Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 12:38 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times

Advertisements

I think redneck is more a state of mind that a region.

Basically any rural place will have rednecks somewhere. Maybe moreso in the south, but rednecks are everywhere.

And I really don't mind rednecks. Most rednecks I know are nice people who will defend their way of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 12:41 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I think redneck is more a state of mind that a region.

Basically any rural place will have rednecks somewhere. Maybe moreso in the south, but rednecks are everywhere.

And I really don't mind rednecks. Most rednecks I know are nice people who will defend their way of life.
I strongly agree with your statement. Rep point for you my friend.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:07 PM

40 posts, read 153,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaKopp View Post
Hi everyone. My family is thinking of making a move. Any ideas on where to find this would be very much appreciated! These are the things that we are looking for:

Nice family community
4 seasons, we enjoy all seasons including fall and snowstorms in the winter
pretty area with mature trees and some lakes
good schools
prefer an area with a university near by but doesn't have to be
progressive thinking area, no redneck areas
affordable housing

Also, any website suggestions for further research?
Thank you for your suggestions!!!!
Well if you want red neck free areas I recommend you stay out of Ohio, but looking at your other criteria, I would suggest Chicago or maybe St Louis.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:37 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaKopp View Post
Hi everyone. My family is thinking of making a move. Any ideas on where to find this would be very much appreciated! These are the things that we are looking for:

Nice family community
4 seasons, we enjoy all seasons including fall and snowstorms in the winter
pretty area with mature trees and some lakes
good schools
prefer an area with a university near by but doesn't have to be
progressive thinking area, no redneck areas
affordable housing

Also, any website suggestions for further research?
Thank you for your suggestions!!!!
Im not sure of the type of university you are referring to (something bigger with high level sports teams, or what), but what you are describing fits Parkville, MO very nicely. It is a suburb of Kansas City to the north that feels nothing like a suburb. It has Park University there.

I would check it out if I were you. Very nice area and Kansas City is a very nice city.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:53 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Agree on the rednecks being everywhere, but I disagree about your argument of lots of rednecks in St. Louis. Most if not all of the suburbs are completely free of them. I have yet to meet a redneck from St. Louis County. Most rednecks in the Midwest from my experience tend to be in the rural areas outside of the cities, not in them per se.
Maybe I'm just familiar with a different part of St. Louis county. I've run into that type in gas stations and fast food places frequently. They do seem to be in minority.
I hate to keep disagreeing like this, but Kansas City is overrun with rednecks. I'm surrounded by them on my street.. sometimes they even wear overalls, with no shirts, and have jacked up trucks, and I've seen people ride their 4-wheelers around town. No kidding. I work with two of them.
Kansas City is a really nice town, don't get me wrong.

I don't mean to make the term redneck sound bad, by the way. I don't mind terribly much to live next door to them, usually. It would be nice if they would fire up the weed-eater from time to time. Maybe use the driveway, and not the yard or front porch (just around the corner, I kid you not), to park their vehicles in.

Ideally, everybody could live in harmony next to everybody else. Usually, however, we just take after our parents, who took after their parents, and so on, and just flock together with people who think and live the same way we do. I think it has more to do with culture than color of the skin, I think.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:12 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,497 times
Basically you want a utopia.No where like this in the Midwest-NOWHERE!

Old 08-31-2008, 07:54 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but as a native of a northern state I can tell you there are just about as many rednecks in most northern states as there are in any other region of the country.
Yes, but your rednecks seem more refined and subdued, IME, than the ones we got down this way.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:33 PM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Yes, but your rednecks seem more refined and subdued, IME, than the ones we got down this way.
True. Redneckitis up North is more subtle than southern regions where it is overtly displayed. But it is every bit as strong in many areas of the North.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:35 PM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Maybe I'm just familiar with a different part of St. Louis county. I've run into that type in gas stations and fast food places frequently. They do seem to be in minority.
I hate to keep disagreeing like this, but Kansas City is overrun with rednecks. I'm surrounded by them on my street.. sometimes they even wear overalls, with no shirts, and have jacked up trucks, and I've seen people ride their 4-wheelers around town. No kidding. I work with two of them.
Kansas City is a really nice town, don't get me wrong.

I don't mean to make the term redneck sound bad, by the way. I don't mind terribly much to live next door to them, usually. It would be nice if they would fire up the weed-eater from time to time. Maybe use the driveway, and not the yard or front porch (just around the corner, I kid you not), to park their vehicles in.

Ideally, everybody could live in harmony next to everybody else. Usually, however, we just take after our parents, who took after their parents, and so on, and just flock together with people who think and live the same way we do. I think it has more to do with culture than color of the skin, I think.
Yes, this has been my experience in Kansas City. I've run into more ignorant, paranoid and backwards jackasses in the KC area than ANY rural community or metro area that I've lived. Forget how they look or what they drive, it is how they act, think and behave that confirms they are pinheads.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:21 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but as a native of a northern state I can tell you there are just about as many rednecks in most northern states as there are in any other region of the country.
I disagree with that. I am talking about urban/suburban areas. You will not find nearly as many rednecks in places like Chicago/Cleveland than you will in places like Kansas City/Cincinnati and south of that. Of course there will be rednecks in nearly every rural area but in the more southern areas they are even in the suburban and more urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.