Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 08:16 AM

414 posts, read 1,009,953 times

Advertisements

Which of these states would you consider the "best" (criteria given in a moment) for a young couple?

Here's the "criteria"...safety, good quality of life, tranquil environment, good job opportunities...jobs for teachers is a must...places to shop (large or small), a cost of living that a young married couple (both with jobs) could "afford" (we would rent for a while), indoor/outdoor activities and of course dog friendly (a very small dog).

Here are the states (in no particular order) to rank...1 is the best, 6 is the worst.

South Carolina
Montana
Ohio
Maryland
Hawaii
California

Let's see what you all think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 07:32 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post
Which of these states would you consider the "best" (criteria given in a moment) for a young couple?

Here's the "criteria"...safety, good quality of life, tranquil environment, good job opportunities...jobs for teachers is a must...places to shop (large or small), a cost of living that a young married couple (both with jobs) could "afford" (we would rent for a while), indoor/outdoor activities and of course dog friendly (a very small dog).

Here are the states (in no particular order) to rank...1 is the best, 6 is the worst.

South Carolina
Montana
Ohio
Maryland
Hawaii
California

Tough to answer. Each of these states is so large that much would depend where you want to live. There are plenty of tranquil parts of California, but there are also hectic urban areas too. Dog-friendliness could vary from neighborhood to neighborhood, in any city, in any of these states. Also, California and Hawaii would have to rank very high on the list of indoor/outdoor recreation opportunities, but very low on the cost of living. The criteria that are most important to you would have a big impact on picking a state.

All this being said, here's what I would give for my ranking:

California
Maryland
Montana
Hawaii
South Carolina
Ohio

Old 09-21-2008, 07:46 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,953 times
Yea, that's kinda what I'm trying to figure out. I just like seeing how other people classify things and why just to get different perspectives! It's always nice to see other points of view than just your own!

So I guess...rank them in the order of importance for YOU and maybe list what is important for you.

I suppose I could do mine lol.

Hawaii
Montana
California
Maryland
South Carolina
Ohio

Here are my reasonings...Hawaii and Montana are very high on the list b/c of the setting...different but both very outdoorsy and lots to do...California is in the middle b/c there is much to do, a nice atmosphere in some areas...I don't like the COL (though Hawaii is no better) and I am not sure how I would fit in there...and the weather is pretty agreeable! Maryland has a lot to offer historically and is close to DC which has much to offer. South Carolina has a beach and a nice atmosphere but I live in Ohio so enough said lol.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:00 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
California
Maryland

That's my list.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:42 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
Best:
Montana
Hawaii
California

Worst:
South Carolina
Ohio
Maryland

Old 09-21-2008, 08:50 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspink View Post

South Carolina
Montana
Ohio
Maryland
Hawaii
California

well it varys a ton in each seciton of these states, but overall, id go like this

Based on Criteria : Safety
Montana
Hawaii
California
Maryland
Ohio
SC

quality of life
California
Hawaii
Maryland
Montana Ohio South Carolina tie

Job opportunities
California
Maryland
Hawaii
Ohio
South Carolina
Montana

Teachers, i wouldn't really know, sorry

places to shop
California
Maryland
Ohio
Hawaii
SC
Montana

a cost of living that a young married couple (both with jobs) could "afford
Montana
South Carolina
Ohio
California/MD in the right places

indoor/outdoor activities
Montana
California
Maryland
Ohio/South Carolina

dog friendly, wouldn't really know about this either.

Hope its helpful!

Old 09-22-2008, 01:36 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
The only thing is, all of these states greatly vary depending on which part you are in.

You be in the middle of Amish country or at the Cleveland Orchestra and still be in Ohio. Or you could be at a USC game or be walking along the Mojave desert and still be in Cali.

I'd bet you could be satisfied in any one of these states if you picked the right spot.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:05 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,430,669 times
California
Hawaii
Maryland
Ohio
South Carolina
Montana

Old 09-22-2008, 05:02 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
South Carolina
Maryland
Montana
Hawaii
Ohio
California

I think South Carolina offers the best combination of everything you are looking for. Ohio would be better if only the economy would improve. Hawaii is isolated and california is at the bottom because it is not nearly as nice as it was even 20 years ago. The quality of life is horrible there these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.