Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:07 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,636,069 times

Advertisements

Please list them. I'm thinking of cities like San Francisco, NYC and Boston. Los Angeles on the other hand is low density urban sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:25 PM

334 posts, read 1,269,018 times
Well dense cities can still have urban sprall, but here we go:

New York City
San Francisco
Chicago
Boston
Miami
Cinncinatti
Pittsburg
Portland
Seattle

Old 08-05-2008, 12:20 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,354,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Los Angeles on the other hand is low density urban sprawl.
So how the **** did it become the densest metro?

Old 08-05-2008, 12:41 AM

382 posts, read 1,054,508 times
DC, Baltimore, Williamton, Philly, Providence, Portland- East Coast cities

^ Rowhouses help make a great, urban density

Old 08-05-2008, 12:49 AM

85 posts, read 122,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
exactly people hate L.A. and want to degrade it because it is coming to power like how all great cities started examples: NYC Chicago once crapy but now great cities

Old 08-05-2008, 05:33 AM

Los Angeles is sprawled out over a vast area. I know it has a few urban neighbourhoods. Los Angeles doesn't look like a city to me. It's a huge plain of adjacent suburbs. Maybe you will understand if I say a more European-style definition of a city.

Even if you're right I'm not interested in Los Angeles for the purpose of making a list over urban U.S cities. Consider Los Angeles excluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post

Old 08-05-2008, 05:43 AM

That is a subject for another thread. I have many relatives in California. I don't hate Los Angeles. There are drawbacks to urbanisation as well. Suburbanisation has occured after WW2 although European cities have not had the same middle class flight from the inner cities. I've only been to one city in the world I truly dislike, it's very urban and dirty, a true cesspool - London. Hate is a strong word I like to avoid. It's way too emotional for my taste.

I just prefer compact cities where you don't live miles from local shops, workplaces and friend's houses. Urban sprawl has also eaten itself into countryside. It also leads to car dependence with increased carbon footprint and lack of exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker View Post
exactly people hate L.A. and want to degrade it because it is coming to power like how all great cities started examples: NYC Chicago once crapy but now great cities

Old 08-05-2008, 05:54 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,902 times
I know it is a fact that L.A. is the densest city in the U.S. but to the casual observer it is hard to understand compared to a New York or a Chicago or Boston or Philly. There must be a whole lot of people crammed into each one of those little suburban bungalows.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 AM

699 posts, read 2,237,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I know it is a fact that L.A. is the densest city in the U.S. but to the casual observer it is hard to understand compared to a New York or a Chicago or Boston or Philly. There must be a whole lot of people crammed into each one of those little suburban bungalows.
Actually, New York, Chicago, Boston, and Philly are all denser than Los Angeles. Los Angeles is not the densest city in the U.S.

Edit:

I see krudmonk meant metro. That actually may be true that L.A. is the densest metropolitan area. Because outside of the central areas (New York, Chicago, Boston Philly), the outlying areas and suburbs can have very low density compared to Los Angeles' uniform density throughout its metro region.

Last edited by tenken627; 08-05-2008 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-05-2008, 10:47 AM

Thanks. I do find the discussion interesting. However, the thread is not about the densest American city. It's rather just a list of urban American cities. Add L.A if you like. I will exclude it in my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.