Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 06:13 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshiKitty View Post
Hello, I am disabled due to chronic physical illness (not in a wheelchair), and am on SSI only (far below poverty level) as income. I would like to know where the best place in the nation would be for me to live. It would have to have extremely inexpensive housing (and Section 8), good doctors who take whatever insurance you get in that state if you are on SSI only as income, and local people who would not be discriminatory & snobby towards those on disability.
Most larger cities would fit the bill. You would also have access to more quality medical facilities, doctors, public transportation and other free services you may qualify for. You're also going to be among a larger group of similar individuals so you won't encounter the discrimination/attitude you might find in a smaller town.

You might check out Salt Lake City, Utah.
Salt Lake City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not too far a distance to move which should be appealing (750 miles), it's a nice sized city with great medical facilities (University of Utah's Medical Center and Physician Facilities are excellent.. University Health Care Community Clinics University Health Care - Community Clinics), it's a beautiful city with clean air, it's not a city with high crime, great public transit (Riding UTA) and affordable housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 09:07 PM

465 posts, read 507,734 times
I know this is a really old post but I'm kind of in the same situation but I've seen where a lot of states add to it. So I'm not as nervous about moving when that time comes. Also there's Section 8 or HUD if you prefer pretty much every county/city in the U.S. But I have found some areas don't cover meds as well as other states. I would recommend visiting a place and visiting disabled/low income people before I moved.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:42 AM

49 posts, read 74,539 times
Washington, D.C.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
Are any of you dependent on public transportation? That might narrow things down a bit.....(to larger, older cities not in the sunbelt)

Old 12-20-2010, 07:19 PM

465 posts, read 507,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I don't know a lot related to most of your questions (such as where most doctors would accept your insurance), but one question I have about this is whether your SSI benefit is adjusted to fit the cost of living in the area where you live. If it stays the same no matter where you live, then you need to do some research on the least expensive places to live. To start with, though, you would most likely want to avoid the Northeast corridor and the West Coast states. There might be some exceptions, which is part of the reason for researching cost of living, but generally within a region large metro areas will be more expensive than smaller metros and non-suburban small towns.
It depends on the state for example TN adds nothing because it has a low cost of living but other places add anywhere from $20 to $200(ish) a month. I'm also trying to find a good area to live that meets my special needs so I've been asking a lot of questions in the different cities/states and even the U.S. general forums.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:24 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
August 2008 OP hasn't returned. Still good info for those in the same imposition.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,819 times
yes my name is Harold Amos on ssi & a vetern and want to know the best place for me to live ?

Old 03-20-2011, 03:52 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Harold you might want to check out Waco Texas for retirement as a vet.

Waco Texas is listed as number one for the retired vets according to USAA.

USAA’s 10 Best Place for Military Retirement

Link USAA

Old 04-19-2011, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 12,466 times
Default Hello i'm a double aka ampttee no lega 15 years this month on the 12 from stoned drunk driver

I am very lucky to be alive woke up from coma on my 23 b-day im turning 38 may 3rd ! thrying to sell my home in Philadelphia after 15 years cant afford it ! Only receive SSI income ! Was in another Septa crash 3 years ago now i have a bad left rotator cuff and severe arthritis and tentedintis also carpol tunnel in both hands no legs above knees also may have brain injury ! Getting another nerologist test on my head next monday ! Lokking to find a safe arroedable condo or place for me and my service dog who is 55 lbs also a rescue 9ib dog a chawahwia ! If anyone knows where i am looking to move somewhere warm all year around ! I cant do cold weather anymore I also have beginning of osteopenia too ! So if anyone has anny advice please let me know i'm new to this thank you !

Old 04-19-2011, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 12,466 times
Red face What i think of country over city people !

I don't think people in the city realize or people in the country realize how different the life styles are ! But i myself love to visit the county areas but because I myself don't drive! It is harder to get around especially if you're in a roarel area ! I think people should not judge before you visit either the city or the country ! I have a person opinon on the country areas ! I just think it is more layed back ! Not as stessful like the city is The city is overcrowed in PHiladelphia anyway ! Also it is just a faste pace in the city ! Most of the time to socialize with city people it is sooo different ! In so many ways of life styes ect..! For example to us in the citiy ! The City people don't hear the negative things as much! I know that to be true ! When I talk to to my friends outside the city in upstate country areas in Pa ! For example we in th city don't get to hear about the same stuff ! The Media is the reason i think ! We don't see or get to hear really like crimes or cruely of aniamal etc...! As much as people in the country areas! Now i'm sure on TV they are always talking about negative news and facts about the city no matter where in this country ! All over this country ! That is just the way it has always been in America ! Alot has to do with Media !! I blame the media for that ! No hard feelings against people from the country areas from me ! Just too hard for me as a disabled amputtee to get around without a car that's all for me ! I don't feel like i am better then anyone anywhere that is distrimination ! I think that's bit judgemental ! So hope you can change you're mind maybe spend some quality time in the city ! With a good friend that can really show or introduce you to more city people ! Good luck hope this helped alittlle take care ! Sorry my typing sucks i have severe carpol tunnel too !

Last edited by melody talarico; 04-19-2011 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: SELLING !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.