Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:07 PM

107 posts, read 358,874 times

Advertisements

Why not go by population of the metro area? This system is not perfect, but it has a profound impact on a metro area's influence.

I always thought of Atlanta as a regional center for the SE states, not including Texas and Florida. Minneapolis is the hub for the upper midwest. Chicago is a national metro, while LA, DC and NYC are global. DC because it is the capital of a world superpower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 02:32 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Nobody, nobody..... NOBODY has the privilege to judge the 'tier' of cities. Each has its own value. Ever been to Omaha during the college world series. First. Tier.

And LA, first frakkin tier... ???? HA ! ! ! What.... A.... Crock, Ray!
So why dont you try practicing what you "frakkin" preach instead of being hypocritically debunking LA as a 1st tier city (with your obvious biases)?

Puting a ranking or tier on a city is extremely subjective. Whereas someone will put SLC (as an extreme example) as third tier, others would put it in first.

On the side, if there was a logical way to tier cities that would take into account everyones perception of what is a great city, LA would be a tier 1 city with NY and CHI. Those three would pretty much be the locks.

Last edited by wesside; 09-11-2008 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: eidt

Old 09-11-2008, 02:36 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Girl View Post
First:
New York City
Los Angeles
Chicago

Second:
Boston
San Francisco
Philadelphia
Seattle
DC
San Diego
Dallas
Nashville
New Orleans
Las Vegas

Third:
Houston
Miami
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Columbus
Milwaukee
Detroit
Portland
Memphis
Indianapolis
Minneapolis
Atlanta
Phoenix
Denver
Kansas City
St. Louis
Hmm, not sure what the criteria is here, but how did the cities highlighted in the second tier make the cut while you have three cities in the third tier whose metro areas are in the top 10 of the US?

Old 09-11-2008, 02:41 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,646,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
It sounds like you have never tried mint shakes. Go try an actual mint shake and come back when you have an informed opinion buddy! Sheesh!!
I just had one, it was soooo McDonaldish in quality. I don't really get mint shake people they act like it's heaven sent when in reality cheesecake is more versatile, it can be eaten for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, whenever. Cheesecake is worldwide baby and come in more flavors than I can count. When you go to the Mint Shake Factory, then you can talk,BUDDY (that sounded convincing).

Old 09-11-2008, 05:04 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
it should be sweet potato pie with cool whip
Oh my sweet Jesus that is so incredibly good. As a matter of fact, if you mess up a sweet potato pie ( my favorite food, period), I tend to hate you for at least a week.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:41 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
why does citydata have so many stupid threads like this. Somebody picks cities and puts a bunch on third that you know she has never travelled to them all that she is ranking. I may be wrong. Maybe she did, but still?

I am just saying. I am a poster on SSP much more than here. ON that forum, if somebody tries a city bashing or city vs city thread it is locked. It creates more intelligent urban discussions rather than, "My city is pretty, and your's smells" type arguments.

Although, I do see that far more people see the later thread much more fun and exciting, and I guess this is the forum for it.
what is SSP?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
why does citydata have so many stupid threads like this. Somebody picks cities and puts a bunch on third that you know she has never travelled to them all that she is ranking. I may be wrong. Maybe she did, but still?

I am just saying. I am a poster on SSP much more than here. ON that forum, if somebody tries a city bashing or city vs city thread it is locked. It creates more intelligent urban discussions rather than, "My city is pretty, and your's smells" type arguments.

Although, I do see that far more people see the later thread much more fun and exciting, and I guess this is the forum for it.
HAHAHAHA. So true.
For example, is it any coincidence that SeattleGirl arbitrarly puts Seattle as a tier two, yet Houston a tier 3? I guess god hand chose her to place cities in a tiered system and hand pick what goes where based on impressions she gets from collateral resources. Brillllliant

Anyways, I agree. I wish citydata locked these stupid threads that encourage people to make create a thread: why my City is great, and entice people to bash each others cities blindly.

Last edited by wesside; 09-11-2008 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,767,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
what is SSP?
i don't know what it is

lol now quick wesside take the quote out!!

Last edited by Billiam; 09-11-2008 at 06:17 PM..

Old 09-11-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
skyscraperpage.com
I was hoping nobody would reveal SSP. Dont want a bunch of cityforum biased fanboys swarming that page with their nonsense.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:08 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
Die thread, die...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.