in S. Cali is going to have considerable price margin compared to what I am sure you are used to in Kansas. As a Pasadena native, I can ensure you that it can be done, but it may be a struggle for some time. This is very true for LA and San Diego proper. Both of which have real estate that is through the roof to say the least. San Fran is much the same, if not more these days! I can't comment on Seattle or Portland, but the word that I hear is that Seattle is not the place that people tend to move to for a bargin in the general sense. Portland has strict zoning laws, so I would imagine prices in that city would be much more than anything in Kansas. All awesome places, but not for someone on a very tight budget. Best of luck and let me know if I can help!!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:05 AM

8 posts, read 54,881 times
I know you have got your mind set on the west coast... but don't discount North Carolina! We have plenty of what you are looking for out here! Because of the great colleges and universities (UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, NCSU) there are tons of young people and jobs for college graduates! The Research Triangle Park has just about everything you need on the job front. In addition, the Blue Ridge Parkway in the mountains of NC is just gorgeous. We have a ton of greenways, bike trails and parks. In addition, the area is just about an hour and a half from the most beautiful, untouched sandy beaches of the outerbanks, and about 3 hours away from the uninhabited Cherokee National Forest in the western part of the state. There you can hike parts of the Appalachian Trail, ski, and even whitewater raft. I really think that you would like the Raleigh/Chapel Hill area. It may be just what you are looking for!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:14 AM

8 posts, read 54,881 times
I forgot to name some businesses... Cisco, Red Hat, Lenovo, Progress Energy, Siemens, First Citizens Bank, RBC Centura, Nortel Networks, Eaton Corporation, IBM, and Alcatel-Lucent just to name a few.

Raleigh is the 15th fastest growing city in the country. It's a perfect time for you to invest in some Real Estate near downtown. It will undoubtedly increase in value and you will get much more for your money than you would in California or somewhere along the west coast!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:23 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona sunset View Post
I thought I would go ahead and put in a good word for Scottsdale, which is right next door. We are a very young city with lots of young families, and an educated and attractive workforce, that make up our city that has been named #1 in the nation mutiple times. Not only for the younger crowd, but for the mid level professional, all the way up to the retired. As you may already know, we have excellent, first rate dining options, nightlife and entertaiment venues galore, exlcusive shopping, very low crime, and a great quality of life ranking that sets us part from many cities of the same size and attract a hip and modern younger crowd into our area every evening. Old Town Scottsdale is really turning into a great place to not only hang out for a day, but is offering more housing opportunities as well
Old Town? Its for tourists, basically. There are some clubs/restaurants in the area and some new housing, but its too expensive. Minus the art galleries, Old Town is basically t-shirt shops, Indian jewelry stores, knick-knack joints, etc, not exactly a hip place for a young graduate. The OP would be FAR better looking at Tempe.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:57 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,006 times
Based on your criteria:
1. Portland (you think you're "progressive" but you will probably be a right-winger compared to PDXers)
2. Seattle (pretty much California pricey and more yuppies than PDX)
... (big gap)
3. Denver
4. Phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.