Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:24 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times

Advertisements

In Albuquerque everything west of the Rio Grande should be its own city. The city limits spread too far and this definitely does not feel like a city that has over a 500,000 within the city limits. The West Side already feels pretty much separated anyhow and it's where most of the newer development is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 04:23 PM

70 posts, read 165,279 times
Binghamton, NY is way, way too small for this, obviously. But the question has always intrigued me, since, due to the rivers, Binghamton is made up of three sections that aren't landlocked at all. Boundaries by nature.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Boston would lose Charlestown ( look at it it really isn't in the city it's across the charles) it would be a richer Chelsea.
Chelsea is on the other side of the river. Maybe Charlestown belongs better with Somerville?

Old 06-21-2013, 09:11 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,857,622 times
DC can probably be split into quite a few cities, but I'll try my best to stick to three.

1) West of Rock Creek. Call it "Greater Georgetown," if you'd like. This one is the most obvious.
2) East of the Anacostia River. Arguably most of the Northeast could go with Anacostia but I'll use the river as the simpler divider.
3) Washington (what's left).

If I were to break it into four cities, I would go with "greater Georgetown," "Old City" (inside Florida and Benning to the river), "Anacostia," and "North DC." (You could combine Anacostia with North DC, if you want three cities of similar size).

(Or if you're going with the current Wards, something like this):

Old 06-21-2013, 10:33 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Chelsea is on the other side of the river. Maybe Charlestown belongs better with Somerville?
No, Charlestown would become its own city, similar to Chelsea, only Richer
Both are geographically similar, out on a penisula, cut by an elevated Highway, and similar in population and area.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
For Houston it would be

1. Inner loop.
Includes downtown and has a population of about 500, 000

2. Galleria Southwest
Includes uptown, the pricey memorial villages and a population of almost 1 million people

3. The rest
This includes the north west, north east, and south east side.
It is most of the land area of the city but only has about 700,000 people

Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No, Charlestown would become its own city, similar to Chelsea, only Richer
Both are geographically similar, out on a penisula, cut by an elevated Highway, and similar in population and area.
I just assume lump Chelsea in with the city of Boston. Throw Revere and Winthrop in for good measure. All of Suffolk County should just be Boston. Revere and Chelsea just seem to be a continuation of East Boston. Boston doesn't need to be split, it needs consolidation.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:35 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
Seattle itself is pretty small in land area but you could split it from west seattle/south seattle/ and downtown north. Only way i could see it. The region itself is 3 areas with the city of seattle itself, the eastside (Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, and Renton) which is a busness center and upper middle class area, and south king county (Kent, Federal Way, Auburn, Sea-Tac) which is more suburban spawl and working class.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Pittsburgh used to be three different cities and a small town. Downtown and the East End neighborhoods (between the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers) were the original Pittsburgh. The North Side neighborhoods (north of the Allegheny and Ohio Rivers) all used to be the city of Allegheny, and the South Side and South Hills neighborhoods (south of the Monongahela River) all used to be the city of Birmingham. The West End neighborhoods (south of the Ohio River) used to be a small hollow town called Temperanceville.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:24 PM

462 posts, read 720,584 times
Huntsville, AL:
Rocket Strip (or Redstone) - everything south of Martin Road and Four Mile Post Road.
Millton - Everything South of Governors Drive and West of Memorial Parkway
Twickenham - Downtown and the rest of the city.

I don't know what to do with all the newly annexed areas.

Last edited by Hamtonfordbury; 06-21-2013 at 09:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.