Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 10:56 AM

271 posts, read 657,615 times

Advertisements

Any Moderator cut: see comment on here? Someone who packed up and moved with little to no money and no job waiting? Where did you go? What did you do? How did you get there? How did you find a job?

I'm a single male in my 40's and work in a high turnover, low paying field. I don't need much $$$ since I don't mind living a simple life however I would like to get away from where I'm living now due to A) The cost of living being so high that I'm having a hard time affording simple pleasures and B) The character of the area just does not suit my personality.

I can figure out how to handle A) but don't want to because of B)

Once I move to wherever I move to it probably won't take me too long to find a job due to my education, experience and background but A) I would probably need to be a state resident first which would be kind of hard if I don't have a local address and B) I want to get out of the field I'm in due to just plain burn-out and would probably try to get into something that I have limited to no experience in.

I'm a gypsie . I want to try anything anywhere and with no family to support I can. Big city, small town....North, South, East, West I don't care. Anyone else like this? Anyone ever had the courage to follow through? Talk to me. I want to hear stories

I know of two.
1) A couple from New York moved out to Port Townsend, Washington. They have never been there before, didn't know of anyone there, they just looked at a map, liked the name so they moved. (This was before the age of computers too)

2) A couple from South America (Argentina I think), sold all their stuff, hopped aboard their bicycles and pedaled their way north. Once they reached Fairbanks, Alaska they brought a broken down old building, renovated it into a hostel and are now welcoming travellers from all over the world

Last edited by Bo; 12-15-2009 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: Removed/replaced term "gypsies" and merged two posts. "Gypsies" was confusing and possibly offensive to an ethnic group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Are you talking about actual gypsies? I think they prefer to be called Roma or in English speaking countries, Travelers (English, Irish, Scottish)

These are basically ethnic groups, one can't just become one.

If you just mean being an itinerant, someone of no fixed address, there are certainly people living that lifestyle in the U.S. There are RVers who are mostly wealthy retired people, lots of hippies who live communally and usually traveling in old school buses (in Britain they are often referred to as 'New Age Travelers'), and various groups that would basically be considered homeless, like modern day hobos.

It seems like it would be an interesting lifestyle.

I would avoid using the term gypsy, though, since it refers to an ethnic group and while I don't find it offensive, per se, it is ambiguous as it conjures images of a specific people sharing cultural and linguistic features, not simply an itinerant lifestyle, indeed many gypsies own land and do not move about.

All that said, I'm surprised that you haven't gotten any responses since city-data would be a great resource for someone pursuing that lifestyle!

ABQConvict

Old 12-15-2009, 10:12 AM

101 posts, read 763,582 times
Gypsies are of Indian origin.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:19 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,109 times
I was born in So. California and knew I needed to get out. I left at 27 and moved to No. California and lived with my sister. Did temp jobs for a bit and got a permanent job after about a month. My sis and I left No. Cal 2 years later for Phoenix, AZ. Where we lived in No. Cal was just too small without enough single men or night-life. We both found men in Phoenix and also live close to good friends. I'm happy here, but my sister is wanting to take off on a new adventure and is considering Denver for her next stop. I had a little money when I moved to Phoenix, but not much. It took me 5 weeks to get a permanent job. I moved with my car loaded with belongings and pets. I had visited here enough to know where I wanted to live and we had an apartment waiting.

The term gypsy apparently has taken on a derogatory meaning. I know it represents clans of travelers from Romania or other eastern European countries. They prefer Roma, we call them gypsies. My encounters with them in the U.S. have been anything but favorable.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
The term gypsy apparently has taken on a derogatory meaning. I know it represents clans of travelers from Romania or other eastern European countries. They prefer Roma, we call them gypsies. My encounters with them in the U.S. have been anything but favorable.
I've switched to a different term in the thread title for this reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.