Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 01:23 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times

Advertisements

I , personally, am sick to death, of the US being judged as "violent" by folks who don't live here or admire the policies and views of foriegn nations on self defense and crime! My little town was invaded by a street gang some years back. Ahh yes lemme tell you about the rights of honest citizens being violated by humanus rodentius. Well after a few weeks of drive bys and overt harrassment by these thugs things had to happen. An attempted drive by into the house of a local official trying to stem the tide by " legal" ( translated "political") means was met by armed citizens fed up with the situation. Score ..2 "bangers" and a riddled car with the remaining 3 in the vehicle taken into custody. The "problem" has since disappeared. Let me add that this took place in a "nice" area of town but it is quite probable that the result would have been the same in a less affluent area of the valley. The police cracked down, we townsfolk took back our streets, yea...justice was served. Statistics are to be ignored as they are scewed by people who wish to be led by the hand and taken care of counting on 911 to save the day and bashing understaffed police depts when they aren't there the second they hang up the phone! These same type of rabbit breed want law after law passed banning guns and demonizing honest people defending themselves as criminals and vigilantes. The only way to meet violence is with reciprocation ten fold. Unfortunatly our legal system is hung up on the "rights" of criminals and an average joe has a harder time defending his home and family and when he/she does they get lumped into "violence" statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 04:53 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
Redisca,

I put a link up earlier in this thread that showed stats that the US has the highest homicide rate of any industrialized/developed country. It said that the US average crime rate overall was just a little above most industrialized countries, but the homicide rate of the US specifically was a good amount above all of the industrialized countries, some by far.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:59 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Default Basically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
There are black areas that are not dangerous. Has anything ever happened to you in a black area? There is never an excuse to kill someone but in areas that are ravaged with crime, there is always a cause, not an excuse.

There is no ethnic predisposition to violence. I am very proud of the black race for its contributions. Keep in mind that whites have killed lots of people of color but you do not see me afraid of whites. Do some research as to what whites have done in latin america, asia, africa and the middle east. I've done my research and the amount of people of color that whites have killed is staggering, yet I do not have anything against the everday white person.

Constant poverty has severe psychological effects on an individual, yet in the hood, MOST people do not murder or commit bad criminal acts. I am pretty sure that most gang members, if presented with a better alternative before they joined the gang would have chosen to not join the gang.

The black comedians who make fun of whites you have to understand that a portion of their audience are whites and those whites in the audience really do not care. Therefore that is why black comedians are allowed to do it. If the whites who attended these shows protested it, then I am pretty sure they would stop the black comedians. Of course, I do not think any race should say anything derogatory to whites but there are whites who actually laugh when black comedians make fun of whites. If you are so offended, how about not watching these comic shows?

I do not make excuses brother, I work as hard as I can and I have reaped the benefits. If there is high crime in any area, first you must look at the causes, then you have to find positive alternatives to the negative, then you have to teach the youth so that upcoming generations can know how to live positively. There is always a cause as to why a particular situation is not yielding positive results.

I watched a tv show about a rich white man and his wife who spent so many millions of dollars to have an impoverished, high crime, poor black neighborhood. They examined the causes and did not stereotype the blacks and they introduced golf, fixed the housing, improved the education, found the poor jobs. The area is totally opposite than what it was. The crime is WAY low, so many of the black kids there go to college, it is amazing. It looks like a high class neighborhood now. I think it might have either been in Atlanta or somewhere in Michigan...I'm not sure. I think the same thing could be done in any struggling black neighborhood.

You would be surprised as to the total number of middle class/rich suburban whites use drugs are violent and are arrested, yet it does not get reported in the media. I live in Humble, Tx and some of the white kids from the poorer areas commit crimes just as much if not more than the blacks and hispanics who live here.

Instead of blaming, how about we start helping people of ALL races in the world.

Sometimes people in our country don't know when to put down the pluralistic guards and come together to solve problems and we wonder why some things happen today.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:04 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Also, I want to know why drunk driving incidents(a better word, imo), aren't considered to be violent crimes? I would think that they would be considering the nature of the crime.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:20 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Why do you think crime in the USA is still so high compared to almost every other industrialized country?

We are supposed to be the superpower and the best country in the world but our crime rate is still extremely high, especially among already developed countries. We have Major Cities that consistently have higher murder and crime rates than some of the most dangerous developing and third world countries (Detroit, Gary, Cleveland, Oakland, Baltimore, etc.). Even worse, our Capital City (Washington, D.C.) has an extremely high murder and crime rate and is very decayed outside of the mall and government areas, which is an embarrassment. We also still have a very high poverty rate and cant even take care of our own people. Why can other industrialized countries control their crime rates and we cant?

I will find some links in a little while to post on here and show the stats for how bad we are compared to other developed countries.
Because...

1. Our education system is a joke
2. Any loon or criminal can get a gun
3. High unemployment
4. People losing their homes
5. Drug use soaring

I think its mainly due to the first two I mentioned... they then lead to the others

Old 09-12-2008, 11:02 AM

399 posts, read 554,415 times
Because that's closest country Mexico (a third world country) is connected to.
they dont really have any other choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

If the US is such a terrible country, then why does half the world want to come here...both legally and illegally? If this isn't the best country in the world by most measures, which country gets your vote?

Old 09-12-2008, 11:18 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Default Why is the U.S. so violent?

Because we cling to our guns and our religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.