Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 01:44 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Money nor education will diminish a southern accent...money and education diminish poverty and stupidity. That leaves a pleasant-sounding southern accent.
Please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 04:57 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Please explain.
Wealth and/or education don't affect a person's accent...but they can easily affect a person's economic conditions and lack of knowledge - and those are two of the main factors that determine how well a person speaks...whether he uses proper English. The southern accent will still be present, but it sounds totally different when one speaks clearly and properly. I think that money and education definitely help in that area...but they won't change your accent.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:08 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
^^ Newport, RI.

As a native NYer (and amateur poet), I don't care how much TV you make me watch or how much time you make me spend in California--"gong" and "song" do not rhyme, "berry" and "marry" do not rhyme, but "born" and "spawn" certainly do! It just sounds wrong to me otherwise, that's what I grew up hearing... yeah, I'm defensive about my accent haha.

I speak the same way And it doesn't have anything to do with education level. My family came from an upper-middle class area and most people in the area came from the city and spoke that way. My best friend growing up was from a pretty wealthy family and her parents had the same thick accent. I hear the same accent in the south Bronx where I teach.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:33 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
^^ Newport, RI.

As a native NYer (and amateur poet), I don't care how much TV you make me watch or how much time you make me spend in California--"gong" and "song" do not rhyme, "berry" and "marry" do not rhyme, but "born" and "spawn" certainly do!
What do they sound like then? I just can't picture it

Old 12-06-2008, 07:40 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Wealth and/or education don't affect a person's accent...but they can easily affect a person's economic conditions and lack of knowledge - and those are two of the main factors that determine how well a person speaks...whether he uses proper English. The southern accent will still be present, but it sounds totally different when one speaks clearly and properly. I think that money and education definitely help in that area...but they won't change your accent.
I agree, your accent will always be there to an extent. As your ed. level increases your word choice and pronunciation may change but the accent will remain.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Here in Missouri older people of all socio-economic groups tend to have essentially the same inflections, accent-wise. The more affluent (educated) of course use much better grammar and wouldn't be caught dead uttering that oft-heard phrase "we've went there" or "we ain't got none" (shudder).

The younger folks, on the other hand, who still have the need to both fit in an impress, and who are of the upper classes (or who wish to be perceived as such), adopt this annoying "valley girl" type accent that just reeks phony-baloney but makes them feel very upscale and trendy.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-12-2008, 11:58 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times
Quote:
I see what you're saying. I have had English teachers with thick accents but they used proper grammar. Your accent doesn't affect your grammar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.