Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:23 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times

Advertisements

I am interested in knowing from people that ride light rail in the few cities in the country that have them. How fares are collected or verified? Here in Portland there has been light rail since 1986. The system has been continuously extended as it is being done presently. However there has never been anything done that guarantees a fare has been paid. It is obvious to anyone that rides these trains for any length of time, that many are not paying for a ticket. The checking by fare inspectors is rarely ever done, and when it is done, it is in the most poorest sections of the region. I think that in itself is not right. My feeling is every rail system should be forced to have a system in place that collects fares. If it does not have a system in place, it should not not be allowed to raise fares. How does your city verify payment has been made on its trains? Does it have a system in place that guarantees everyone has paid? It was determined here in Portland that the transit company is allowing itself to lose thousands of dollars per day in lost revenue. I guess that is how subsidized systems such as the light rail here stay in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 10:36 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Some people will almost always find ways to cheat the system, whatever the system may be. If you have ticket validation, some people will just hope they don't get caught by inspectors. If you have turnstiles, some people will just hop over the turnstiles. You could have officials on-board to validate tix like some systems in Europe, but is the cost of those wages more or less than what you lose from fare-skippers?

All three light rail systems in New Jersey operate using pre-boarding ticket validation (or monthly passes) and patrols by on-board inspection agents. I've only once seen someone pulled off the train because they didn't have a valid ticket.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:11 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
San Diego uses an honor system like most light rail systems in the US. The fare evasion rate is fairly low though and I've seen them ticket plenty of people and even arrest some when they discover the person has a warrant.

A recent fare evasion study for the LA MTA on their rail system showed the fare evasion rates varied greatly by line, the Green Line had by far the highest at around 10% while the rest were less than 3% generally. They also use the honor system but are changing to turnstiles on a few lines.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
In St. Louis I'm sure there are people who avoid the fare.

But it's $2 each way, and it does seem like most people pay it.

I forget what the penalty is if they catch you boarding without a ticket.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
There are actually 30 systems in the US, here are stats on them:

List of United States light rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are also 20 commuter systems in the US, dominated by New York and Chicago.

There are also 16 heavy rail systems in the US.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:23 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,607 times
That's how Denver's lightrail is. Noone is ever checking to see if I've paid. I've ridden it numerous times and have never seen anyone check.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:54 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Good comments and information. I think the rate of non payment can vary, especially in what regions these light rail lines serve. All in all I am glad we have Light Rail here in Portland, but I dont' feel the honor system is appropriate or fair, at least in this town. Our rate of non payment is extremely high and several times this year has made the news. The news channels here did investigations on the non payment as well as safety concerns on the systems. It was found as many as 4 out of 10 people were not paying fares daily. Yes it irks me since I am retired and live on a pension and pay the 3 to 4 times a week I must ride this train. I just want the systems to be fair to everyone everwhere.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:27 PM

89 posts, read 380,477 times
I use the Denver one all the time. and i would say like 1 out of every 15 rides, there was someone checking the tickets. I did see someone got in trouble for not having a ticket. And on some special occasions (Football game, baseball game, etc), they have lots of people checking the tickets, not in the trains, but after boarding.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:03 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,447 times
Salt Lake City's light rail is the same. Plenty of times you won't see a transit cop checking tickets but I rarely see someone evade the fare. The fine is $75 if you're caught.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
I ride Minneapolis's from time to time. I've seen transit police check for fares maybe 40-50% of the times I've ridden. Only saw them bust one person, a well-dressed middle aged woman with a little black suitcase, appeared to be an airline stewardess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.