Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:41 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Only a Southerner knows the difference between a hissis fit and a conniption fit,
and they don't have them, they pitch them.

Only a Southerner can show or point out to you a general direction of "yonder"

Only a Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is, as in "going to town be back "directly"

A Southerner knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun,verb or an adverb.

Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related,even if only by marriage.

In the South, y'all is singular, all y'all is plural.

A true Southerner knows ,you don't scream obscenties at little old ladies,
who drive 30 MPH on the freeway.You jst say "Bless her heart and go on you way.

To those of you who are still a little embarrassed by your Southerness: take 2 tent revivals and a dose of sauage gravy.
and call me in the morning.

And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff, Bless your hearts.
I hear they are fixin" to have classes on Southerness as a second language.

And for those that are not from the South,but have been here for awhile,
All y'all need a sign to hang on y'alls front porch that reads..........I ain't from the South, but I got here as fast as I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 01:44 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Only a Southerner knows the difference between a hissis fit and a conniption fit,
and they don't have them, they pitch them.

Only a Southerner can show or point out to you a general direction of "yonder"

Only a Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is, as in "going to town be back "directly"

A Southerner knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun,verb or an adverb.

Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're related,even if only by marriage.

In the South, y'all is singular, all y'all is plural.

A true Southerner knows ,you don't scream obscenties at little old ladies,
who drive 30 MPH on the freeway.You jst say "Bless her heart and go on you way.

To those of you who are still a little embarrassed by your Southerness: take 2 tent revivals and a dose of sauage gravy.
and call me in the morning.

And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this Southern stuff, Bless your hearts.
I hear they are fixin" to have classes on Southerness as a second language.

And for those that are not from the South,but have been here for awhile,
All y'all need a sign to hang on y'alls front porch that reads..........I ain't from the South, but I got here as fast as I could.
Y'all is NOT plural. You would never address a single person as Y'all. Who the heck wrote this misinformation?

Old 08-21-2008, 01:47 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times
Found it on a southern family forum.

John

Old 08-21-2008, 01:51 PM

542 posts, read 557,270 times
You is singular.
Y'all is personal plural, meaning everyone listening.
All y'all is general plural, meaning everyone that fits into the context of what the speaker is saying, not just those present.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:54 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
You is singular.
Y'all is personal plural, meaning everyone listening.
All y'all is general plural, meaning everyone that fits into the context of what the speaker is saying, not just those present.
Exactly. Y'all is definitely never used singularly. Non-southerners for some reason think that southerners say this. They (we) don't.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:54 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Y'all is NOT plural. You would never address a single person as Y'all. Who the heck wrote this misinformation?
No no no. Not y'all... ALL y'all is plural

Old 08-21-2008, 03:00 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times
If you and your brother are coming over to my house later and you were the only one talking to me, I would say "what time are y'all coming over?". You are representing the group of people.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
No no no. Not y'all... ALL y'all is plural

No. Y'all is used for two or more people being directly addressed. All y'all is used for a group of indeterminate size.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:45 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,975 times
I like how a lot of people not from the south laugh when we say y'all like it is backwoods speak. I know German has a y'all equivalent and I'm pretty sure French does too. Is the greater part of western Europe redneck? hmm.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Sorry. I mean to type that Y'all is not singular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.