Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:07 PM

11 posts, read 38,926 times

Advertisements

in Georgia Green County high school the boys and girls don't share classes any more. the aim is to lift rock bottom test scores, reduce teen pregnancy and improve dicipline .the administrator says that when they separate boys and girls each group performs better and they r likely to graduate and attend college.i think they should give it a chance..what do think of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 02:54 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,772,246 times
I'm from Ireland, where most schools are single sex (and have uniforms). I think it is a good idea- it helps everyone concentrate on learning rather than looking pretty/ entertaining the other sex.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:40 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
I'm from Ireland, where most schools are single sex (and have uniforms). I think it is a good idea- it helps everyone concentrate on learning rather than looking pretty/ entertaining the other sex.
Unless...you're gay.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,287 times
Default Single sex classes

I appreciate your idea,by seperating girls and boys in different class rooms,we can reduce the mental and physical relationships between them,so that we can get control on teen pregnancy and also as you said that will improve their performance in studies.
Best of luck to implement this.
============================================
alesian

Florida Drug Treatment

Old 08-16-2008, 05:08 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,086,477 times
We have two middle schools that just started this year and I think this is kinda a test. If it works out, more may come.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:36 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
I think it's a wonderful idea. I used to teach in an all girls school, and it was wonderful. Those girls were absolute geniuses. However, as soon as a boy from the neighboring boys school walked in, the girls became blithering idiots. Same went for the boys school next door. Those boys were geniuses and well behaved, but as soon as a girl walked in they all became neanderthals.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:53 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,353,364 times
I attended an all-male high school. Other than the typical "gay" taunts from the ignoramuses enduring public education, it was quite preferable. It made the learning environment more focused but did not inhibit people's sociability. The positive experience had a lot to do with progressive Jesuit teachings, too.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
I believe several studies have been done over the years that prove kids to much better when they have single-sex schools, and also wear uniforms. The problem is, when you try to do it in a community, the parents start complaining almost immediately because they say it "inconveniences them" to take their son and daughter to two different schools, etc.

I think it should be done on a Federal level, with all states having to completely revamp their school systems to meet a country wide standard uniform/single-sex school model. No, it won't happen, but it would greatly improve or eliminate many of the problems public schools are facing today.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:18 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,086,477 times
The schools here have been uniformed for many years now thank goodness but I would like to see more single sex schools come.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:31 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,456,942 times
I think it's a great idea. Most of the elementary schools have gone to uniforms and believe some middle schools. Kids are in school to learn, not compete for beauty, rank with the opposite sex or fashions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.