Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city would be last on your list and why?
Portland,OR 7 4.46%
Salt Lake City,UT 19 12.10%
Albuquerque,NM 7 4.46%
Boise,ID 18 11.46%
Phoenix,AZ 37 23.57%
Oklahoma City,OK 35 22.29%
Omaha,NE 22 14.01%
San Antonio,TX 12 7.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:09 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times

Advertisements

which of these cities would be last on your list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:53 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,149,121 times
OKC, tornadoes and general lack of appeal. The city is pretty large and does not seem to have that much to offer for it's size.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:58 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,603 times
I chose Portland because I like land-locked terrain cities.

Boise, Albuquerque, and OKC would be first picks for me. I think those cities would be awesome to live in. Omaha would be nice too but it's very similar to Des Moines, not to mention only 2 hours away.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:27 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Man, this poll actually made me have to think for awhile. I went with Portland ONLY because of the rain/drizzle issue. I have no problem with rain, but being subjected to months of it would drive me nuts. After that, Id have to rate them (in order) as follows:

Which city I would least like to live in (from worst to best)...

1. Portland (for reasons above)
2. Omaha -- Too isolated.
3. OKC -- not enough to do, too tornado-ey. lol
4. Phoenix -- too dang dry, too dang hot for too dang long. Some nice burbs, but the city itself is a joke, IMO.
5. ABQ -- too blah. Would love Santa Fe, but not ABQ.
6. Boise -- affordable and nice looking, but too isolated.
7. SLC -- wouldnt mind living there, but the Mormon thing is a setback, IMO.
8. San Antonio -- my fave on the list.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:47 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times
Omaha -- too flat, too far from the mountains, too cold in winter, and too small town.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:50 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
OKC and Boise - the 2 least-urban major cities in the country.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:12 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
OKC and Boise - the 2 least-urban major cities in the country.
Ditto for Albuquerque.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:43 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
Portland - gloom and doom 9 months of the year? No thanks. The high crime rate doesn't work for me either.

Next would be Oklahoma City...how boring.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:03 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
I chose Phoenix,even if I was offered a great job and great pay I would still pass on this city.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:27 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
I'll do what Steve-O did, and rank this list from worst to best (IMO). Of the eight cities on your list, the only one I have ANY interest in living in is Albuquerque (and... well, I guess I have to list Phoenix, since I'm living there right now):

Oklahoma City-- Last on my list. Nothing against Oklahoma and their capital city; I actually know a bunch of people from Oklahoma, and they're actually a pretty friendly, easy to get along with bunch. Just that the idea of living in a completely flat, barren landscape with F-5 tornadoes is not very appealing. It's also a very southern-esque culture, nothing against that, just not really my style personally. University of Oklahoma in Norman, nearby, is a pretty good school though-- I know a lot of OU alumni.

San Antonio-- Second last. I've heard some good things about it, but I would never want to live in a place that hot and humid. Bugs totally freak me out, and from the sounds of it, Texas is bug-central. However, San Antonio is on my list of places to visit-- it seems like a really neat town with a great mix of cultures. Hill Country could be worth seeing, at least to find out if it meets the hype (as Texans talk about it).

Salt Lake City-- Third last. Absolutely gorgeous mountain views all around, easy access to skiing. However, some of the worst air pollution in the country, low wages. However, since I'm not Mormon, I would never live in Utah-- I love visiting the state, but I could never live there, or I'd feel like an outsider. Don't make any mistake about it, Salt Lake City may be a big city, but it is EXTREMELY Mormon there. I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, but it's the truth. I'd rather visit once in awhile than live there.

Omaha-- A pretty decent small to medium sized city, actually. Only complaint is it's in the middle of corn fields!

Portland-- Another place I'd like to visit. I don't think I would like the endless dreary days, and the Pacific NW culture is not for me either.

Boise-- I'd like to see Boise some day; never been to Idaho. It's probably not culturally and religiously diverse enough for my tastes, though.

Phoenix-- hotter than hell! I've been living here the last 4 years, and I am just plain tired and bored of this place. Time to move on!

Albuquerque-- the best of the southwest! Great climate, great scenery, great culture, growing economy, pretty affordable-- what's there to complain about? Albuquerque is on my list of places I would consider relocating someday. If I were you, desert sun, I'd stick with what you've got!

Last edited by vegaspilgrim; 03-21-2008 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: oops, meant Norman, not Tulsa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.